Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Is this Cybersquatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I came across this during a discussion on Elliots blog, The subject of this domain was completely ignored by the person who owns it.

I'd like to hear your opinions whether or not you feel this domain as well as what is shown on the home page is considered Cybersquatting.

http://googlemicrosoft.com/

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
who would go after it, google or Microsoft? - neither has any right to it, lol

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they would never merge. Think about the "branding" issues... GoSoft.com would simply NOT work with the male audience, nor would GoMicro.com for that matter... MicroGoo.com could work with the kiddie geeks but surely that is not a large enough group worth the merger hassle. ;)

On a more serious note, I would be interested in knowing what led to the 2 previous "drops" of this domain over the last 9 years....

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely TM infringement. "Cybersquatting" kind of implies that the name was purchased to sell back the the actual TM holder, but neither of these companies are going to mess around with trying to buy this domain from the current owner. This is basically sitting around waiting for a cease and desist.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is considered "a-holery" by the court...of public opinion. These types of registrants confuse "Clever" with "Douchy" We all have one of these friends, who thinks they know the law and give all kinds of terrible advice on what to do or say if you get pulled over by the police or how to "legally" scam something. Just ignore and let this whither in the wind where it belongs.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice to see we have a consensus..... The domain, which is one of many is owned by Michael Mann, He contributed to Elliots blog 2 years ago almost to this date where a poster brought GoogleMicrosoft.com to his attention, and still 2 years later he offers the domain for sale, doesn't drop it, doesn't take the page down or forfeit the domain, or even take say it was mistake like he did with all the FaceBook domains he got caught with, but decides to hold onto it.

The excuse for the Facebook domains was; “we have 150,000 names many of which a machine registered.”

Does his "machine" also renew them every year?

To read the blog posts;

http://www.elliotsblog.com/techcrunch-article-domain-asset-holdings-2803

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so what's the point of the thread?

to show that mm owns some risky names

or to send some traffic to a blog?

cuz personally, i don't give shit what others folks reg, buy or sell

it's not me who put these people on pedestals, then condemn what they do if it ain't cool with one's idea of what they should stand for.

with everything else that's going on in this world, it ain't that important

imo...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a way you are right Biggie, it's not our business, and I normally don't poke my nose into somebody else's portfolio...
But we are not talking about small fry here.

Rick or MM are not small-time domainers, but the most prominent of all. So their 'squatting' activities (no matter you you try to sugarcoat it) reflect negatively on our industry because they are in the spotlight and sometimes assume the role of mouthpiece for our industry.
Because they are worshiped by their fellow domainers we are all guilty by association. It's bad rep we can do without. Then it becomes our business :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a way you are right Biggie, it's not our business, and I normally don't poke my nose into somebody else's portfolio...

Rick or MM are not small-time domainers, but the most prominent of all. So their 'squatting' activities (no matter you you try to sugarcoat it) reflect negatively on our industry because they are in the spotlight and sometimes assume the role of mouthpiece for our industry.
Because they are worshiped by their fellow domainers we are all guilty by association. It's bad rep we can do without. Then it becomes our business :)

Kat, what they do will never be my business

the thing with domaining is, there will always be another "celeb" persona or entity, rising to noteriety for other domainers to idolize.

and each one may have some "baggage" that you and others may not want to see carried on the flight

however, they will still board the plane, and so will every one else who wants to fly to same destination.

puff, puff....snort

:)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

As always you hit the nail on the head... This has nothing to do with whether or not it's anyone's business, I had 6 years to poke my nose into someones portfolio and not once have I done it, and I'm not doing it here... As I said earlier I came across this blog and found amazing that someone who is regarded so highly (not by me) in this industry would maintain such a obvious TM infringement, and it's one of many BTW.

We put these people on pedestals as biggie said, and by doing so we close our eyes to all the unethical things they do.. It's not right. :no:

@ Biggie

I would of replied to your post if it weren't for your insinuation that I posted this to send traffic to a blog.. If you think I would do that, then I have nothing to say to you.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and each one may have some "baggage" that you and others may not want to see carried on the flight

however, they will still board the plane, and so will every one else who wants to fly to same destination.
Yes, their luggage is private. But what if they carry a time bomb and blow up our plane ? :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As always you hit the nail on the head... This has nothing to do with whether or not it's anyone's business, I had 6 years to poke my nose into someones portfolio and not once have I done it, and I'm not doing it here... As I said earlier I came across this blog and found amazing that someone who is regarded so highly (not by me) in this industry would maintain such a obvious TM infringement, and it's one of many BTW.

We put these people on pedestals as biggie said, and by doing so we close our eyes to all the unethical things they do.. It's not right. :no:

@ Biggie

I would of replied to your post if it weren't for your insinuation that I posted this to send traffic to a blog.. If you think I would do that, then I have nothing to say to you.

raider, it was you who brought this shit to the forum and now you wanna insinuate that i was insinuating something about you

when in fact it is you who is insinuating something "unethical" about somebody else

don't throw rocks and try to hide your hand

:rolleyes:

Yes, their luggage is private. But what if they carry a time bomb and blow up our plane ? :)

they already have blown so many domainers minds, with "da bomb" domain sales and blog interviews.

they are legends in their own time

:)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
raider, it was you who brought this shit to the forum and now you wanna insinuate that i was insinuating something about you

when in fact it is you who is insinuating something "unethical" about somebody else

Asking readers their opinion is "Shit"? You know whats really "Shit"? the way you and others in the domain industry condone Cyber Squatting, We have no problem poking fun at unknown domainers who register obvious TM's but when someone like MM with "da bomb" in domain sales does it, we do one of three things; Make excuses for it, Justify it or attack the messenger who brings it to our attention, kinda of like what your doing here.

And I made NO insinuations here, I will directly say that "Cybersquatting" which is what this clearly is, IS in FACT unethical.

or to send some traffic to a blog?

Don't we have a subforum with catchy thread titles that sends traffic to a blog each and every day? Go pick on him.

Not that is was my intent, If I'm going to send traffic to a blog, it's going to be my own :yes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators