Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

It looks like Verisign bought .Web domain for $135 million (SEC Filing)

A

Andrew Allemann

Company paying $130 million for “contractual rights”.

The company that runs .com might soon be adding .web to its stable.

Based on an SEC filing this afternoon, it looks like Nu Dot Co was the winner of today’s .web auction and Verisign is behind the bid. (Update: ICANN has posted official auction results showing Nu Dot Co as the winner.)

Verisign (NYSE:VRSN) just filed its quarterly report with the SEC today. Under “Subsequent Event” it says:

Subsequent to June 30, 2016, the Company incurred a commitment to pay approximately $130.0 million for the future assignment of contractual rights, which are subject to third-party consent. The payment is expected to occur during the third quarter of 2016.

I’d be willing to bet big money that this is the .web auction.

Verisign was rumored to be backing Nu Dot Co’s bid for the domain name.

My sources tell me that the auction ended for $135 million this morning. It’s possible that Nu Dot Co retains some ownership in the domain, hence the discrepancy in price. (Keep in mind, also, that the winner pays the second highest bid).

The payment for this auction will be due in Q3.

Verisign didn’t mention .web on its conference call today and no analysts asked about it.

© DomainNameWire.com 2016. This is copyrighted content. Domain Name Wire full-text RSS feeds are made available for personal use only, and may not be published on any site without permission. If you see this message on a website, contact copyright (at) domainnamewire.com.

Latest domain news at DNW.com: Domain Name Wire.

The post It looks like Verisign bought .Web domain for $135 million (SEC Filing) appeared first on Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News & Views.

Related posts:

1. VeriSign: Google Slowing Domain Name Registration Growth
  2. VeriSign Plans to Release 1 and 2 Character .Net Domains
  3. A New VeriSign Slogan?

Continue reading...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom