Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Keep your guard up when transacting in the Forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I felt the need to post this, in the past week I have seen some people get burned by a posing seller who was selling other peoples domains to people at bargain basement prices.

I have seen a buyer asking for advice, only to have an onslaught of buyers go after his domain from that seller, when money is in play, the sharks are out as well, and they can be anywhere, even hiding behind usernames in the forum.

I know Adam touched on this a few months back, always keep your guard up, I know you get a sense of security while within the forum walls, and transacting, but remember this even Bernie Madoff started off legit in the beginning. 99.99999% of the people here are great, and follow the rules, but there can be the odd black sheep that once and a while rears it's ugly head. Always try to view trading rating before purchasing, or sending money. If you think it is to good to be true it usually is.

In all my years in domaining, I have dealt with more honest, and sincere people in domaing, than any other industry I have ever seen. I have sent paypal payment to sellers upto $1000 all on a few back, and forth emails. With domains, and money transacting faster than ever you need to constantly update your level of awareness, as after a few transactions you get that sense of security which can be troubling at times.

I hope if someone sees something that isn't right, and the affected party is not online, they call the unethical actions out on that member.

I dealt with my situation, I am soured by it, I have been trying to spend money on dnforum, add some liquidity, but after getting burned by a member disregarding domain forum rules, and domainer etiquette, I just wanted to put this out there.

Last edited:

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love you.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm all for naming and shaming. If you have had a bad experience with a DNF member recently I think we'd all appreciate it if you let us in on a little details.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm all for naming and shaming. If you have had a bad experience with a DNF member recently I think we'd all appreciate it if you let us in on a little details.

i agree.

out the person, use the report button and give specifics

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It was the guy whom Adam banned. In the old days, there were some wheeler/dealers here.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will provide some details, maybe I am wrong.

There was a fixed price listing with maybe 100 domains up for grabs $25 each. I posted the two names I had selected, and wrote sold yesterday afternoon. A few hours later someone else posted sold to one of the domains I had already claimed. I posted on the thread I had already posted sold first. In the AM they acknowledged that fact, and seemed to agree. Well in the morning, the buyer went thru their emails from most recent, and sent this other person the auth code, and they moved the domain to another registar after they knew they were not the first bidder. By the time the seller got to my email, and saw what had happend they contacted this other party and they had already moved the domain, and wanted to keep it. Since they had moved it, not much the seller could do but apologize.

Meanwhile this other party edited their thread on the sale page, which was timestamped where they were agreed I had bid first, and they would inform the seller if they got contacted first by chance, and replaced it with a single . (DOT).

I do not blame the seller, the other party knew, and did something unethical, and against forum rules. I really would not have made this thread if they had not gone back, and edited their statement, and try to erase it. I PM'd the other party, they have been here a while, and know the rules, and told them, what they did was not right, and I said I would out them if they did not make it right. They replied with a bit of profanity, but did agree to transfer the domain. At this point I simply told them to keep it, as if it meant that much to them, that they would go through all this, to trick me, and the seller, whatever.

Yes, This other party was aware I had posted claim first, and they were aware of this when the seller sent them the auth code as well. All this happend within maybe a 16 hour period from my initial bid, and the seller is not very active on the thread so I can understand their confusion.

So maybe you guys can weigh in, maybe I am wrong, I just try to do the right thing... I know the mods can't only do so much, we basically have to police ourselves, and keep each other honest, that is how a civil society, and forum operate...

Last edited:

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, for the sake of keeping this civil, and save Airmax the dreaded job of "outing me"

I am the person he is speaking about, so there it is I broke the silence, so below I have provided a chronological order of my actions:

- there was a long list of .CA domains (100 names) and the seller dumped the price by 50%
- lots of us bottom feeder domainiers looking for a deal and lots of comments
- I seen 2 domains I liked
- one was lets call it "domain1"
- so i posted SOLD in the thread
- at this exact time I noticed the SELLER said and I Quote " email [email protected] for a quick response.
- so i emailed the SELLER my intent to purchase without the bother of PM'g
- now understand the SINGULAR + the PLURAL was for sale one under the other in the same thread
- I should also note that I have purchased other domains from the SELLER and have inside knowledge they never check their PM messages
- and ALSO note that later in the day I noticed that someone else had typed "domain1.com SOLD in the thread and was "clearly done before me"
- so i edited my thread(s) and removed my comments

So later that day

- the SELLER sends me his "paypal_address" to pay for the domains
- I figure the BUYER backed out
- I realize the PLURAL was better than the SINGULAR spelling so i figure i catch a break on a good name
- I pay for the domains
- I transfer the domains

And later that SAME DAY

- "potential buyer" sends me a threatening email to EXPOSE my MORALS

So my Response

- Yes, I do see you were in the thread before me, please forward your information so i can transfer the domain to you

"Potential Buyer" response

- keep the domain - i am upset you edited your post, acknowledging you knew i purchased the domain before you

My Enlightening Realization

- I later realized you purchased before me
- the SELLER offered the AUTHORIZATION codes so i figured life is good and TRANSFERRED
- I offered the DOMAIN BACK TO YOU

Sorry - i cant do better than that, mo malcontent implied,

Summary:

we are all "bottom feeders" this is a "terrible business" we are all "struggling with renewals"

so i am "too old" and "too tired" for this

~ian

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All this happend around 6am-9am PST this morning, not LATER In The Day..... It was pretty obvious you were aware I had won it, and there was a chance the seller would get confused, as they had a number of deals on the go, and you agreed I had won it first, basically letting me claim the domain, yet you go and push it out after the fact... and then edit out your statement

Everything is in the thread in black, and white, until you start editing it out. This has nothing to do with being tired, and old, and having renewals to pay for, it has everything to do with forum rules... I am done with it, enjoy your domain. I chose not to name names, and was trying to bring awareness to the thread in case something like this happend again...

This was the text the other buyer removed, and replaced with a dot, at 6:15AM PST, before the seller had logged in, and given the auth codes to them:

---Quote (Originally by airmax)---(left last night by me)
I already bought it (put this on the board last night)
---End Quote---(replied to this morning by the other buyer, before the seller had done anything)
okay, well i now see the post earlier, i paid for it yesterday along with Debtloan, so i will PM + email him now (replied with this AM in the thread, and after they moved the domain, edited it to a .)

Last edited:

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you went to this great length to get it, keep it, just a domain, 100,000 drop everyday, comes down to reputation, and ethics for me.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya I got burnt 180, but since then implemented a "push before pay" clause to some sellers. It works out great. I surely don't want to ruin my reputation on this forum for 200 or even 2000 bucks. I also inform them that I'm in Japan and if it's noon in America and 2am here... if I don't immediately accept the transfer after money, it's because I fell asleep waiting and it'll come as soon as I wake up-- if it doesn't, report me on DNF to tarnish my name (or attempt to, cause most likely I'll have a PayPal transaction ID and PM's saved by that time).

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah Acro is right...we need to get along

What more can he do? He offered the domain to you. Group hug :hug:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this story would be best left untold. No one scammed anyone, just a small mistake over $50 worth of domains.. :yawn:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
All that typing over $25?.. I should be paid that for reading this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom