Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

importance of extension for s/e listings

How important is the domain extension to get high s/e rankings?

• Unimportant

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Extremely Important

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

how important is the extension of the domain name in terms of getting high s/e listings?

is there any benefit for the purpose of search engine optimisation only in having say a .com as compared to a .net; or .info as compared to a .ws?

I'm talking about the way search engine rank only, and how the extension effects that, ignoring everything else like click thru's ratios, customer trust for particular extensions etc.

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not at all. It doesn't matter one bit. Nada. Nien.

I just had a look through quite a few old thread on the matter at searchengineforums.com and it seems most over there would agree with mole that the extension does not effect ranking at all.

However some state that .gov, .edu and .org may get a slight preference, and a few are of the opinion that country code domains are treated are at a slight disadvantage, though its doesn't really have much of an effect.

The only other interesting comments were about .biz with one person saying the following - not sure how accurate it is,

"I asked the SE's (Google and Inktomi employe) On how they would treat .Biz domains, both said that they had seen that the .Biz domain was mostly used for redirection witch often means duplicate problems, .Net is famous for most people and belive me the .Biz domain isn't famous outside the Internetworld people.

We have also seen that you cannot at this moment see your PageRank with the toolbar when you have a .Info or .Biz domain."

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go to http://www.neulevel.biz and check your PageRank indicator.

To view .info or .biz sites with Google type into the address bar

site:biz (search word)

example;

site:biz sex

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey snoopy ..I have been able to PR on Posters.Biz for the past month ..

3/10 much work to do .
I agree some prefrence is given to .orgs ...

I have even heard rumors that a deal was struck with certain engines that they will be giving prefrence to .biz if it meets some criteria...what that is I dont know yet..but as soon as an algo is set the word will spread..
.Info ..

my wantedposters.info went the top ten in most engines within 6 weeks when I first started it.. I changed some things on the site and have drfited to the second page on most engines (simply need to go back and tweak a few things) but still happy with 2nd page considering ...it's basically just set up to catch the "wanted posters" keyword traffic and not much content...

.net suffers from the redirection syndrome...redirecting to the .com and the se's algos I believe penalizes .net ..cant prove it of course but seems reasonable.

BID

|stanks|

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The S/E ranking is all a neat little science. Each engine is a bit different, if you know how to tweak certain aspects of your page. I have learned and it really pays off.
It doesnt matter what the extension is. I own some premium .ws names. And I am making pages for them with the tweaks.
I will keep you posted.

Stanks loves BBQ.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nope they don't matter. And yeah country domains probably get more preference for certain searches

Don't get it for .org and .gov though

So the consensus both here and at other search engine forums is that the extension doesn't matter much at all for s/e listings, whether it .com/.net/.cc/.biz/.ws or .whatever.

The reason why I thought I'd ask about it is because a lot of people seem are asking for appraisals on names which they have bought solely due to high overture rankings (rather than actual traffic or vanity type value). Surely then if its the case than any old extension would be just as good, then these kinds of names should have no resale value due to almost unlimited supply of equally good domains?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice twist snoopy ..but of course that simply is NOT the case ..I have have multiple offers for wantedposters.infi, Posters.Biz .. I see someone just received an offer for Star.Info

You seem to be irritated that other people value on overture searchs..I'm never irritated to to discover that my domain is an exact match for X amount of monthly searchs.

The market does not belong to just .com , type-ins will become more spread out amoungst all extensions and for domains that only get minor type-in results ..well keywords will always be important in the foreseeable future..

of course there are other variables such as perception that will also play apart in which of ther new domains rise to the top for type-ins .in 2 years maybe it will be the standard for informational seachs therby increasing not only keyword value but type-in value.

Dosent matter what we "think" the domain market should look like with .com as king and everything else junk..simply rather what it really is morphing into..
and that change at this time seems to be an acceptance of .biz , .info and others.

I do realize a lot of speculators have nothing but .coms in their portfolios are are scared to death that their investments will crumble..they dont WANT to see any change..

the bottom line isnt if you think the new extensions "should" have any resale value but whether they DO have resale value...

I think we are already seeing that indeed there is anaftermarkt demand for some of these extensions..

perhaps instead of resiting change we accept the change and profit from that change......

BID

i read it that he was talking specific to *seo* value and not to do with any other aspect of domain value. posters.biz and star.info have vanity value albeit inside non prime gtld's.

bid, my post wasn't concerning the value of non .com extensions at all. It was about the value of names bought, and hoped to be resold on the basis of overture searches alone, as I said above "whether it .com/.net/.cc/.biz/.ws or .whatever". That is names without type ins or obvious vanity value. Names like posters.biz, ass.us and others I 've seen here have vanity value in my view even if they don't currently much in the way of direct type ins, if put up for auction today I have no doubt there would be decent demand.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry Snoop..I thought we were heading back down the .com is the only extension road...ladee da dee da dee da ;)

I would agree with your "vanity" name analysis..

Perception will still play a big part as the extension market expands though IMO..

I think a ass.us will be considered more valuable than a ass.ws.. for example based on the perception of each extension..
but that perceptiojn can change at any time ..by Marketing, actual number of web sites going up or pure specultion..

Thats how I am looking at ..but I dont really get to bent about because from my perspective my main value will be on creating revenues ...keeping just enough common sense about which extensions to reg..as in Posters.Biz much more valuable than a Posters.org type of thing..

Higher values to relevance..who knows maybe the anarchasit will rule and the more it dosent make sense the more valuable it will be LOL

BID

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just for the sake of info, washingtonpost.com has published some snapname figures:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12982-2002Jul28.html

And there are actually more .de (5.6M) than .net (3.6M) and then more .uk (3.5M) than .org (2.3M).

My point is: if you are using a European search engine, I don't think it would discriminate against their own ccTLDs. The same happens to other regions as well. I don't know if there would be any reverse preference AGAINST .com ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators