Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is it me or do almost all the names for sale lately suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was online doing name reg's when 2 letter domains could still be had in the wild...and thousands of 3 letter's were avail...everyone just looked right past them for the most part..any misspelling of anything could be had then...nobody even thought about "typos" lol

Domain Summit 2024

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We all know the woulda coulda shoulda. What we want to know is what we are supposedly doing wrong and what you claim to be doing right. Show your stuff. No reason to hide it that unless it's not there to see.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought the good generics were what everyone was looking for in click conversion.

Well there are 3 successful formulas to that whole PPC game I see:

1) A TON OF TRAFFIC YOU DEVELOP FROM SEARCH ENGINES, LINKS, TYPO'S, ETC AND A LOW CTR % ON HIGH REV PAYING ADS = $$$

2) DECENT TYPE-IN TRAFFIC FROM NATURAL NAVIGATION NAMES AND HIGH RESULTING CTR % ON OK PAYING ADS (THIS HAS ALOT MORE COST INVOLVED) = $$$

3) WHATEVER YOU CAN GET IN BETWEEN THE TWO WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK OR LOSING YOUR SHIRT! (My preferred method)

NameMogul.com said:
We all know the woulda coulda shoulda. What we want to know is what we are supposedly doing wrong and what you claim to be doing right.

I never said anyone was doing anything wrong...I said alot of crappy names are for sale lately..then JOEMART questioned my business and earnings so I had to set the record straight...I think we all can learn alot from each other..I happen to be really good at marketing and turning a good profit from cheap traffic..PPC is simple (if you have traffic) but it's unsure how long it will last as many companies pursue more traditional CPA cost models..

..and those natural type-in generics are all but nearly unattainable for the most part anymore unless you want to pay many years revenue, and since its such a volatile market in the first place who is to assure your investment?...God forbid in a high paying PPC business field...like Insurance, Money/Investing or Realestate for examples...that's where development comes in and attracting consumers with content and having some "stickyness" to your sites...getting people to come back, getting them to click on more than one ad, being high ranked in search engines...those are where the fortunes await us all...those also are key factors in what makes sites like Hummer3.com so successful...some days that site actually got over a 100% CTR...full legit and real..only because it was set-up to do that when I had it...

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be best if you keep your opinions on other peoples inventory to yourself when you don't disclose your own. We've seen the TM names and most of us contrary to your popular belief don't care to own. Sure most of us have had one here or there and may still have but I think the majority would prefer to clean up the reputation of our business. I don't want to speak for everyone else but I would assume most believe under appraising names for personal gains here is just as unethical.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny how these threads always turn into a challenge from others who come in throwing punches and basically flaming a thread (JOEMART) and then if anyone defends themselves it is made to seem wrong..look bud, to be quite honest with you I could care less what you do or how you feel...I don't work (at a "real" job), I don't have much stress in my life, my earnings are going up, and life is good...every name I have bought in the last 3 years has been profitable for me and just because I don't wish to disclose my full 1000 domain portfolio does'nt mean I have anything to hide...it's really none of your business and I don't feel like doing all the copying and pasting.. lol

Post all your domains for us...and as far as the whole domain "ethics" go..the domain industry was founded on "squatting" if you actually know any history about the business you are in. It's also what makes names valuable...someone else has it and someone else needs it. The only reason PPC works in most cases with most traffic is because you are sending them where they should have been in the first place and you make something off of it, don't make it seem like we are on a mission from God here to save the sinners...again, this is about making money, or for most I guess. (it is for me) So ask yourself...am I wasting my time in this biz or am I getting rich?

Straight up, I am going to be a millionaire in 5 years or less, so I will see you at the top or look down and see you at the bottom, your choice.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
...If you want the warm fuzzy's and want to hold hands and sing "we are the world" that's fine with me...but don't expect to make 100k this year.

After comments like this you have to change your lame "warm fuzzy's" signature.

And grow up for once.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we do have to stick together...that's my whole point...theres enough money in this business to go around, and us domainers should stick together...or we can argue all day about etchics and why we should or should'nt own typos and this and that but in the end it is just taking away from the energy you could be putting into making more money and networking with others who can help you get where you want to be...don't know how much more "grown up" it gets than that my friend.

Telling a "consumer" or "outsider" that his or her domain is worth $xx,xxx to $xxx,xxx "easy, minimum, at least" when you yourself would not pay more than 5-10k for it hurts us all and is taking away alot of "good buy" scenarios for us resellers...the comment has been made by several people in other threads that this forum has turned into an end-user price board as of late and I don't think we want that do we? This is being fueled by newbies and over speculation and it's taking away from all of our abilities to make cash...so what is left to buy on the boards? RGRETJTGF.biz for $500 or best offer! "GET'S 20 HIT'S A MONTH (himself and search engine spiders) AND MADE 0.50 ON DS!" ONLY ASKING 20 YEARS REV! lol

whatever...I am of on a tangent and that's ok...this is my thread I started! :eek:k:

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
we do have to stick together...

...By deliberately underappraising newbies?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
an "immature" person would re-word it like that...and take my statement out of context... "we" being the domainers...that do this for a living..

JOEMART is having so much fun reading the firworks he started...people are like robots sometimes...it's funny really if you think about it.

My point in this thread is that there are alot of crappy names for sale, then i got attacked and called names by someone who may not agree, but instead of addressing his concerns like an adult he went the other route...like some others may do as well..and that's ok..cause that's what seperates the winners from the alternate outcome.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Mocus on this... under apraiseing is saying my.com is worth 16k, but over apraiseing is saying it is worth 10M (I had a 16K offer on it as well as some in 6 figers). But it does not mean that a name should be priced too low, ie, the reseller price might be 750K, but the reseller price 75% of that. We all could use a 25% ROI when selling to the big companies.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
slimcrazy.com said:
it would be nice, to have a scrolling or a billboard of really good domains for sale, there is so much junk in the sales forums now you can hardly find anything.

and all the stickys are just making it worse.

I know shadetree.com sold on here month or so ago for $20k

That should of been showcased some where.

Some people post lists of domains for sale 400 names long, you can even make good sense out of them.

(i think sales forums need to be re-organized)
Maybe something like that could be started, a scrolling bar at the top of the site to promote your sale, and have members pay in DNF to get their sale listed, linking to their sales thread. I'll suggest it to admins.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is not only with the sales but also the appraisals.. it's not a DNF specific issue but across the board in all DN forums....

In essence there are 2 categories of people:

(1) the ones who'll give a partly correct ball-park figure and offer to BUY/PAY
(2) the ones who'll say "oh! yeah GREAT domain don't sell for less than $XXX,XXX"

Hold on if you feel the domain is worth XXX,XXX minimum then why aren't you buying it yourself? make a $XXX,XXX offer and buy it - don't have the money? come on this is no brainer re-finance your house or get a loan after all this a STEAL at low $XXX,XXX

to me people in (2) are the same annoying people you see around you when you play poker (great example LOL) that say OMG can't believe you didn't go all-in... Put the money where you mouth is and buy the friggin domain then or next time when you sit on the table and have the same hand do go all-in..!

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's the use in an appraisal section at all if the point is to either have the money to buy or don't say anything at all? Don't get me wrong very rarely will you ever see me even appraise a name because in reality a name can't be appraised but making it some sort of collective bargaining chip doesn't do anyone any good.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes; and of course threads like "best deal you ever got" which include buys in this forum at $40 and a resale of $2,000 on afternic or similiar sites, only lead to more confusion and distrust. bottom line, consider sales from this forum the same as a wholesale car auction with dealers only in attendance. your car may be worth $18k on the retail market, but you are probably not going to sell it for more than $10.8k or 60% of value in this type of setting; and yes some of those same fellow dealers are going to nitpick and try to find fault, whether it exists or not, or like it or not; same general principles are seen here on both sales and appraisals. buyers are attempting to buy low and sell high and the reverse is true with sellers; nothing new imo.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's quite obvious this is a resellers market and anyone who thinks they will get retail for their name here needs a reality check. But, alot of people come to this and other forums for our advice. And in alot of cases advice on whether they should take current offers.

Whats being suggested is a collective underappraising of names as a whole so we can profit. Thats BS in my mind.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that Mocus didn't suggest collective under-appraisals. Like you said this is a resellers forum and ofcourse nobody is going to pay end-user price... It is difficult and to an extend highly subjective to appraise a domain but when I hear people saying LL.ORG IMHO no less than $100K then that's a JOKE...

quite simply I urge people to think before placing an appraisal and see if they were going to BUY at the price. If they were going to pay indeed $100K for that LL.org then fine I totally respect that.. But if the market value to reseller is high $X,XXX - low $XX,XXX how the hell do you justify $100K!!!

that's the point I'd like to think Mocus was making....and i'm NOT siding here...

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
It's quite obvious this is a resellers market and anyone who thinks they will get retail for their name here needs a reality check. But, alot of people come to this and other forums for our advice. And in alot of cases advice on whether they should take current offers.

Whats being suggested is a collective underappraising of names as a whole so we can profit. Thats BS in my mind.
Not really, all I'm saying is if you appraise, post the retail (what you would be willing to pay if you wanted it) and the price you would ask for a retail client for that domain. It is not the same. I would not ask retail in here unless in cases like Pay.com, where I'm brokering for example, and that is a top name. But if I was to offer it at "wholesale" here I would sell it in a heartbeat.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a reason a real estate appraiser is required to appraise a home at current market value. The reason for that is so agents and/or investors don't try to rework the system for their own personal gain. Now if the seller is OK with selling below retail then thats all fine and dandy. In fact the agents/investors buying below market value actually cause the reverse effect because those sales are recorded just like any other sale.

To give you a good examlpe let say your neighbor decides to pack up a leave town. He/she justs wants out of their house so they sell it 20% below market value. You just happen to have your house on the market aswell and both houses are of simliar square footage. First and foremost your neighbors house is most likely going to sell first no matter how preety you think your is. And then that sale is going to be used as a determination of value on your house. When the lenders see this nextdoor sale it' thorws up a red flag even if it wasn't used on your appraisal.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's a provocative thought.. why don't we make appraisals carry a binding 7-day offer? similar to when you go to carmax for example :)

that way if you feel a name is worth $X,XXX and you say IMHO reseller is $X,XXX than the offer is binding and he/she has 7 days to accept your offer..

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because the point of an appraisal is not for personal gain or interests. It's a judgement of current market value. The for sale or offers section is what "offers" is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators