Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Keyword Vs Brandability - Domain "weight" Depreciating In Seo

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, better to get a short name like WeShip, Freighto, CanSend, Sendy, etc.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
find your own path

don't worry about what goog will do, because you have no control over it

either get keyword domains, brandables, or both.

keep it simple, don't over complicate choices.

imo....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's mostly about how your clients see you, especially if they are repeat clients.
SE traffic is good for new clients, but existing clients don't search for you, they try to remember your identity.
This.

The problem is that many webmasters are obsessed with SEO, but branding is a different game. A low quality, unbrandable domain can do well with SEO. But when it comes to advertising, the weaknesses like the lack of memorability etc become apparent.

Also, there is no rule that says you must choose between a brandable and a generic/keyword domains. You could get both: use the brandable domain in advertising to establish your brand and use a keyword domains for SEO purposes (could be a redirect).
Large corporations often have lots of domain names that all serve as entry points to their websites: it's called market segmentation. You don't have to use a single domain name as part of your online strategy.

If you are in Oz, I would strongly recommend that you get the matching .com.au of your .com... especially if your focus is on Australia proper.

However, I have to agree that fr8 is not a good choice of brandable domain, especially if it is meant as a substitute for freight. At best you will look cheap and amateur. You know, it's the 'l33t' speak popular in hacking circles. You'll probably lose some traffic but mainly your credibility will suffer.

Do some brain storming, write down all your ideas, the domains you like, plus the extensions, see which ones are available, which ones aren't but could be for sale and take it from there :)
Perhaps a keyword suggestion tool would help. Some registrars offer this service.
I also like to use sites like synonym.com for finding related/similar keywords and multiply the number of possible keyword combinations :)

Mal Badman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@katherine

Thanks for your comment. I have seen large corporations use multiple Domains for segmentation purposes, like Barnes and Noble. They own book.com and books.com and paid six - seven figures for each one! They redirect these to barnesandnoble.com.

However they only work for direct type-in into the brower bar. If you search "book" or "books" in a search engine, they are nowhere to be seen in the organic results,or Adwords. Maybe because they are redirects? And I have noticed that if you have not previously visited a site that corresponds to your direct type-in, it runs it through a search engine anyway, and gives you organic results. So unless the masses type in "book.com" into the brower bar they are always going to be sent through a search engine.

I am probably over thinking this and should just Keep it Simple like @Biggie said.

Its a big place out there in the market place, and I just want to get myself the best possible exposure I can.

Thanks for the Business Name tips.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators