Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.info LR2 registrars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting with the link here:
http://www.afilias.info/register/landrush2/lr2_registrars

I've visited all 9 of these listed registrars. All seem to have their own method of getting a ticket at a chance to have a chance to get one of the 17000 .info names.

I have not used any of these registrars in the past. Does anyone else have experiences directly with any of them? If so please share your experiences.

One offers an auction with no fee except for the one that bids highest. Another opens at a 10 year registration being a prerequisite along with a non refundable admin. fee. Others seem to have the prime generics already wrapped up from hour one or two or at least from day #1. Some of them don't show all the names on the lists that are really there (whats up there)

Is LR2 on .info really set up with the best and fairest solution?
Someone learning about LR2 now or a month from now might be shut out from the possable opportunity to put their ticket in the hat at all except for the sites with the bid scenario that has a smell similar to the .biz lottos. Anyone have any thoughts on how the .info LR2 is being handled?

If they would have done it properly the first time around there would be no LR2. Someone didn't think it through clearly... or did they? The .US opening was the best and most logical I've seen.
It should all be about being equally fair on a first come first serve basis when a floodgate is opened. Most end users will certainly come out sad when names are awarded but if it is truly done with fairness everyone would get an equal shot. With LR2 and registrar to registrar policy varience at first glance it appears some may be a bit more equal than others. Why should anyone awarded one of these LR2 names be obligated to pay more than the normal 2 year registration fee? I don't think they should but If I go after any of the 17000 names it will cost much much effort and more than a $10 to $35 /yr cost to secure.

Regardless of the .biz legal fiasco, the .info sunrise LR2 dilema..
IMO .info, .biz, and .us are the best thing to happen with domain names in years! My perspective comes not as a name speculator but as an end user of names.

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Over-rated dot BS

Dot Info disapointed a lot of folks the first time round.

All that fake TM shit they let happen the first time, kinda shows what kind of a stupid company Afilias really is.

I think people don't give a damn about dot info.
I mean lets face it...any true domain player knows if its not a dot com its going to bomb.

As far as i am concerned they or any other new extension co. will not go anywhere....
(dot cough ! TV), (dot cough CC), (dot cough WS) cough remember them ? :) :) :) :)

Originally posted by Nic
any true domain player knows if its not a dot com its not going to bomb

I think the double negative there gives the wrong meaning to that sentence Nic :)

The way the .info LR II process is being run, the list of participating Registrars will first be randomized, then each Registrar will get to request one name at a time in a round-robin format. If a domain has already been grabbed, that Registrar loses his turn and the next name is picked off the top of the next Registrar's list.

Further, the names that each Registrar submits will first be randomized, so no Registrar will have a higher chance to snag a popular domain - unless of course they have a very small list of names they are requesting.

The process is fully described here http://www.affilias.info/register/landrush2/lr2_selection

To optomize revenue on what will be a limited return for any given Registrar, many Registrars are using auctions or 10 year registrations, or even non-refundable fees for applications.

-t

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

I think the double negative there gives the wrong meaning to that sentence Nic :)

Thanks safesys
i fixed it

Originally posted by Nic
Over-rated dot BS

Dot Info disapointed a lot of folks the first time round.

All that fake TM shit they let happen the first time, kinda shows what kind of a stupid company Afilias really is.

I think people don't give a damn about dot info.
I mean lets face it...any true domain player knows if its not a dot com its going to bomb.

As far as i am concerned they or any other new extension co. will not go anywhere....
(dot cough ! TV), (dot cough CC), (dot cough WS) cough remember them ? :) :) :) :)

What is a "true domain player"? and what People are you refering to that dont give a damn? An end user can utilize a .info now. It is not a country code domain contrived to be something else like tv,cc, and ws. It is "info" for information. Who said anything about .com going to bomb? .tv .cc and .ws have no foothold from what i can see. Its about making sense and being viable. I believe .info .biz and .us have this potential. The new extensions may contribute to some less .com registrations but certainly wont make .com bomb. IMO however .cc .ws and .tv are very limited and would be hurt a lot more than .com by .info/.biz/.us The contrived country codes like ws=website take a lot of tld branding after the dot. Dot info does not and an end user can provide a memorable sensable url using a genericword(s).info

I'm personally disgusted by the lr2 situation of .info. Never should of happened. .Biz illegal lotto crap is even worse but it still does not make the use of agoodname.biz/.us/.info unviable or contrived like the country codes you mention.

"if its not a .com its going to bomb" just does not sound right to me. As an end user, I would much rather use a domain name like
genericword.info rather than thiswordthatwordwhatevericanget.com
I hope your wrong about "people not giving a damn about .info" but in reality the only people that matter are the ones that will visit any particular website. As a business, I dont see anything unprofessional about using a .info or .us name

Lets hope affilias doesn't mess it up 2nd time around. LR3 would be totally rediculous.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is very simple FYI....

ask yourself the following two questions:

what would you rather have?

Movies.com , Movies.info, Movies.biz, Movies.net, Movies.org, or Movies.whatever-other-extension ?

Then log off, go to the nearest coffee shop or supermarket and ask any person to go to your movies internet address.....
Do you know what he/she is going to type? yes you guessed right !

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome FYI from the Print Shop :cool:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nic

Movies.com , Movies.info, Movies.biz, Movies.net, Movies.org, or Movies.whatever-other-extension ?

Then log off, go to the nearest coffee shop or supermarket and ask any person to go to your movies internet address.....

I've no facts and figures or a research thesis on this, but ...

do people still type into their address bars today when looking for information?

I honestly thought that search engines do the trick today. It, more often than not, leads to a better user experience. But I could be wrong, since my research department is closed for the weekend :D

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well in my instance I've got a product that I sell and when we hand out flyers at shows it has a .INFO address on it. The problems with the other address was no one could remember the .com either. Most people now (even though we stand a better chance) probably remember we have a website and the product name and go type it in when they get home and end up at my competitors site and order from them EVEN THOUGH WE ARE THE LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR and have lower prices. It's all about which way the cattle will go when they try to remember where the water is. So is it really better to have a similar generic name to a .com than a lengthy .com?

On A Side Note:
This is probably why we have had low internet orders along with the fact google blows chunks. How are you supposed to get inbound links when the sites that have inbound links aren't indexed for the same reason. I call that a Catch 22 and simply lazyiness. I used to find all kinds of useful information on google.....not anymore. All I have to say is AllTheWeb and others actually give a more fair shot at being indexed. Google keeps crashing my internet explorer for some reason when I hit submit all of a sudden this week. Wsup with that?

Back On Subject:
As far as .INFO goes I do prefer it over .biz, .ws, and whatever other garbage people came up with to make money. However I think .US is far better to use cause people will remember it. As far as these so called generic or one word names being released if you only knew how many are still available you wouldn't be rushing into auctions in the first place when you can grab many now with some creativity and brains.

If you want me to find you one tell me what you're looking for, what you'd be willing to pay for at an auction site for a name like this and then we'll work out a deal to make us both happy.

Originally posted by Nic

It would go like this for me Nic.
I would hand the interested person a business card or other item showing my correct web address. They would arrive at the correct movie website. Once visited the site, I do believe they would remember the word after the dot. thus the domain name was very viable, professional and memorable. They might even bookmark the website and i might sell a 'movie' If I were the savvy coffee friend I would check the .com version just for curiosity and also visit a search engine or two before purchasing that same movie. Then I'd go back to fyi's website knowing that he had bought me a cup of coffee, invited me to his 'movie' site and become one of his long term customers of 'movie' purchases.
The name itself does not make a sale by itself.
viable, professional and memorable works for me.

I could probably buy an entire town a cup of coffee, put up a billboard saying visit my 'movie.info' website and get lots of free press and get a faster and much higher return on investment over purchasing an overpriced generic .com
Would I prefer movies.com? sure if it were just the cost of renewall but it more than likely would be out of my budget and way our of realm of common sense. would i rather drive a model t ford over my ford explorer? I would love to but the model t is also out of my budget even though it was the first ford. By the way, I dont see all that many model t fords on the road today.

Your point is very well taken Nic but for me once again, the excitement of .info/.biz and .us are about viablility/professionalism/memorability

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must say FYI is a tough cookie and a very practical businessman. Very illustrative and common sensical, doesn't need my research department to back him up. :shy:

Surely the point is, you would need to heavily market movies.noncom just to get to the same level of natural type ins and spill over visitors that movies.com enjoys. And despite all that effort movies.noncom will always look like movies.couldnotgethecom

I don't see any end user excitement with the new tld's fyi - maybe you can point me towards some examples of corporates preferring these to .com?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:embarrass

memorable, impactful, meaningful domain names

vs

traffic manipulators

Take your pick.

The days of type-ins, excluding the domain speculators who love typing in to take a peek and artificially raise traffic, are over. The internet is maturing. The search engines do the type-ins for you.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which, on this point, is why I fundamentally believe the Domain King is living in the past.

Consumers are getting sick of all the popups and contrived search results and spam mail that essentially drive traffic numbers.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. In my line, I read a lot of material about what pisses people off. The evidence is overwhelming :D

And if you pay me a fee, I will provide that evidence.

Originally posted by safesys
Surely the point is, you would need to heavily market movies.noncom just to get to the same level of natural type ins and spill over visitors that movies.com enjoys. And despite all that effort movies.noncom will always look like movies.couldnotgethecom

I don't see any end user excitement with the new tld's fyi - maybe you can point me towards some examples of corporates preferring these to .com?

Sorry, I cant point you to corporates but I can tell you i am an end user and am very excited. Im using .info .biz and .us already and have not had any negative comments yet from the 'corporates' that buy from us and ultimately pay for some of our company's renewals. I usually prefer not looking like a big business corporate dot com. .us/.info/.biz define the non corporate giants just fine. These new universal extensions with discription don't say to me .couldnotgetthe.com but rather come see us because we have the .info you need, the .biz your looking to find and the american company .us If i were selling something to you personally safesys I'd happily send you to mycompanyname.com
I'd probably send mole to myfavorite.info and would send tomsters to mygeneric.shop.new.net One tld does not work for everyone for everything. With any luck, the majority of .info/.biz and .us will end up in the hands of the 'non corporates' I don't think the extensions need corporate americas approval to be successful.

Its not and never will be literally just a .com world.
".com" often stated refers to all tld's but does not define that
all must end in .com

Thats a very lame argument.

You're saying type in traffic is on the decline - thats not the experience of the people I know with huge type in traffic.

You've said se's are the way forward yet market research has shown se use is actually shrinking.

Without backing up those kind of statements that fly in the face of whats actually occurring and hiding behind a "pay me to do prove it" response it all becomes meaningless hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators