Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Just had 700-800 PM's disappear from my inbox, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just was in my inbox and it was full and all of the sudden half of my old PM's disappeared when I refreshed the inbox...please advise

Chris

Upvote 0
Domain Summit 2024

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:) Thanks

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe an option in the future to download your pm's or something. I would also suggest some sort of mass members e-mailing of things that are going to be done.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow didn't even see that. Open your eyes POLiSH..

Thanks GD

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not the only one! :pound: :eek:k:=~~
Agree, we should have gotten an email or PM for that matter...

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recall receiving an all important PM re: Domain Magazine Subscription Teaser & Sign-up but did not receive any PM re: the (unimportant?) dumping of PM logs. :-S

In hindesight, maybe things could have been transitioned in a more user-friendly way. [Ex: Maybe look into gaining addition storage space with the revenues generated from Membership Sales versus dumping PMs from accounts designated as being able to hold 1500 messages.]

I hope this isnt the continued direction for the 'Spring clean-up'.

If the purpose of the exercise was to re-gain some server space and cut-down on overhead costs, a multi-pronged approach may have worked by Asking DNFers (especially those with the highest volumn of PMs) to go in and Delete Old PMs while also Directly Communicating with DNF Members (ex: sending everyone PM and/or Email) clearly annoucing, with weeks of forewarning, the initiative and how it will affect DNFers.

Varlin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Having now read the other thread, what a bloody joke! Great finding out about it after all the PM's are gone. Why weren't we emailed about this?

Maybe cuz it would have been too intelligent and considerate?

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A bit of notice via PM would have been nice. Any chance of getting access to them at this point?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL, They were supposed to do it Monday.

I wonder how much space it saved on the database by clearing out all the old messages

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The PM's took up 1 GB of space, the issue was not the space but the indexing of the DB and DB maintenance.

-=DCG=-

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can you do something about the messages count? For example i have only 94 messages yet on display it shows 1481. What can I do to reset the number? thanks

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The PM's took up 1 GB of space, the issue was not the space but the indexing of the DB and DB maintenance.

-=DCG=-
But is there any chance of getting back the old messages or are they in /dev/null forever? I never noticed the thread and didn't receive an email notification and I am, uhhhm to be honest, quite $^#((*^@%$#! about that !

Gregoire

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And why was something so drastic not emailed to us all. I haven't been here as often lately and I come back now to find that all of my PM's since 2004 are gone....

I assume you guys make regular backups of the database. Can you set up a temporary subfolder forum running on an older db backup so those of us who missed the memo can get our messages?

I find this very annoying that you guys would do something like this..

What good is the increased PM capacity for those of us who pay if one day they are all just wiped out... Please advise..

Was there an email notification as well? I missed that post completely and now all of a sudden I discover I lost the biggest part of my private conversations :upset:

Is there a possibility to put them back temporarily so we can back them up ?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Having now read the other thread, what a bloody joke! Great finding out about it after all the PM's are gone. Why weren't we emailed about this?

A bit of notice via PM would have been nice. Any chance of getting access to them at this point?

I'm also wondering... why didn't you send an email notice?

Not that I've lost any extremely important conversations, but still!

We receive advertisement through PM every 2 months and when you make an important change... nothing :?:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will seee tomorrow if we can put up a temp site for you to get pm's.

-=DCG=-

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNF has been improving a lots since Adam took over and we all appreciate that. But this is a very bad decision and execution process plan to say the least. I am surprised that this decision happened at a large forum likes DNF.

DNF should at least announced it 60 days in advance, send out 2-3 notification email periodically, or better yet, backing up individual's PM box and sent them to the owners. By posting it 5 days in advance in a Feedback forum, I believe 90% of the members didn't see it.

Sender

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just found this thread (and more importantly, the announcement thread) by stumbling upon it randomly.

With such a large PM box (1500), I never thought I would lose any PMs. Even more so, I only had 175 PMs in my box in my entire lifetime here. Now it's been reduced to ~50, which means I've lost about 125 important PMs. Those of you who are saying that they didn't lose anything---the counter is wrong. Check how many PMs you have by actually going into your box and adding up the number of PMs in each folder.

I can understand the need for maintenance and cleanup. But a 4 day announcement posted in a board that I don't read, with no e-mail notification, and to top it off...the thread wasn't even stickied (it was bumped periodically) is/was extremely unprofessional.

Any assistance in helping us retrieve our messages is greatly appreciated.

Gregoire

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any update about this "little problem"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom