• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Just got of the phone with YPN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsturbed

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
559
Reaction score
0
So YPN does in fact not allow non-us traffic., that's craziness! but, however silly that may seem to me I must adhere.

What are you all using for Geotargeting your sites to adhere to YPN's TOS ?

I came across a nice tutorial on implementing Geotarget here:

http://ekstreme.com/geotargeting/geotargeting-php-code.php

But if your using something better... please let me know.

Also, check this out:

The following guidelines are to ensure a good user experience; failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the Ad Unit being removed from Your Site.

The Web page for implementation must meet the following guidelines:

* The Ad Page must be in English or Spanish and be consistent with the language of the Listings
*
* .. yada .. yada .. yada

Am I the only one that see's that ?

Spanish speaking people do live outside the US too... don't they ?


:peace:
 
Why is this so "silly"?

YPN wants to geographically target their traffic - it is not secret the most valuable traffic comes from the States - that's their decision and its up to their Publishers to follow that rule or risk having their accounts terminated.
 
GT Web said:
Why is this so "silly"?

YPN wants to geographically target their traffic - it is not secret the most valuable traffic comes from the States - that's their decision and its up to their Publishers to follow that rule or risk having their accounts terminated.

I don't know, maybe Im a little naive... granted, but I would imagine that advertisers would welcome visitors from other countries, especially considering the fact that many other countries are still in their infancy when it comes to the web - they're just now "tuning in"

Plus the fact that if that were a policy that were in place from the start, as YPN is still in Beta, shouldn't the ads be geotargeting on the server side ?

Cheers
 
I agree with that it may be hard to "filter" who sees the ads based on where they are from. I surely hope YPN doesn't expect every web site to keep track of who is from where before showing ads, that would eat up mega resources and would not work on most sites.
 
Funny dsturbed that your footer says quality over quantity.

I 100% agree that US traffic is the desired traffic of MOST advertisers so why bother with 3rd rate countries. When the other countries do catch up then maybe policies will change.

Also I never understood why ad companies can't just filter the IPs of people for us.
 
My 2c: it should be YPN who should filter the traffic and should give possibility for some replacement code if they reject the traffic, so if visitor is from unwanted country, another ad could be served.
 
denny007 said:
My 2c: it should be YPN who should filter the traffic and should give possibility for some replacement code if they reject the traffic, so if visitor is from unwanted country, another ad could be served.

That would be ideal. Maybe that should be suggested to YPN ;)

labrocca said:
Funny dsturbed that your footer says quality over quantity.

How so ?
 
denny007 said:
My 2c: it should be YPN who should filter the traffic and should give possibility for some replacement code if they reject the traffic, so if visitor is from unwanted country, another ad could be served.



Yep.. To me it makes no sense at all why they can't filter the clicks and ads themselves.


They have better payouts, but this is their *catch* that most people using them don't know about.
 
SouthernTn said:
They have better payouts, but this is their *catch* that most people using them don't know about.

Very *fine print* catch.. I didn't find out about it until you mentioned it tonight! Im still looking for where they *state* that they don't allow non-US traffic.

:peace:
 
dsturbed- did they just give you a warning or ban you from ypn?
 
scrsteven said:
dsturbed- did they just give you a warning or ban you from ypn?


From what I know, they just terminate the account, without warning.. I dont know about dsturbed situation
 
SouthernTn said:
From what I know, they just terminate the account, without warning.. I dont know about dsturbed situation

No, they didn't ban me... I saw SouthernTN's earlier post and I called them on what this "non-US traffic" issue was all about and cleared up a little confussion about their TOS - still waiting to see if they'll ban my account because Ive had quite a bit of traffic outside of the US.

But again, I don't see where they *state* that.
 
9.Your Representations, Warranties and Ongoing Obligations. As of the date that you enter into this Agreement and for as long as you participate in the Beta Program, you represent warrant and covenant that:
you are a business and you are participating in the Beta Program as a business;
if you are a sole proprietor, you are 18 years old or older; if you are an entity, you are a corporation, partnership or other legal entity duly formed and in good standing;
you are (i) the registered owner of Your Site, including the domain name, and/or (ii) the owner of Your RSS Feed, including all content contained therein;
you have all the legal rights needed to enter into and perform your obligations under this Agreement;
you have read and understand the Policies and you understand that your participation in the Beta Program is contingent on your compliance with those Policies and that violation of a Policy will constitute a material breach of this Agreement;
whenever you provide information to Overture, you will provide true, accurate, current and complete information and you will update Overture if the information changes;
you are a US-based business and you are operating Your Site and/or Your RSS Feed solely for viewing and use by users within the US; and
you will abide by all applicable laws, rules and regulations and you will not display or use any content that would infringe the rights of any third party (including but not limited to rights under contract, copyright or trademark law).

source: https://publisher.yahoo.com/legal/tnc.php
 
hey dsturbed, i think domainmaster found it for ya :peace:
 
I'd say as long as the majority of your traffic is from the US, you are safe. I used to implement geotargeting a while ago but found it resource consuming. I got 4 checks from them and am still in the biz. Some people say it's small publishers that need to worry. If you get lots of clicks then they won't bother with you probably because our gain is their gain :)
 
That he has. Thanks Domainmaster ;)
 
You're welcome. 87% one my sites gets that too. However, I find it hard to sustain because somehow the number of German and British visitors grows rapidly.
 
^ Yep.. just the other day I started to see countries pop up that I didnt even know had the internet
 
It does bring up an interesting point: its impossible to have ALL American traffic (unless you start blocking IPs). Even my sites (which are targeted to Americans) get about 15% of their traffic from Canada, the UK and other countries. Its pretty hard to avoid that...

Obviously we all know why YPN wants American traffic and I agree with those of you who said it should be up to THEM, not us to filter the traffic/clicks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom