Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Language Forums section is BAD idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the Language Forums section ... seems like a bad idea.

The vast majority who visit DNForum are here foremost to do business...

Emphasizing language differences could potentially split the marketplace at DNForum...

...with most of the "hurt" falling upon those who choose to use the Language Forums because, over time, many will likely distance themselves from the rest of the forums / activity on the site; miss out on socializing with many DNF members who will never go into another language forum.

Some things that seem like good ideas really aren't ... again, please reconsider the Language Forums section.

Ron

Upvote 0

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they were supposed to implement a transalation option, but i never saw it.

this would solve the language issue.

as is, it's a separate section for non-english speaking members or those who wish to communicate in spanish, and i don't think it's fair to the total membership, if the translation option is not included.

imo....

There is one http://www.dnforum.com/forum384.html

Domain Summit 2024

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems nothing has been done to address any problems on DNF since the iReit partnership. I have seen several support threads that have gone unanswered for weeks now. Yet the international community as getting attention here? What about the rest of us who were here first? Would be nice to see some basic problems here addressed before opening the community to international users.

Also, why not just buy IDNforum.com from the current owner and launch a sister site. 95% of the members at DNF don't want to learn other languages and won't benefit from having other languages posted here.

Well, its stragne 007 to hear this from you.
I dont agree with you at all, but will try post my opinion clearly here (as I have some issues with english hehehe).
I think that iReit parnership will give dnforum.com a good boost in the mid term. I dont know much about the details on how they will be integrated here, but I have no doubt that Adam will do the best for all of us.
On the other side, i agre with you that there are some "open issues" that are not answered yet. We all know how difficult is to deal with a big site like this one. I trust Adam is going to find a way to fix this. Hopefully the new stuff will work on that.

And about non english forums integrated on dnforum.com, seems that most of you dont agree with it. Its quiet strange, because its a huge new market for you all. But opinions are opinions. Maybe an alternative is to open a paralel forum supported by DNforum, but not integrated.
I dont think so... but its another alternative...

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Findacoder,

Let me clarify what I meant. I too agree that the iReit partnership is a good thing. I just noticed that DNForum has slowed down since that was announced. In the long run it can be a very good thing if DNForum can still be run as it was before, as lately it seems like it's been put on the back burner.

As for multiple language forums. I only meant that I think the standing issues should be dealt with first, before creating the multiple language forums.

I think that putting the forums on DNForum.com could be confusing to all of us who don't speak other languages, mainly due to the "New Threads Today" search, which would show everything. It's actually quite possibly to code this so each user has the option of seeing multiple languages in New Posts Today or not, so ideally if that were the case it wouldn't be a problem.

The separate website idea is only if they can't set it up as described above, but really it's not a hard thing to code. I coded a similar feature on my forums. ;-)

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Findacoder,

I think that putting the forums on DNForum.com could be confusing to all of us who don't speak other languages, mainly due to the "New Threads Today" search, which would show everything. It's actually quite possibly to code this so each user has the option of seeing multiple languages in New Posts Today or not, so ideally if that were the case it wouldn't be a problem.

Ditto.. I don't speak Spanish nor do I want to see Spanish IDN threads when I click on UNREAD posts which often clog up my view...!!

what's so hard to comprehend?

geez

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the original thread:

GiantDomains said:
You should use the Groups feature in vB, so you have to join the group to see the forum, for those that don't want to see all the other language forums.

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you all about the "Chance to choose which languages to view"
mainly to avoid confusions.
I am not coder so dont know exactly how difficult can be to implement. Maybe we can work this out with adam or admins to see how possible is to make this in the short term

pertosda

AdSense Optimizer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The USA flag stands on those who dont agree with the non-english sections, I wonder why...

I think they have not understood internet is something global going beyond los angeles and new york.

I was really suprised to see those complains, but not so much after checking where they come from.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The USA flag stands on those who dont agree with the non-english sections, I wonder why...

I think they have not understood internet is something global going beyond los angeles and new york.

I was really suprised to see those complains, but not so much after checking where they come from.

Feel free to operate DNForum.es

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Life isn't fair ... english is the language of business.

Personally, I don't care if DNF chooses to divide itself into zillions of language forums so be it ... but pointing out that in such a scenerio there will presumably be many people who will spend an extraordinary amount of time in specific language sub-forums while missing out on the action in the main, english-based sections.

A better approach may be to keep the same english-based sections as now, but instead offer translation tools that automatically translate text based on one's language preference in User CP; readers could be shown each message in a thread in its original form, and below each message within a thread shown the translated version - I've never seen it implemented that way on a VB site, but would likely work really well... something for DNF and/or some other forum to consider trying.

Ron

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your ideas sounds good, but most difficult stuff would be the "translations" itself, so it does not seems like a "robotic translation"

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think you're having a hard time grasping what we are talking about here. Perhaps you are truly in need of a spanish-only forum.

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Generally, I don´t mind the idea of language forum sections, but - and I am sure we all agree - as English is
the language of business.
that´s what we MAINLY should be able to see.

If it is possible to eliminate the others language posts out of the "new/unread post" feature, I would much appreciate this.

Yet I think there are some other problems occuring here at DNForum currently that are much more important to be dealt with...

pertosda

AdSense Optimizer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you're having a hard time grasping what we are talking about here. Perhaps you are truly in need of a spanish-only forum.

Excuse me but I am not the one defending one-language-only forums...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I should not have to "defend" anything. It's fine the way it is. Comprende?

pertosda

AdSense Optimizer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, it is completely fine, with spanish section included (sorry, I mean "foreign" section)

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, it is completely fine, with spanish section included (sorry, I mean "foreign" section)

Nobody disputes this fact, still it is annoying to "over"read all posts in the "Today´s Posts" /unred posts. If that is what´s wanted here then please find a way to seperate those posts from the "normal".

But, if everybody speaking a different language than English would request an own section we would not need to bother calling us community.

There are hardly any complains about people not speaking/writing English properly (and to those who make any stupid remarks we should always turn around and tell them to learn a different language first of all) - so,why not just stick with English all over ?

pertosda

AdSense Optimizer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nobody disputes this fact, still it is annoying to "over"read all posts in the "Today´s Posts" /unred posts. If that is what´s wanted here then please find a way to seperate those posts from the "normal".

Of course, that is understandable and should be fixed (maybe joinining explicitly to a suforum, as suggested above).

But in the post opening this thread, that was not the reason given to say Language Forums is a BAD idea.

But, if everybody speaking a different language than English would request an own section we would not need to bother calling us community.

I guess it is not necessary to open a forum for each language, but there are a few of them widely spoken all over the world (and by a considerable amount of DNForum Members) which also happen to be quite popular for the domaining market.

There are hardly any complains about people not speaking/writing English properly so,why not just stick with English all over ?

Yes, it is not an essential need since most (if not all) members speak english, but why dont we just take it as an extra feature? Useful for some, innocuous for others (just as many other sections).

and to those who make any stupid remarks we should always turn around and tell them to learn a different language first of all

I couldnt agree more with you :thumb:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
This forum is not about learning other languages. It should be a unified bazaar to exchange domains and trade services. English is perfect for this - and it's not even my primary language. I didn't pay to be Exclusive in order to have a cornucopia of funny languages like a tower of Babel. You guys want to chat in Spanish, Chinese, Martian - go make your own for God's sake.

SuperBrandables

SuperBrandables.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My main language used to be spanish. However after 40 years in the US, that is no longer the case. I would like to say that I am quite happy with DNF the way it is, however, there is nothing wrong with adding a spanish domains section. I think the problem stems in that the language being used within the threads is spanish. That part of it could be changed. I don't see anyone complaining about all the IDN domains being posted with all kinds of weird looking characters. So maybe the solution is to create a section to list spanish domains but let the language be in english. cavish? DNF should probably do this for at least a handful of the main languages of the world. So in addition to IDN domains with subsections under it, we could also have Other Languages with subsections for spanish, german, italian, russian, portugese, french. (NOT IDN)

OK, that's my two pennies. Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom