• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed May The Force Be With You . com - Is $6,700,000 too low? :)

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
0
I read about this one around the time I started domaining in late 2001. Then it looked like the possibility of a drop was looming, so I went for it.

There used to be more info on the web besides what appears in the top sales lists, including interview material from someone associated with the losing $6.7 million bid. (What'ya know - the bid was real.)

It gets traffic, but I'm keeping mum about particulars for now.

Over time I managed to get the other gtld's, then eventually decided to let them drop.

I have to admit to being curious about what happened - why did it drop, what happened to the previous registrant, why didn't he contact the real bidder and take the $6.7 million, and, who made the phony $10 million bid that killed the eBay auction? Was it someone who is now a member at DNF or one of the other big forums?:)

Your thoughts are appreciated, and definitely your confession if you indeed are the one. (Will the real Spartacus please stand up?:) )
 
I would love to review the article you are referring to as to the interview with the loser.

In it's Star War heyday, yes this was a popular phrase. And it still is. But I have trouble believing such serious bids were submitted. But who knows...Star Wars spawned a whole new generation of fans just like the Trekkies.

If the bids and the bidders were legit, that is some serious money. You mention you got involved in domaining in 2001. Does this sale pre-date that year? About when did this sale supposedly take place?

I would definitely be finding that loser in the article and offering him a deal.
 
It must of been one crazy fan to have bid $6.7 million. I ran a search and found another article saying the last real bid was $300,000 which is still heaps for that domain.
 
for sale? ;) I say low-mid x,xxx today
 
This was 1999. I've been unable to find that item on Google anymore, but I may have the correct name, or at least the correct last name. It included a quote to the effect that "we just figured we had been outbid..." in referring to the $10 million fiasco. They apparently intended to use the domain for some kind of film business (imagine that). What you can still find with Google now is this:

10,000,000 BOGUS OFFER April 13, 1999 Ebay, entertainment weekly (bid was fake)
(6,700,000 bid was real)
 
George Lucas would have slept with Darth Vader for this domain.
 
eBay?

Non-Paying bidder?

That's a shocker.

If someone wanted to interview me for the publicity for being a "loser", hell yeah! C'mon!

"Yup, I bid 8.5 mille. I didn't know and they didn't know that I was talking Italian Lire. Yup, that's 8.5 mille lire."

"Ah, yes sir. That's about roughly 6 American dollars."

"What's that? Um, no. I did not see the movie but I heard all about it."

"May The Force Be With You? No, that is not what I was bidding on. I thought I was bidding on MaybeFartBeInYou.com."

"No mam, I did not read the auction title. Like I said, I did not see the movie, just heard about it and that's what I thought I heard"

"Who's on the phone? Jay Leno? Who the hell is that?"
 
eBay spokesman [deleted] admits this kind of thing does happen. ''It's unfortunate,'' he says. ''But you could tell something was fishy -- this would have been the highest sale ever.'' Though some eBay users didn't think twice. ''We wanted to use the site to promote our movie and individual projects,'' says artist [deleted] of [deleted], Fla., who claims that the $6.7 million bid he made was authentic. ''We thought we got outbid.''

Well, not on Google anymore, but now that I've found it I think I'll leave out the names in case I want to find this guy. But it's not really that hard to find. If he's still in Florida, perhaps even some of the Florida DNF crew can help with a brokerage deal.:)
 
Lol. The bidding can start at $6.5 million, but that's only for DNF members.
 
I wouldn't pay $500 for it. I had trekkie.net some while ago and either let it drop (by mistake) or sold it for very little. Just my usual 2c.
 
i offer 10.00 authentic bid.....and i conqur..
 
do you actually own the domain or not?

Registered to a company that I own and not me personally. Put the privacy on shortly after posting. Can prove it later if you want, simple to do and I already thought of this.

Mods please delete post #14.
 
Sorry, I forgot this was an appraisal...
Significantly less than the 6.7 mil offered in 1999.
 
George Lucas would have slept with Darth Vader for this domain.

Personally i don't think Chewbacca would have even spanked the monkey ;)
LOL
$xx - $xxx very low, just for novelty value :smilewinkgrin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom