Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

keywords as domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reed

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This may be a very basic question so please bear with me, I'm gathering info.

How effective are domain names when they match certain keywords that have high overture hits? For example, if the term "monkey bananas zoo" had high overture numbers, would that automatically translate to a higher ranking on a domain name of "monkeybananaszoo.com" or does it really have no effect at all?

Basically if someone searched on "monkey bananas zoo", would it be beneficial to have the domain "monkeybananaszoo.com".

It doesn't appear to but I was wondering if it helps at all.

Domain Days 2024

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The name is only one factor in SEO. Actully, monkey-bananas-zoo.com would probably rank higher since the words are separated for indexing by the hyphen, even though verbally and for typing hyphens are considered unwanted.

In addition, it helps to have those words actually on the pages, preferably near the top, in headline text and as page titles, among other things.

What search engines value and penalize is mostly speculative since they're kept secret and change frequently. Overdoing something can sometimes work against you as well.

I think keyword domains give a small advantage for SEO, and a huge advantage for type-ins, but content is still king with incoming links and traffic close behind.

reed

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Interesting thought about the hyphens, I'll looks into that.

Let's say for example I have a website, "monkeyzoo.com" , that is developed and receiving traffic. I want to get more traffic so I register "monkeybananaszoo.com" and "monkey-bananas-zoo.com" because the combo "monkeys bananas zoo" is searched frequently, according to overture. With these two sites, I could put together 3 pages with content with relevant keywords and such but they actually forward to the main site so that possible I might pick up traffic from people searching those specific keywords.

Does that sound like an efficient use of time and effort?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
reed said:
Thanks for the reply. Interesting thought about the hyphens, I'll looks into that.

Let's say for example I have a website, "monkeyzoo.com" , that is developed and receiving traffic. I want to get more traffic so I register "monkeybananaszoo.com" and "monkey-bananas-zoo.com" because the combo "monkeys bananas zoo" is searched frequently, according to overture. With these two sites, I could put together 3 pages with content with relevant keywords and such but they actually forward to the main site so that possible I might pick up traffic from people searching those specific keywords.

Does that sound like an efficient use of time and effort?

From what I hear, you better point them to distinctly different pages on the same site. Word is that just parking will yield the equivalent of 3 domains with identical content which "may" be penalized by the Search alogorhythm as content or domain spamming the search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom