• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Legalities of download/pirated software "links"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whydna

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Hi, does anyone know about the legalities of providing links to downloads of illegal software, movies, etc.

For example, bit-torrent link sites, forums like warez-bb.org, etc.

How are these sites still running?
 
Seems like a thin line to me. Linking to those sites will certainly get you flagged with Google though, so if you like being in Google then it's not a good idea to do that.

I don't think you can get in trouble personally though, since you aren't hosting the files, but then again I am not a lawyer so I can't say for sure.
 
Ask Denny007 about it. Check out his signature.
 
Most wouldn't advice doing it if it's a domain or site you care about.
 
go to google, yahoo, msn or any other search engine and search for whatever illegal piece of software you want. you will find tens of thousands of links - don't worry about it. Just don't host the material yourself. That's not a legal opinion, just an observation of the way things are.
 
Ask Denny007 about it. Check out his signature.

I am just innocent search engine. If someone find a children porn with Google - would be Google to blame ?:)
 
Reason I ask is because I own a downloads domain, and want to create a downloads forum. Not that I will be promoting the sharing of pirated downloads links - but wondering if I should work hard to prevent them from being posted.
 
Even just a link to an illegal download can cause problems. Does not matter if the actual download is on a server in a country where it is not illegal.

I've been contacted in the past from the Hollywood legal types regarding "links" on sites on my servers.

I had a client who ran a torrent tracking site. No physical downloads just a tracking site, with links to torrents..

As far as I was concerned it was not illegal. But I didn't need the headache of lawyers so I just pulled the site.

Why do these lawyers never chase google/yahoo etc for having links to torrents???
 
I would stay away, unless you know what you are doing and have a lawyer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom