Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's renewal time, What are you doing with your .Mobi's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The one and only Mobi domain I have came up for renewal and I asked myself; "Should I renew a domain that's so worthless?" I pondered with the question and thought, "I really like the name and since it's only 1 Mobi renewal a year, why not?"

Then I asked myself, "What are the big Mobi investors doing with the 500+ Mobi's they registered?"

Are they holding onto them in hopes of Mobi taking off in the future? If so, how many years will they continue to pay the registration fees before that happens?

Are most of them letting them drop? Selling off what they have for less than reg fee to avoid the cost of renewing?

I appreciate your input.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a couple mobi names myself from bulk purchase. I checked the mobi section this morning and see there is not a single sale for the past several months.

I assumed it is not dead yet but may be in a coma?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a couple mobi names myself from bulk purchase. I checked the mobi section this morning and see there is not a single sale for the past several months.

I assumed it is not dead yet but may be in a coma?

I saw that also..... Tell me; Roughly, how many do you have in your portfolio?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i only have about 5 but they are really good ones i paid good money for. i will keep renewing them forever most likely.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Under 10 as I am not a mobi fan and I bought them along with a couple lot purchases.
I was thinking l will list them for sale but I changed my mind when I see the activities from the mobi section.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw that also..... Tell me; Roughly, how many do you have in your portfolio?

I have 7 .mobi's, 5 of which I already renewed this year; I will renew the other two also. But if the .mobi market doesn't start looking better by next year, I'll let about half of them drop.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i only have about 5 but they are really good ones i paid good money for. i will keep renewing them forever most likely.

That's understandable, $50 a year in renewal fees to hang onto your investment....

I think my question is more for the big .Mobi investor, the one who has a portofolio of 500-2000+ Mobi's. Considering the cost, I doubt they would do the same come renewal time.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
liquidating several hundred - i do this about every year tho.. had a total of 900 a few weeks ago.. sold somewhere over 100 so far and raised a bit over 4k.. plan to get down to 350-400 total again like i had this time last year.. the reason i gained 500+ .mobi's in a year was because of the landrush drops i picked up and flipped several hundred.. lots of decent keywords dropped in 2008 on the "landrush anniversary"... but its all speculation and not everything sells so have to liquidate/firesale the rest.

nobody really lists .mobi's for sale on the main domain forums anymore because almost everyone interested in buying/selling is at the other .mobi forum... i dont think im allowed to mention other forums specifically here but google it.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have dropped almost every .mobi I had. I only have a couple left.

:frusty: .mobi

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I let a .mobi go last year. The name has long been taken in EVERY gTLD as well as MANY ccTLDs. Guess what, that .mobi is still available TODAY.

By the way, I saw an ad today of the mobile version of a national newspaper - m.financialpost.com. Isn't that lovely and way much better in every sense than financialpost.mobi?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, I saw an ad today of the mobile version of a national newspaper - m.financialpost.com. Isn't that lovely and way much better in every sense than financialpost.mobi?
must not be. Recent studies show only 5% of websites use the m. prefix.

Someone forgot to tell the other 95% of sites what the rules are.

So if no one can finalize and dictate to the rest of the world what MUST and what MUST NOT be used in terms of mobile connectivity, then does that mean mobi is not needed? By that same argument, if mobi is not needed because it has not achieved mass adoption, then the same is true for the m. prefix.

Imagine. A domainer speaks.

If a name is registered in 5 other gTLD's but the .mobi is not then the mobi must not be very good.

I love the mentality of domainers. I really do. Forget the fact that 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 registered may be nothing more than parked pages. Forget the fact that most consumers could care less how they get from point A to point B as long as they get there. Forget the fact that not one genius domainer has been able to tell the planet what they must use to get to a mobile site. Forget the fact that not one domain guru has stepped up and told the rest of us how the new IDN's about to be released will access the mobile internet. What in the hell are they going to do? Enter m. in Roman numbers, then domain in Arabic, then change back to the Roman alphabet to access the extension.

Lets see how this fits...

I don't use it therefore it is not needed.
I don't like it therefore it is not needed.
This site does not use it therefore it is not needed.

Yup, the mentality of a domainer rules. Domainers have that innate ability to influence Fortune 500 companies what they shall do with their marketing strategy. And domainers have used their supreme powers to tell ALL online merchants the one and only one acceptable way of connecting to the internet. And, most of all, the supreme domain gods have told consumers not to use .mobi.

Incredible, isn't it?

Just as incredible as, my god, I dropped a .mobi last year and - GET THIS! IT'S STILL AVAILABLE!

No kidding? It was that good that you regged it and dropped it but not good enough that anyone else would want it?

But, of course, that never ever happened with a .com or .net or .info or .org that you regged. You still have everyone of those, right?

Don't worry. I would be still blasting the mentality of domainers even if this was not a mobi thread. What I read and what people say more and more convince me that they are clueless.

Just like a mod who insists members need to learn what a GEO is because it clashes with his opinion of what a geo is.

Now, if people can not see something wrong with both of these conversations and rationale used to close a thread that is not someone's opinion of a worthy geo and a domainer talking about how worthless a mobi is because he supplied the proof of have regged one and dropped it and it was still available...

all I can say is WOW.

Great insight by the collective intelligence here on DNF.

Last edited:

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mobi is long dead

didnt you guys get the memo?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you guys drop .tel

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobi is long dead

didnt you guys get the memo?
The memo that sell all; buy gold?

The only thing I see dead is this forum and this thread and topic/thread - beating a dead horse with a new shiny whip fools no one except the one doing the whipping thinking all the time that she can divert everyone's attention to the shiny new whip.

Translated: Same BS, different coat of paint and rewording makes the intent by the OP the same thing. Read like an open book.

Just like the "I was just asking, I was just curious," or " what, I have no right to post in this subforum?" whine and sham.

Time to turn the page.

Last edited:

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Easy doc

Dont get all bent outta shape

Perhaps you just need somebody to blow your whistle

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Easy doc

Dont get all bent outta shape

Perhaps you just need somebody to blow your whistle
Here's the kicker. Who is bent out of shape?

Most members here and on this thread believe someone who writes so much must have to spend hours and so much time to put thoughts together.

People here really need to exercise their minds. Because their minds are apparently too closed to anything outside of their comfort zones.

Let me know when you guys drop .tel
umm, there were some regged besides the one that I regged?

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never saw the need for .mobi and also don't see the need for .tel

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom