Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is it a TM issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottatmu

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is my question ... if i register a name, such as VisaLinks.com or MasterCardLinks.com or anything with the TM'd name before it, is it a TM issue?? Even if the domain is benefitting the TM'd company ... such as a links type page?

Domain Summit 2024

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Is it a TM issue?"

My guess would most definitely be 'YES"! However, you need to go to the correct "Legal" section on this site for these types of questions ... NOT the appraisal section! Do I sound like a broken record, a broken record?? :) Thanks. Good Luck.

garyted51

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's ok, providing you don't slander the creditcard companies. Personally I would steer clear! Not worth the hassle.

scottatmu

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Argh ... I thought I was in the legal section ... my fault ... mods, please move to Legal Issue section .. .thanks!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Argh ... I thought I was in the legal section ... my fault ... mods, please move to Legal Issue section .. .thanks!"

THANKS MUCH! :)
Good Luck.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Moved per request -

and yes, there have been WIPO cases where the addition of a generic word on a TM name does not remove the TM liability.. I will look for at least one link where I saw this. ..

-Bob

S

Silverwire

Bob’s link to case of "gecapitaldirect.com" is a not very good reference in this case. "Links" may be non-profit with no confusion of the site with tm holder's main site or, perhaps, "links" has a legitimate business interest in creating those links to the various banks/providers of those cards. "Direct" carries a connotation that is easier to confuse as a site controlled by the tm holder. That's harder to imagine a legitimate business interest for "direct" (no respondent response in the gecapitaldirect.com case). And the answer may not be the same with "anything" tm'd before the "links.com"

Another "it depends" question.

Not an attorney.

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the comparison is pretty good. If a site is put up at MASTERCARDlinks.com that mentions the credit card company at all, you can bet that it will generate a c&d letter. Why risk it registering this name?

S

Silverwire

Originally posted by pljones
Why risk it registering this name?
I agree, unless perhaps you are involved in the business of providing credit cards or some related business and you don't have any agreements with vendors, etc. that prevent you from using the dn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom