Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's renewal time, What are you doing with your .Mobi's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol... Doc i love ya but you go off on some long-post tangents a lot of the time.

save some room on page 2 for the rest of us ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why save space?

No one reads it.

They look at the title, look who is posting, and just keep scrolling by.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hahaha... yea the internet has made my A.D.D. even worse... even if i didnt start out with it.. maybe ill get me a second monitor at some point so i can go completely insane.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
really mess with people's heads when avatars change...

DOH! I didn't mean to agree with him!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Long posts are fine; people do read long posts, as long as they are well written, with good organization, and well thought out content.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for an industry build on words and the value placed on words domainers sure are missing the boat, aren't they?

I am constantly amazed that an industry that derives its total business and revenue from names is opposed to names.
It's the end users that are missing the boat. Or are they ?

All I can say is get ready for a shakeup like you, me, or the internet has never experienced. It is going to be huge and it is going to be dreadful for many.
Yes, I think it's going to be be ugly for those who will invest their life savings into junk TLDs :cool:

BTW: I will renew 0 of my 0 (zero) dot mobi domain names :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's a .mobi?
What a dot zero?

There is one thing that all of this hinges on.

It is called a global economy for a reason.

I have yet to see anything in the news referring to a domain or DNF economy.

It's the end users that are missing the boat. Or are they ?

Yes, I think it's going to be be ugly for those who will invest their life savings into junk TLDs :cool:

BTW: I will renew 0 of my 0 (zero) dot mobi domain names :)
Here is another hypothetical (yet possible) scenario.

TM infringement, Typosquatting, and other "cybersquatting" and brandsquatting is at a tipping point resulting in all forms of pending legislation.

Imagine all the possible typos and variations of a brand/product like Pepsi and their horde of other products. No need to count but I just saw 1540 pepsi domains that unquestionably are not Pepsi owned. And that is just .com.

Think for a minute of every single generic product domain you currently have, whether they are a brand or not.

Let's say Pepsi decides the best way to combat all these bogus names is to have its own brand extension. Introducing .Pepsi. In time, and it would NOT take a long time at all, all consumers will be using .Pepsi for Pepsi related products and promos. Then Coke joins. Along comes .Sony, .HP, .Apple, and so on. Introducing the age of branding in a way never before seen.

And all those other typos, tm violations, and many generics? Worthless. Totally worthless because they are no longer used therefore have no traffic and no value.

Rather than play the game of defensive regs and beating domainers to a new product release, beat domainers on their own turf.

Suddenly there is no need for defensive regs. The cost is minimal and the benefits are enormous as consumers have total confidence they go to Club.Pepsi they go to an authentic Pepsi site and they are not going to ClubPepsi.com, a domain owned by

Matthew Roth
1222 E Saragosa St
Chandler, Arizona 85225
United States

Do you think this will happen?

It is not a matter of "if" as it is "when"

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A billion Chinese people are below the poverty level and don't even own a computer. Numbers of actual Internet use in China are much lower. Also, note that the .cn is heavily regulated in China. Want to open an adult theme park in China? Forget about it. Also, like most Asians the Chinese are intrigued by the Westerners. In that sense, they'd prefer .com over .cn

I guess you have never been in Asia let alone China. You couldn't be more wrong.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i renewing renta.mobi and sevende.mobi

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The weird thing is that the Russians prefer .ru to .com, and Chinese use .cn all the time and .com never.
Same with .de, etc.

And by the way, with .cn you get 4 versions for the price of one

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still got a few and I will hold on to them for a while, because I think they will make me a very wealthy man:

- More and more people are dropping their .mobi
- The more people are dropping their .mobi the less .mobi domains exist
- The less of something exists, the scarcer it gets
- The scarcer something gets, the more expensive it will be

So my strategy is to hold on to my domains until I own all .mobi domains in the world (all 10 of them !) and then sell them to collectors for biiiiiiiiiiig money.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's say Pepsi decides the best way to combat all these bogus names is to have its own brand extension. Introducing .Pepsi. In time, and it would NOT take a long time at all, all consumers will be using .Pepsi for Pepsi related products and promos. Then Coke joins. Along comes .Sony, .HP, .Apple, and so on. Introducing the age of branding in a way never before seen.

And all those other typos, tm violations, and many generics? Worthless. Totally worthless because they are no longer used therefore have no traffic and no value.

Rather than play the game of defensive regs and beating domainers to a new product release, beat domainers on their own turf.

Suddenly there is no need for defensive regs. The cost is minimal and the benefits are enormous as consumers have total confidence they go to Club.Pepsi they go to an authentic Pepsi site and they are not going to ClubPepsi.com, a domain owned by
Easier said than done, and it will be expensive to operate one's own TLD.
The cost may be 'minimal' for a large corporation, but out of reach for most businesses. Anyway it won't eliminate the need for defensive registrations. Some corporations already register their TMs in oddball TLDs that hardly anybody visits.

IMO it's like saying, cocacola.jobs (nice redirect BTW) is better than .com because applications in that zone are vetted and you're assured that cocacola.jobs is legitimate, and not a possible cybersquat.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Easier said than done, and it will be expensive to operate one's own TLD.
They would NOT be operating a registry.

This will be a closed TLD.

TLD's will become a new way and a new brand on the internet.

The cost is not out of reach for most business when we are talking most business advertising budgets already. In most cases the cost will be a great tradeoff for those that are brand recognized.

In short time, it will make other URL's with their name totally useless. When you want to know more about IBM and go to About.IBM you eliminate all other avenues.

I think eBay is going to be doing this. Imagine the tens of thousands phishing attempts, typos, TM squatters. Then imagine a closed TLD of:

cars.ebay
sellers.ebay
domain.ebay

Why go to ebay's main site when you are looking for a particular item? You have to enter a search term when you get there. In this case the search term is the URL

No confusion.

URL's are the brand. Brands are the URL.[/QUOTE]

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just like a mod who insists members need to learn what a GEO is because it clashes with his opinion of what a geo is.

Now, if people can not see something wrong with both of these conversations and rationale used to close a thread that is not someone's opinion of a worthy geo and a domainer talking about how worthless a mobi is because he supplied the proof of have regged one and dropped it and it was still available...

all I can say is WOW.

Great insight by the collective intelligence here on DNF.

one has nothing to do with the other.

sent you a pm!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Doc, why do you come across lately as being so bitter and seemingly upset?

Your just now noticing?

Perhaps being stuck with 700+ mobi's and being out a ton of money has something to do with it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, why do you come across lately as being so bitter and seemingly upset?
It is what it is.

Bitter? No. Just amazed and amused at domainers thinking like a domainer (personal likes and dislikes) in determining the success of ANY extension. It can be .org, .de, .it, or .mobi.

I have a mod threatening me because I attempted to draw a correlation between a person's personal likes and dislikes (regarding a specific category) and now in this thread how a person's personal likes and dislikes of an extension determining the value and worthiness (in terms of dollars, recognition, and consumer usage) of a domain or an extension

What do most domainers do? Buy a domain and park it.

How many .coms and .nets out of 117million regs are parked? Over 42 million of them.

What measure of success is that?

Sure. This is a domaining forum.

Domainers can set all the rules they want. They can change them daily as the wind blows. Domainers themselves are creating markets that they have no idea they are creating. None.

Upset? Not in any sense of the fashion.

I see some of the worst advice being doled out and some of the most laughable advice I have ever seen.

I would like to say "come back to this thread in 5 years and see if I am right".

But I won't.

Come back in two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom