Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Just discovered Sedo's minimum fee for .ca sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've only ever sold one domain via Sedo. And it was a .com. A $50 minimum commission is perfectly reasonable to make the sale worth their time.

While altering some of my fixed prices on Sedo today, I tried to price a .ca at $199 in an effort to blow it out.

However, it would not let me do this, as the price of the domain must be at least $10 above the minimum commission, or in other words, $210.

I saw $199 as a maximum for this domain, not a sub-minimum. So I decided to consult Sedo's price list.

And sure enough, .ca was listed as a "Category II" TLD. Or one of the "other" TLD's. In a word, inferior. And in turn, a license to charge us a $200 minimum fee, as opposed to the "Category I" $50 minimum.

Here's what Sedo considers to be "Category I" TLD's...

.ae, .aero, .ar, .arpa, .asia .at, .au, .be, .biz, .bz, .cc, .ch,.cm, .cn, .co, .com, .coop, .cx, .cz, .de, .dk, .edu, .es, .eu, .fi, .fm, .fr, .gb, .gs, .ht, .im., .in, .info, .int, .it, .jobs, .jp, .kr, .la, .li, .lu, .me, .mn, .mobi, .mu, .museum, .mx, .name, .net, .nl, .nz, .org, .pl, .pro, .se, .st, .tel, .tl, .to, .tv, .tw, .uk, .us, .vc, .vg, .ws, .za

(In all honesty, I was unaware that .arpa, and .int domains could be freely exchanged. There is a hint of sarcasm in this statement, though for them to have written out this list tells me there must be at least some sort of truth to it. This will have to be verified, though, as I cannot seem to find ANY .int or .arpa domains listed on Sedo...)

Many ccTLD's in this list are for countries with smaller populations than Canada, and certain TLD's such as .lu have been in existence for less time than .ca (.lu was formed in 1995, .ca was formed in 1987).

And this is just ccTLD's. Are you really trying to tell me that junk TLD's such as .pro and .ws are in any way superior to .ca?

I think something ought to be done about this. I'm going to send an email to Sedo requesting that they classify .ca as a "Category I" domain.

Anyone else think the same?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dido

domaingeneration

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it's $100 minimum commission for .CA in the past.
$200 is too high. Better to go through ShowcaseManager.com and Escrow.com
when you find your own .CA buyer.

Maybe your message will motivate a member to start a service that'd serve
.CA market more efficiently.

Where there's a problem, there's an opportunity ...

Alexander
Domain Educator
www.NicheResearch.com/read

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say this is a joke. Look at some of those extensions that are in the Category 1 level? Some of these have never even seen a posted sale I am sure. As has been already stated above, there are several options that offer better service, pricing and exposure than Sedo.

If I had no other option and had to come up with money maybe I would go there, but I would probably take a loss and sell on this forum before going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators