Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is it me or do almost all the names for sale lately suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
diverge said:
...put together a NON-vBulletin sales system that allows the EASY (i.e., CSV upload) bulk posting of domains, including categorization.

Agree diverge, great idea. Even an afternic clone atached to dnforum would work.

Domain Summit 2024

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The talk part is what makes the sales forums work; differentiates DNForum sales section from the bulk lists of Afternic, Sedo, etc.

Perhaps DNForum should join them, but the implementation needs to be thought through; risk of DNForum losing focus and becoming another Afternic clone ... but as E-promote has suggested, partnering with like Afternic might actually work - simply brand the front-end and let Afternic or whoever deal with the customer support, the db headaches, bandwidth, etc.

Ron

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The fact that there is so much crap and unrealistic expectations by sellers is exactly what creates value. 90 percent of the names being sold are the names that the person doesn't want anymore. Everyone knows that it is generally wholesale prices here, and that creates value on the buying side.....just have to wade through the crap. I bought a name for 2K a few months ago here and I just turned down 5k last Friday.

I bought another for $300 and sold it to another member for $800 a month later....and I almost regret that. Those are just two of my deals in the last few months.....I picked up TerribleTowel.com for $20, and it's been on a roll now that the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. If there wasn't a bunch of bad names then every good name would get into a bidding war like Snap Names.

The first person who sets up an Auction like Snap Names will make millions. If you charged $10 per name to list then it would weed out the useless names.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A "wholesaler to wholesaler" sales platform & listing service is definately needed.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for those who think crap is being sold here......please stay out of the sales forums! ;)

or contribute to the sales section with some of your "top tier" names :)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of listing names which currently have enduser offers just to see if anyone buys it.. lol I've been doing it for a long time and they have never once sold via the threads. Things are changing and this isn't really a resellers board anymore.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think more of us are keeping the good names. I was placing more for sale months ago but recently just feel that I am either not getting enough or that I can hold for a while and get even more. Markets fluctuate. I think values went up the past 3 months and partly due to no one selling good names. So when a good name does pop up...it gets the money. I agree with mocus that the crap brigade is here. hdasjda.com only $500! W00t. Anyways I am still doing good with my developed names and will continue my current work on developing. When I need a payout I sell something.

:)

I don't think DNF needs any drastic changes. Maybe just some fresh blood to feast on.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah everyone needs to stop telling all the brand newbies that their generic names are worth $xx,xxx+ when they come here and post them on the appraisal threads, cause then nobody like me can PM them and get a good deal for resale....lets start telling them reseller/wholesale prices like we used to and then buy them...wheres the sharks at?! Remember, if you appraise these newbies really good generics that they have had for 10 years at maximum value they are'nt gonna dump them for low $ like we want!

Chris

It's us against them! (outsiders) Don't forget that or nobody makes money!

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just when I come into some good money to spend , I can't spend it on anything good.. *Just Yet* .. I have a PM Box full of crappy domains and websites for abnormal prices...

On to Plan B

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
yeah everyone needs to stop telling all the brand newbies that their generic names are worth $xx,xxx+ when they come here and post them on the appraisal threads, cause then nobody like me can PM them and get a good deal for resale....lets start telling them reseller/wholesale prices like we used to and then buy them...wheres the sharks at?! Remember, if you appraise these newbies really good generics that they have had for 10 years at maximum value they are'nt gonna dump them for low $ like we want!

Chris

It's us against them! (outsiders) Don't forget that or nobody makes money!
Chris
Not meaning to offend you, I can no longer be silent about your inane posts.
You are a newbie yourself! And you want people to mislead newbies?
Sure you claim to make $3500 a week in PPC and you claim to always make money and you claim to know a good name from a bad one.
All I see is that you constantly promote trademark infringing names and now you asking members to be dishonest and tell lies when appraising names offered by newbies.
You claim lots of things without any evidence.
You always state your opinions as if they are fact.
Personally I will always remember the day you posted a photo of a semi naked girl with a cannabis bud on her. On a domain forum!! Sheesh. I don't know how you got away without a warning issued.
So you think the names in the sales thread suck after your 7 months experience here at DNF.
Do you realize what an insult this thread is to the members posting in the for sale section?

Will you continue to post negative comments about the DNF members attempting to sell names?
I agree the name you are currently attempting to sell sucks
It is a blatant trademark infringement and does nothing to enhance the reputation of domain resellers
Looking forward to your usual contribution to the discussion
Regards
Joe Honan

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
diverge said:
I agree with you, Chris. It's not so bad that people are posting crap (hey, one man's junk is another man's treasure), it's that you have wade through it to find the domains you like.

I guess GMHQ.com must be a treasure to you given you wanted $1999 originally LOL

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny Mocus mentions deceiving newbs...lol

I sat back the other day and saw baby.net get 2-3 replies wtf is that :lol:

I also experienced this " shark " mentality when I first joined, I was smart enough to realize what was happening but saddened I paid money to get played. I have nothing against a good buy but when a newer member gets less than a steller effort from the guru's its a shame he isnt receiving the help he signed up for.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
slimcrazy.com said:
I auctioned racoons.info in chat yesterday generic animal domain name, 1500 google indexed pages, 10 uniq or better a day. I got $20 for it.

I would have paid more...I even PM'ed you about this name two weeks ago...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
It appears mocus' true colors are coming out.
YES, THE COLOR GREEN $$$

JOEMART said:
Personally I will always remember the day you posted a photo of a semi naked girl with a cannabis bud on her.
ohh God forbid...LMAO - I forgot about the 12 year olds on here that could be ruined forever! (probably the ones selling fwrygweyh.biz for $500)

If you read into what I actually posted it was stating in more words than one that people are "over appraising" good names...JOEMART you seem to have a real personal issue all of the sudden with me out of nowhere and I am here for a hug if you need one...other than that I'm sorry if you misunderstood or have a problem with nice looking girls or cannabis, maybe I should post a picture of a semi-nude man for you (on a kangaroo) with a bottle of whisky? Is that more your style mate? I will also go ahead and just post some of my daily PPC earnings to shut you up actually...since you have no idea who I am it seems, I was'nt trying to prove anything to anyone but now you want to flame the thread and challenge me publicly, so that's fine, you can realize you are wrong and in fact I don't know why any personal insults or attacks were necessary anyways, do I smell jealousy or maybe frustration? People get that way sometimes during rough seas I gues...here ya go tough guy, feel free to compare against YOUR portfolio..lol..

JOEMART said:
Sure you claim to make $3500 a week in PPC and you claim to always make money and you claim to know a good name from a bad one.

actually it was closer to $4,900 :eek:k:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/cdubb69/JOEMART_your-a-dickhead_stats.jpg

moving on...

It seems to me...(and the reason for this thread) since there is so much crap floating around that when someone shows up with a half decent domain lately (mostly brand new members) everyone is so shocked to see something GOOD that everyone starts going crazy and telling them it's worth all the gold and diamonds in the world...then nobody can buy it at a half reasonable price to turn a profit as the sellers expectations have been set way too high over extreme "domain name fever" speculation..and as far as being a "newbie" I have been in the game since 1997, and worked in the industry before even getting into it, lol....but thanks for asking JOE!... so like i said there is alot of garbage for sale lately and it seems like people are scrounging for scraps....and all these brand new members come here and register domains with half decent keywords in them (3 or 4) and in .biz or .info and then spam the sales threads all day and night with them for ridiculous asking prices...I just feel like the quality of names for sale has decreased drastically in a very short time...obviously we all have been dealing with this and some of us are here for the long run and this is our primary business, we have put in the time and efforts and should reap the rewards...others sign-up for DNF just to sell a domain they have held onto for 10 years, then that's it, jump right back out...many who would have been happy to take $1000 for a name they hand registered way back when...the benefits of which should be in OUR favor since many of us are the brokers and resellers, my point before was if we over appraise some names we are just hurting ourselves and taking that potential good buy away...if we are reasonable and give more realistic "wholesale/reseller" prices instead of top end-user prices it gives us all a better chance to put food on the table. If you don't agree with this or want to help OUR team, then you might not be interested in making money in this field and maybe should pick a new business...who's here to get rich other than me? If you want the warm fuzzy's and want to hold hands and sing "we are the world" that's fine with me...but don't expect to make 100k this year.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh boy...

*calmy leaves thread, figuring time is too valuable to get into this*

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ I have grown to really like GT! :)

GT....btw I was serious about helping me out with that auto site...

<mod edit> no soliciting</mod edit>

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should post your quality collection of names Mocus so we can learn what one is from someone who has been around since 97.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of my good generic names are now long gone...now it's all about traffic and conversions into clicks

btw- I did not start doing domains full time till around 2003..before that I was in and out and busy with normal jobs, one of my first real jobs was working in the domain sales department for Verio.com in Boca Rton, FL...I helped people register domains over the phone all day taking incoming calls and helped them set up ecommerce business websites...back then people were focusing more on descriptive names it seemed and *almost everyone was overlooking the short acronym names...woulda coulda shoulda..don't even make me bring up the "fishing.com" story...

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought the good generics were what everyone was looking for in click conversion. I guess everyone has it wrong and you've got it right. Learn something new everyday..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators