Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld March 2nd 2011 TBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddys4

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
final price for dental $1803 (plus HST of course)

Daddys4

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i won redemption and occupied. what i will i do with them g-d only knows.
maybe redemption.ca can be a site dedicated to Bob Marley.
while occupied.ca can be a site for bathroom stalls.
just joking of course

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
occupied.ca could be a neat web development company, after you build the site it would then be occupied.ca

-=DCG=-

Daddys4

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
occupied.ca could be a neat web development company, after you build the site it would then be occupied.ca

-=DCG=-

how about a site where people can tell there stories of living in a one bathroom house, with four kids.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Msn, what names you are talking about? Perhaps not everyone who bids on Pool.com has access to Dnforum.com

It could be.

When one could check who picked up names, I would ask them if they were on the forum.

It gets frustrating trying to hawk a domain here for $5., and watch someone then pay $60 to Pool.
(I didn't post troutlake.ca, because I'm tired of wasting time).

I think the person who picked up piechart.ca a few years ago might check the forum from time to time.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It gets frustrating trying to hawk a domain here for $5., and watch someone then pay $60 to Pool.
(I didn't post troutlake.ca, because I'm tired of wasting time).

I would love to have access to all the people that look at the TBR. Almost every name I drop is picked up for $60 minimum, some have gone for much more. I am at a point where I am afraid to drop names. I can't tell you how many names I have dropped that I now regret because I couldn't think of a use at the time, but now I can think of several.

The problem is, if everyone had access to the "TBR market" to sell their domains, or if there was a big centralized market like realtors using MLS, there would be a huge overabundance of decent domain names and most wouldn't sell for $10.

I think it is still going to be a long while before it is a seller's market. The question is, is it worth investing in a "decent" domain that may not sell for 10 years. One problem is that the technology might change by the time it's a seller's market. For example, search engines will probably be able to distinguish a Canadian website without having to be a .ca. There will also be changes that we can't even anticipate.

Please note that I am not talking about quality names, just decent names that are not selling but get picked up in the TBR.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would love to have access to all the people that look at the TBR. Almost every name I drop is picked up for $60 minimum, some have gone for much more. I am at a point where I am afraid to drop names. I can't tell you how many names I have dropped that I now regret because I couldn't think of a use at the time, but now I can think of several.

The problem is, if everyone had access to the "TBR market" to sell their domains, or if there was a big centralized market like realtors using MLS, there would be a huge overabundance of decent domain names and most wouldn't sell for $10.

I think it is still going to be a long while before it is a seller's market. The question is, is it worth investing in a "decent" domain that may not sell for 10 years. One problem is that the technology might change by the time it's a seller's market. For example, search engines will probably be able to distinguish a Canadian website without having to be a .ca. There will also be changes that we can't even anticipate.

Please note that I am not talking about quality names, just decent names that are not selling but get picked up in the TBR.

I think the problem is related to our unrealistic price expectations. Some of us don't understand why their domain name was picked up during TBR run, but on the other hand we should ask ourselves if we would sell the domain name for $15-60 if somebody had approached us. Pool.com has a price of $60+tax=$67, but there are other registrars that catch decent domain names for a lot less, for example MYID.ca ($18), namespro.ca ($17), Sibername ($35). But no, we won't sell the domain name for $18 to anybody, in fact most of us will be offended to hear that price from the potential buyer :).

OnlineStore.ca is right, this is not a seller's market in .ca marketplace, but it may never be. One of the worst things that can happen to .ca domain name space is allowing everyone int he world to register domain .ca domain names. It can actually turn out to be the best thing for domainers holding .ca assets. OnlineStore, CallingCards.ca is a great name btw!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also see many of my drops picked up each week after being offered here on clearance. It's rather funny to see people waste their money but then I think the people doing that are the ones who are not supposed to be owning .ca domains to begin with, and can only do so with any cloaking via the tbr...

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also see many of my drops picked up each week after being offered here on clearance. It's rather funny to see people waste their money but then I think the people doing that are the ones who are not supposed to be owning .ca domains to begin with, and can only do so with any cloaking via the tbr...

That might be a valid suspicion: it appears to be common for Pool.com to acquire a .ca domain but the domain registration remains in the name of Pool for years afterwards, or into the Pool anonymous registrant service.

If you think about it, Pool.com is the main 'international' TBR outfit for .ca domain registrations, and its customer base is likely similarly international.

That is not to say MyID and Sibername do not also have non-Canadian registrants, just that Pool is a natural source for these customers.

Last edited:

DomainSpace

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I cannot get is why people pay Pool $60 for domains that were already offered here for $10 and $20.

What bugs me is I also used to own fulltimejobs and I offered it for sale on this site with no offers (it was with some other domains being offered). I dropped the name and it sells at pool for 1650 at tbr.. :upset: ...

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What bugs me is I also used to own fulltimejobs and I offered it for sale on this site with no offers (it was with some other domains being offered). I dropped the name and it sells at pool for 1650 at tbr.. :upset: ...

While that is frustrating, it is also frustrating for us, since some people offer domains a few hours before the registration is to be deleted, and I cannot stay up all night waiting for e-mail from people.

Generally, we buy quite a number of domains, and it is always a good idea to PM a list with bottom-line prices well in advance of deleting domain names.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I might be guilty of buying domains for too much in TBR, but I did end up getting honk.ca in this TBR for $110. I THINK that's a pretty good price as the name has lots of potential. But what do you guys think, did I overpay?

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you guys mistaken about dental.ca. If you type in google inurl:dental.ca you will see that there are hundreds of .ca sites that finish with the word dental. It is used as a noun basically.

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

re: honk.ca

I don't think you overpaid. Good name for a marketing company and for many other topics

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you guys mistaken about dental.ca. If you type in google inurl:dental.ca you will see that there are hundreds of .ca sites that finish with the word dental. It is used as a noun basically.

Technically, it is still used as an adjective - the registrants use 'dental' in place of 'dentalclinic' to keep things short.

But the art is in finding the right word - or term - that could stand in for dental clinic and is yet unused or under-used: when you find that, you will have found gold.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i won redemption and occupied. what i will i do with them g-d only knows.
maybe redemption.ca can be a site dedicated to Bob Marley.
while occupied.ca can be a site for bathroom stalls.
just joking of course

Can you give an idea of what you'll do with occupied ?
(The last price that I saw for dental pre-auction was 700, so I'm assuming occupied cost more than that, right? So, there must be a plan of some kind.)

Daddys4

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you give an idea of what you'll do with occupied ?
(The last price that I saw for dental pre-auction was 700, so I'm assuming occupied cost more than that, right? So, there must be a plan of some kind.)
i really haven't decided what i will do with occupied.ca. To be honest with you i don't do much with my domains but hold them.
I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators