Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

List all the 6 figure IDN sales here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IDN domains are in existence for many years now.
Some people are big IDN fans and while other are saying "show me the money".

There is so much controversy among domainers regarding IDNs.

Given the long existence of IDN domains, I think there must be many mega sales so far which should be put in one single thread to educate people. I thought this thread will help making things look the way they are.

Please list all the 6 figure IDN sales (verified only) here.

Thanks.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given the long existence of IDN domains, I think there must be many mega sales so far which should be put in one single thread to educate people. I thought this thread will help making things look the way they are. Please list all the 6 figure IDN sales (verified only) here.
Thanks.

IDNs have a "long existence" more in the development phase than the use phase due to lack of browser support.
Until Microsoft announced they would have IDN support on the IE7 brower it was still a waiting game. IDNs will come into mainstream use internationally over the next year or two, particularly used by the 80% of the world that does not speak any English.

I have not seen any 6 figure sales, not to say it has not happened.
There are IDNs that would probably bring 6 figures right now (shanghai.com in Chinese for example)
but sellers are not willing to even negotiate for them.

There are many 5 figure sales reported, and many more that are private.
A list of some sales is reported at idntools.net

The potential value and upside of IDN far outweighs the risks now that Microsoft is onboard with their browser.
The upside for IDN$ could be pretty phenomenal over the next few years.

msl

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mmmm... shouldnt take too long to list them......... none!

idn = International Domain Name
or
idn = Enron part 2 :)

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IDNs have a "long existence" more in the development phase than the use phase due to lack of browser support.
Until Microsoft announced they would have IDN support on the IE7 brower it was still a waiting game. IDNs will come into mainstream use internationally over the next year or two, particularly used by the 80% of the world that does not speak any English.

I have not seen any 6 figure sales, not to say it has not happened.
There are IDNs that would probably bring 6 figures right now (shanghai.com in Chinese for example)
but sellers are not willing to even negotiate for them.

There are many 5 figure sales reported, and many more that are private.
A list of some sales is reported at idntools.net

The potential value and upside of IDN far outweighs the risks now that Microsoft is onboard with their browser.
The upside for IDN$ could be pretty phenomenal over the next few years.

OK in that case lets list 5 figure and over sales in this thread.

The purpose is to educate people here on what sells and in what price range so that IDN buyers can make informed decisions.

Thanks.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK in that case lets list 5 figure and over sales in this thread.

The purpose is to educate people here on what sells and in what price range so that IDN buyers can make informed decisions.

Thanks.

Here's a website that tracks IDN sales (including snaps) - http://idntools.net/idnsales.php

But a disclaimer from me: you buy at your own risk.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Within a few years you'll see $XXX,XXX sales.

Also who really cares? Keep saying IDNs will be worthless. Those that started 1-2 years ago bought premiums for $7 a pop. At the worst case for many of the investors here whom paid $14(2 years) it still isn't too shabby. You have to look at the market. As long as there are buyers everything will work out well. Much better than the stock market.

Holding onto the name for one - two years ($7-14) and selling it now for $2500-$5000 is one huge return. There haven't been tons of sales because most people are obviously holding out for more. Every few months prices will increase. Those that are getting into the game now well.... they're a lil bit jealous. I would put rickhumar is one of these jealous characters.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Discussing IDN sales in a thread makes me jealous?

I thought I was helping out members here about the IDN market :)

Explorer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some people are big IDN fans and while other are saying "show me the money".

There is so much controversy among domainers regarding IDNs.

Given the long existence of IDN domains, I think there must be many mega sales so far which should be put in one single thread to educate people. I thought this thread will help making things look the way they are.

Please list all the 6 figure IDN sales (verified only) here.

Thanks.

So, what you are saying is if there are only a few PUBLIC 6 or 5 figure IDN sales, the IDN market must be dead. That's great logic.
Here is a rhetorical question for you: how many 6-figure ascii.com sales were in 1994?

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Discussing IDN sales in a thread makes me jealous?

I thought I was helping out members here about the IDN market :)

I gotta say IDN .com pricing is climbing at a high rate. Many are already selling for more than one word .orgs that Acroplex sells. :p

Good luck on the .mobi and .eu. We all know what a hit those two extensions were.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I gotta say IDN .com pricing is climbing at a high rate. Many are already selling for more than one word .orgs that Acroplex sells. :p

Good luck on the .mobi and .eu. We all know what a hit those two extensions were.

ahem!

flowers.mobi 200k - there you go! A six figure sale, but not IDN.

Remember, most idns are .com. Not .weird. :p

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

What you need to do is compare the IDN market in this stage of its life at ASCII at the same stage of its progression. Add the fact that probably 98% of international language internet users are not aware of IDNs at this point.

But that is all about to change. And the change will happen over the next year as the International businesses choose to display their business names in native language urls, and people begin to search or "type in" in their own languages. How do you "type in" in the English language if you can't even read or understand the language? If you were to have to navigate the internet in a non-English language, would your user experience be the same? IDNs will come into use because they serve a great purpose, and will make using the internet easier and more efficient for non-English speaking users.

IDN values will rise, as they go into more widespread use. Today they are only a fraction of the value they will be 2-5 years from now.

Saying that, a better guage of the market today is what is NOT for sale. There are virtually NO "deals" or giveaways on top generic IDNs or major city IDNs. Most holders of top IDNs aren't even listing their top IDNs at this time. Take a clue from that where the market is heading.

Discussing IDN sales in a thread makes me jealous? I thought I was helping out members here about the IDN market :)

No problem asking any questions or raising any points, positive or negative. IDN is still a speculative investment from the standpoint that no one knows how high they will go.

What is clear is that IDNs will come into widespread use over time, and the system and browser support is now in place to allow that to happen.

For the investment of $7 or $8, it would be hard to lose any money on your investment even if you have to wait 3 years. The potential returns for IDNs if they even do 1/10th as well as ASCII is still huge.

Bottom line for many is a conservative investment, with outstanding return potential. Don't invest money looking for a short term gain, but consider the upside if it performs nearly as well as other domains. Some of the countries, like Japan have 130 million population, huge economies, and widespread internet use. Maybe worth a risk of $50 for 7 or 8 IDNs.

To some degree, it is kind of like being back in 1997 with all of the knowledge of 2007. Worth thinking about that, unless you think the "whole" non-English speaking world is going to "reject" using their native language to surf, search, or advertise their websites on the internet.

idn = International Domain Name
or idn = Enron part 2 :)

You obviously know nothing about the history of IDN development and the potential to globalize business in a much greater way than ever possible with only "all English" urls. English only urls certainly have not scored well on "ease of use" for anyone that doesn't speak any English.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
98% of international language internet users

98% a understatement, more like 99.99%.

98% can apply to DNF, 98% of members on DNF - whats the crap is .weird all about?

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Considering your recently expressed opinions this is called a troll and it is very transparant sir.

Don't pretend to be interested whilst your really trying to see if you can mock IDN's by assuming unrealistic figures to be (for some reason) determining in the success of IDN. Why mr. Kumar, do you fixate your question on 6-figure sales, why not just ask for the largest known sales ? I know the answer but maybe you can enlighten the unwitting audience.

Most public sales took place in the aftermarket and yes as few reached 5 figures over a year ago, some german idn's have sold for what may be end user prices;

(prices in $)
städtereisen.de 60,168
übersetzer.de 23,672
défiscalisation.com 17,669
装修.com 12,000
公司.com 10,750
südtirol.info 10,300
東京.net 10,000

Of course if end-users have indeed bought for 6-figures it may well be kept private for strategic reasons.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Within a few years you'll see $XXX,XXX sales.

Also who really cares? Keep saying IDNs will be worthless. Those that started 1-2 years ago bought premiums for $7 a pop. At the worst case for many of the investors here whom paid $14(2 years) it still isn't too shabby. You have to look at the market. As long as there are buyers everything will work out well. Much better than the stock market.

Holding onto the name for one - two years ($7-14) and selling it now for $2500-$5000 is one huge return. There haven't been tons of sales because most people are obviously holding out for more. Every few months prices will increase. Those that are getting into the game now well.... they're a lil bit jealous. I would put rickhumar is one of these jealous characters.

Within a few years you will see Seven Figure sales. The credibility gap is now very small and the timescale within which the critical outstanding issues will be resolved is very short. If Top IDN are not worth 6 figures by the end of next year they are not going to be worth anything. How long did it take to record a 6 figure sale for dot mobi? In my opinion that was a bigger leap of faith than is required for IDN. Once the traffic arrives it is game over.

I think you are wrong about Rick. I think he a fence sitter, but unfortunately they only end up embittered with a very sore arse.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Within a few years you will see Seven Figure sales. The credibility gap is now very small and the timescale within which the critical outstanding issues will be resolved is very short. If Top IDN are not worth 6 figures by the end of next year they are not going to be worth anything. How long did it take to record a 6 figure sale for dot mobi? In my opinion that was a bigger leap of faith than is required for IDN. Once the traffic arrives it is game over.

I think you are wrong about Rick. I think he a fence sitter, but unfortunately they only end up embittered with a very sore arse.

I was being sarcastic about Rick. You seem to never comprehend what a joke is. Also, it will take a while to reach seven figure sales. Traffic burst won't happen overnight. Businesses won't pay a million dollars for the name unless people are used to typing in their native language on the web. This will happen fast but may take a few years longer than expected to go mainstream.

Of course spanish IDN are doing well now. It's based on the same alphabet except they use accents. A person isn't going to differentiate between an accented and non accented letter. They will type the natural word and not stop to think. They have been doing this for years. We may just very well see seven figure spanish IDN sales first. (within your time frame) Japanese etc will take a bit longer.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some people are big IDN fans and while other are saying "show me the money". There is so much controversy among domainers regarding IDNs.
Thanks.

Do you speak languages other than English or have lived (or traveled) outside the US?

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you speak languages other than English or have lived (or traveled) outside the US?

I know 5 languages including English.

English is not my mother tongue.

I lived in Asia for 24 years, then moved to Canada, and then to US.

Thanks.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I cannot see anything but success for IDN's and I do not consider it necessary to get in to "mine is bigger and better than yours" slanging match on a forum.

I live in Thailand, the Thai's I speak to would like to use their own language but do not know how. Marketing is the key, once the awareness spreads then I am sure they will use it.

.mobi has been one of the best marketed products certainly internet domain related. I think by the time the .mobi marketeers have done their bit they will have branded it as THE way to become web enabled.

It does not matter that other names could be used for the same purpose, 99.9% of mobile users will not know that. .mobi will make their product the premier way to do it.

If a similar concerted effort were made promoting IDN's then perhaps their widespread use will occur sooner.

And no, I am not particularly a .mobi fan- I just fully appreciate the way they are going about branding their product - street smart!

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally I cannot see anything but success for IDN's and I do not consider it necessary to get in to "mine is bigger and better than yours" slanging match on a forum.

I live in Thailand, the Thai's I speak to would like to use their own language but do not know how. Marketing is the key, once the awareness spreads then I am sure they will use it.

.mobi has been one of the best marketed products certainly internet domain related. I think by the time the .mobi marketeers have done their bit they will have branded it as THE way to become web enabled.

It does not matter that other names could be used for the same purpose, 99.9% of mobile users will not know that. .mobi will make their product the premier way to do it.

If a similar concerted effort were made promoting IDN's then perhaps their widespread use will occur sooner.

And no, I am not particularly a .mobi fan- I just fully appreciate the way they are going about branding their product - street smart!

Agree with your comments....very insightful.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know 5 languages including English.

English is not my mother tongue.

I lived in Asia for 24 years, then moved to Canada, and then to US.

Thanks.

1. What country in Asia have you lived in?

2. What's your native language?
3. What are all the languages you speak

Many of the top IDN speculators actually live in Japan/China/Singapore etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom