Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Info crushes .com in devastating WIPO ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi safesys & others

Its interesting that another company DOES hold a tm for just the string "internet news" (S No 75237497).

Can you explain where online you picked up this info?

Thx.
host1515

Domain summit 2024

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think that the issue is narrowly defined in the ruling. Firstly, many jurisdictions do not accept incorporations or trademarks which include the .com (or any other tld) as an extension of a term.

Had they protected (if possible) internetnews, etc., as a trademark, it would have been another story. I don't think the issue is one of a .com domain holder's inability to seek redress against the .info registrant. Rather, trademark takes precedence if properly litigated.

I often wonder why trademark holders don't effectively use the bludgeon of a lawsuit, forgoing WIPO, as most registrants (let's say squatters :) for arguments sake), certainly lack the resources to mount an effective defense ...

I agree with safesys, most trademark holders are probably confident in their ability to wrestle away the name if push comes to shove ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators