Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Language Forums section is BAD idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the Language Forums section ... seems like a bad idea.

The vast majority who visit DNForum are here foremost to do business...

Emphasizing language differences could potentially split the marketplace at DNForum...

...with most of the "hurt" falling upon those who choose to use the Language Forums because, over time, many will likely distance themselves from the rest of the forums / activity on the site; miss out on socializing with many DNF members who will never go into another language forum.

Some things that seem like good ideas really aren't ... again, please reconsider the Language Forums section.

Ron

Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
They need to fix the vBcode first.

Domain Summit 2024

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Users that come here that don't speak/read/write english aren't going to miss the other parts of the site anyways. But having sections available to them makes perfect sense. We live in a global world, and a true high profile site should reflect that.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think dnforum should be more of a place to discuss domains n share ideas/experience n not as a domain market place. if this happens then fraud will increase n given the chance people will cheat other.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea to have the "other language" forums to cater for full participation of all DNForum members. Not everyone here can confidently express him/herself in english. It also helps to to break the english monotony by promoting other languages as well. Don't get me wrong.

just my 2 cents

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Like it or not, the global language of commerce is English. Segragation leads to problems. DNF is already too big - too many subforums. The extra language sections add nothing.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don´t agree with you Acro....english could be the global language of commerce but you cannot ignore - for example - the 400.000 millon of people who speaks spanish...I´m included.

And that´s what Adam objective is...if he doesn´t make a place to other languages, someone else will do.

As Abraham said, not everyone is comfortable writing and speaking other language than his...and DNF is giving a place to all...Their are making DNF a multinlanguage forum that will receive late or quick all the attention and the business...

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not care other languages but I do not want in "today's post" all languages. I recently read DNF only by clicking "Today's post", if half of it will be another languages it will cost me a lot of time to go through it

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don´t agree with you Acro....english could be the global language of commerce but you cannot ignore - for example - the 400.000 millon of people who speaks spanish...I´m included.

And that´s what Adam objective is...if he doesn´t make a place to other languages, someone else will do.

As Abraham said, not everyone is comfortable writing and speaking other language than his...and DNF is giving a place to all...Their are making DNF a multinlanguage forum that will receive late or quick all the attention and the business...

Every place in history where there has been segregation - racial, cultural, financial - has failed. I am sure nothing stops the Chinese or the Hispanics from using English - and they have demonstrated that well on DNF as well. To separate the forums in language-specific "shops" is taking away from treating the forum as a unified "mall". Having chit-chat and discussions in various languages is one thing, but having separate places to list domains is another. So would I have to list my .es domains in the Spanish section? Or the .cn in the Chinese section? I'm also Greek-speaking, good luck με αυτες τις μαλακίες! :-D

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not care other languages but I do not want in "today's post" all languages. I recently read DNF only by clicking "Today's post", if half of it will be another languages it will cost me a lot of time to go through it

I agree that this is a ´technical´ problem that must be solved...

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like it or not, the global language of commerce is English. Segragation leads to problems. DNF is already too big - too many subforums. The extra language sections add nothing.

Well, your expression "The extralanguage sections add nothing" its kind selfish.
Maybe doesnt mean much to you, but there are lot of people that dont speak english and are into this business.
There is a HUGE market in chinese, japanese, spanish and other languages.
Maybe some people have the chance to talk both their native language and English, but some others (an there are lot that i know) dont know much about english or prefer to express theirself in their native, so, language subforums might help to get some integration into the big forums.

Internet market its turning into new niches, and those are mostly "non english" related.
This is something its happening and if you want to be leader in this industry, you have to be faster than others.
Maybe now we dont have much participation on the language subforums, but this is like preparing the field for the boost.
Similar stuff happends with IDNs. Most people think that "ASCII domains are the only ones to focus...." while IDN market grows bigger and bigger each month...

You have to be prepared for changes... and languages subforums its one of those...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question: where would I have to list .es names? In the Spanish sub-forum? And the .cn names in the Chinese chat forum?

Don't be selfish just because you're Spanish-speaking. And I live in central Florida with the largest Hispanic community from Cuba and Puerto Rico in the US. Guess what, they all speak English in public. At their homes, they speak Spanish.

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do speak both english and spanish.
Spanish subforums are not aimed to replace the "central" marketplace.
Mostly is to talk about domain name news in the spanish market, that might now bother to other people.
Spanish market its growing faster and there is lot of people starting to learn about this, so we thought would be a good idea to give them a place in there, also for those that need help in translations, generating content in spanish, and other stuff.
The marketplace there its aimed to spanish domains, including ccTLDs, but you can post them obviously in the "central" marketplace, to expose it to the whole community.
I dont think that Adam or any other administrator would have problems about double posting in this way.
What you will have for sure is good appaisals or comments in the language subforums, as most of them would be done by native speakers.

Just my opinion

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Soon Chinese will prevail over English.

IDNs for life :)

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the foreign language subforums are not necessary, and just add more chaos. But hey, let's get the vbcode working...

Huron

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont know if Chinese will prevail, but for sure, IDNs will be the next hot stuff in a few month/years.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chinese already has prevailed. It is the most widely spoken language in the world... Over 1 billion speakers with English speakers trailing behind.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Chinese already has prevailed. It is the most widely spoken language in the world... Over 1 billion speakers with English speakers trailing behind.

In China, yes. But Considering China is only 1/5 of the world population the international relations are conducted in English.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they were supposed to implement a transalation option, but i never saw it.

this would solve the language issue.

as is, it's a separate section for non-english speaking members or those who wish to communicate in spanish, and i don't think it's fair to the total membership, if the translation option is not included.

imo....

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems nothing has been done to address any problems on DNF since the iReit partnership. I have seen several support threads that have gone unanswered for weeks now. Yet the international community as getting attention here? What about the rest of us who were here first? Would be nice to see some basic problems here addressed before opening the community to international users.

Also, why not just buy IDNforum.com from the current owner and launch a sister site. 95% of the members at DNF don't want to learn other languages and won't benefit from having other languages posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom