• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Is it me or do almost all the names for sale lately suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but if market value on a domain is let's say $3,500 and I offer $2K surely somebody else who feels the market value is representative would be willing to go $3,500 don't you think?
 
Mr. Deleted said:
Maybe something like that could be started, a scrolling bar at the top of the site to promote your sale, and have members pay in DNF to get their sale listed, linking to their sales thread. I'll suggest it to admins.
We just passed 750,000 posts here at DNF!
 
congrats on the posts!
 
NameMogul.com said:
Because the point of an appraisal is not for personal gain or interests. It's a judgement of current market value. The for sale or offers section is what "offers" is for.

Agreed, I don't see an appraisal as an offer.

Edit: thanks guys!
 
750K posts! holy #@^%#&$#! WooHoooooooooo! That's a chunk!

DNF will always kick a$$..even if people are selling crap lately and some people are over appraising domains to take away the steal deals! lol

Hollaa :-)

Chris

Ps- Mr.Deleted is such a bright and shining ray of wisdom sometimes...listen to your moderators people! :ok:
 
one man's trash is another man's treasure :)

Not saying that there is alot of crap names, mine included, but not everyone can have amazing domains.
 
I think it is the thrill and expectation of getting a bargain or making a huge sale/profit that keeps the domain industry going so I can understand and tolerate people asking for high prices for their domains and real buyers looking for the best bargains that they can get their hands on. While one man's trash is another man's treasure, don't also forget that "Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder..."
 
Agreed! well said..
 
I've seen this topic several times, during several DNF life-stages/periods. I believe Mocus and many others are speaking from one's own perception. When you first arrive? Your standard is lower. As time goes on, your standard for buying increases, as does your budget. What once was easily ignored, is now being chalked up as "useless junk". I think it's the 'right of passage' for domainers.

Of which, I'm in complete agreement with everyone, lots of junk on here. However, I don't think anything has changed. I've been on this forum since Dan was posting DNF links at Sitepoint in 2002, just to break 100 member mark - and trust me, lots and lots of crappy domains (I didn't help matters either, heh) even back then.
 
that would be nice .. but SEDO which is the #1 Domain aftermarket place doesn't have this kind of functionality ;) I think very tough to implement on VB
 
It makes sense that the quality of "available" domains would go down
over time. The best names get bought and put to their
best use, or developed into sites, and are no longer available
- or only available at sky high prices.

Good domains are a finite supply, and everyone seems to want
.com's. The question is, what will people/businesses
be looking for now if they are just coming online - a so so .com
name, or a good .net, .org, .info etc.

The other thing that was mentioned, is that what looks like
a bad domain to one person might be great to the next.
No one person can know all the subjects in the world that
domains can be based on. There are countless "niche" type
subjects that I or anyone else can't possibly keep track of.
 
I have found a few bargains on here actually. Just like at a yard sale you need to know what you're looking for. It takes some experience but some names are pretty obvious as good investments. About 90% is garbage and of the remaining 10% about 9% is overpriced (as far as what I am willing to pay). The 1% left over is what you'll spend your time looking for (gems). Look for sales by veterans too.

I don't know if the recent domains for sale suck, but I do agree with Clemzonmguy. There are some hidden gems. You just need to be patient and KNOW what you are looking for.
 
Well I can't actually believe what I am about to say.

I agree with MOCUS! <--- AGH!

Anyways..I always like to think of creative solutions. I am not sure Adam can do this but how about allowing for replies in the appraisal section only from Platinum or Exclusive members?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom