Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

broker Interested in brokering a domain name - JesusChri.st !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it seems this time I have bitten of more than I can chew!

I managed to reg the domain JesusChri.st on a drop at the end of last month.

Now obviously this is a hacked domain name, however, I do not think anyone can say they do not recognise the full name! My efforts to contact prospective buyers seems to get me stuck talking to some 'clerk' whose only ability seems to be to ask me for a cash donation!

I need to get this domain exposed to the big boys and girls of the evangelical movement, ministries like the Creflo Dollar Ministries, Benny Hinn Ministries, Joyce Meyer, etc., etc.. (Just imagine what they would do with this domain!)

Anyway, the important details. I realise that I need a broker, normal fee I believe is 10%. For a successful sale I will pay 10% commission on the first $100,000 and 15% on anything above $100,000.

The absolute minimum I am willing to let this domain go for is $100,000 so even at that price the successful broker will earn $10,000.

If you are interested then please PM me.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
to be honest, 10% is not enough - expert brokers take 20% at least - let me know, if you're interested in serious business with fast and optimal results - it's up to you - take care

The Bible says 10% is what should be given! :p

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to be honest, 10% is not enough - expert brokers take 20% at least - let me know, if you're interested in serious business with fast and optimal results - it's up to you - take care

Why would the percentage be more important than the dollar amount? Never understood working for percents rather than dollars.

AlienGG

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would the percentage be more important than the dollar amount? Never understood working for percents rather than dollars.

It gives the broker motivation to sell the domain at the highest price he can get.
Otherwise, everyone's gonna sell it at the minimum. When the sellers figure out, they will set an astronomical number for the price. Big Con.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It gives the broker motivation to sell the domain at the highest price he can get.
Otherwise, everyone's gonna sell it at the minimum. When the sellers figure out, they will set an astronomical number for the price. Big Con.

Yeah, I understand. But the problem with talking percent is that it doesn't differentiate between a $100,000 domain and a $5,000 domain. I think we would all take 10% of a $100,000 domain over 50% of a $5,000 domain.

Don't mean to Hijack Billbo's thread, so let me recommend something like: 10% for the first hundred thousand, 40% for everything over that. That will give the broker plenty of motivation to get max price.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I appreciate this feedback, it is helpful.

I have never successfully used a 'broker' before, but then again those I have employed I would not now call 'brokers' (the value of hindsight). But this domain name needs a broker as it is outside my sphere. So with everything said above in the posts I propose the following.

1) Broker receives 20% of first $100,000.
2) Broker receives 40% of any amount above $100,000

Now this is a truly unique domain name. Yes it will have to be 'marketed', but the end-user market for this domain already generally has marketing in place (tv programs, radio programs, internet {websites and podcasts}, and of course their congregations). Word would spread very quickly that JesusChri.st is the domain name. The domain name itself would differentiate it from other domains in the genre.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Billbo,

I did not respond the first time, but now you insist...

The lack of response probably means that brokers don't think they can sell this name for your "high" expectations.
If you read my post about my own domain sales you will notice that your domain does not fall into one of the 2 categories where I am selling 100K names.

Your domain is what I call a gimmick extension domain.
His potential interest is only based in his brandability.
Remember what I said:
- People rarely pay a lot of money for brandabale names.

Also the gimmicks with the extension is not very popular.
And the theme of your domain is not of high commercial value.
All these points I think lead brokers to ignore your request.

Myself even in the dot com I am not sure I will be interested to buys/sell/trade/broker a name like this.
I don't wanna burm my little chances to get my place in paradise being making money arount Jesus name in the earth :)

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Francois,

Yes it would take a good broker to sell this domain to the right end-user (here most probably looking at a TV evangelist or similar).

I have to admit that this is definately one of those domains that are 'outside the box', but considering the financial implications (most TV evangelists already take in $millions each year, some are reported as high $xx,xxx,xxx) it is not outside realistic expectations to set a minimum of $100,000.

The commercial value comes from the sheer uniqueness of the domain name, have a look at the Sedo discussion board, the sale of JesusChri.st is fast becoming the most read post this year! Even on here the scale of views shows that even domainers instantly recognise it, and you could not get a bunch of more anti 'hacked domain name' people if you tried! :yes:

But even so, allowing for the price I have set still no-one has turned around and said 'well I can broker it but I think I will only manage X amount'.

Perhaps I should just make a site and copy the bible onto it! (Bible.com has an Alexa rank of 27,471.) But I somehow do not think that would be the best financial use of such a domain name.

Anyway, thanks for your input Francois, much appreciated.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This domain will be withdrawn from sale as at 9am (GMT) as of Monday 30th April (it will remain for sale until this time on Sedo only).

I am therefore no longer looking for any brokers for this domain. I have received an offer for joint development of the site which I believe an appropriate alternative to selling the domain.

May I thank those who posted in this thread and all those who took the trouble to read through it.

Bill
(BillBo)

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just want to comment on broker commissions, if you REALLY want to get a broker to sell it at the highest amount possible, you set a minimum price that you need (example: $1,000), and the broker splits the profit beyond that. In the rare event that the broker gets double the minimum you were looking for, they'll get 25%. If they get 50% more than what you were looking for, they get 1/6 or roughly 17%. If they get just 10% more than what you were looking for, they get only 1/22, or a little over 4%. So even if it's a name that should be no problem getting buyers for, they have to earn their keep.

P.S. - To BillBo, the reason you couldn't get a broker is because you were asking for $100k on a 2-word domain hack. To compare, I got one of the best domain hacks on the planet, Doma.in, for less than $5k. Gotta be realistic. $100,000 would be pushing it for a domain hack even if s.ex existed. :)

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi NT,

I appreciate your response and note with interest about brokerage.

As for not getting a broker, ah well, so be it. I set a price for the end-user market as I always do with my domains, sometimes I win sometimes I don't. This particular domain name has such a wide universal recognition coefficient that it is worth the $100k minimum, it almost screams brandability (thank goodness it is not TM'ed :smilewinkgrin: ).

We all look on domaining along entirely seperate lines, sometimes these merge sometimes they diverge. Here I am at divergence with you (and most other domainers here on DNF), but as I equate what can be earned in a 3-5 year period by an end-user using the domain I believe that asking less than 10% of that for the domain name is not unreasonable.

Anyway, as it is one of my contacts heard about the domain earlier this week and proposed a joint venture (not a religious site), so it has been agreed that if the domain is not sold by Monday morning then the deal for the development of the domain into a web site will be signed.

If nothing else this should encourage newbies to keep their eyes open, bargains are still out there to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators