• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed MLBplayoffs.net & MLBplayoffs.mobi

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know MLB is tm, not sure about playoffs, definitely MLB ACLS and NCLS playoffs.

The difficulty here would not only be TM issues but licensing issues.

You may want to look into these matters first. Difficult to give adequate or justifiable appraisal if this violates both TM issues as well as merchandising and licensing issues.
 
Thanks for the heads up, it is most appreciated.

Can you direct me towards some one I can ask those questions to? I'm guessing somesort of Trademark attorney?
 
Go to the MLB website. I would imagine in their site map that are going to have a section explaning in detail the usage and right to all their names and licensing regulations. The NFL is the same way. Chances are nothing may ever come of it but I would play it safe. The guys are big on unauthorized and unlicensed merchandise and they would most likely view a domain or a website in this manner.

I personally know of the NFL winning some domains in particular that deal with the superbowl and the roman numerals as we are all familiar with those as in SuperBowlXXXV, SuperBowlXL, etc.

MLB may be the same way.
 
Again, your insight is greatly appreciated and I will take your advice.

Thank you
 
Or maybe it stands for MLBP layoffs and just happens to have MLB content? hmm... :yes:
 
Or maybe it stands for MLBP layoffs and just happens to have MLB content? hmm... :yes:
Great idea! Until MLB scores and logo start showing up...
 
I do have a question though;
then how do other websites get away with writing 'MLB Playoffs' on their pages?
'http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard' will not doubt eventually say "MLB Playoffs" somewhere and they will have paid advertisements on the page; so why is that not a TM issue (Yahoo is profitiing from the paid adverts on that same page titled 'MLB Playoffs' ?
I of course want to avoid all TM problems, but how could I do that? If I just put current playoff chatter/info, thats no good?
 
I do have a question though;
then how do other websites get away with writing 'MLB Playoffs' on their pages?
'http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard' will not doubt eventually say "MLB Playoffs" somewhere and they will have paid advertisements on the page; so why is that not a TM issue (Yahoo is profitiing from the paid adverts on that same page titled 'MLB Playoffs' ?
I of course want to avoid all TM problems, but how could I do that? If I just put current playoff chatter/info, thats no good?
That is why I think the best thing would be to visit the MLB site. These are all very good questions. I hope to have a generic sports ticker or site up soon reporting on all the sports worldwide. Lord nows what or who I will be violating.

NFL, MLB, NHL, FIFA, all have certain logos. Like NASCAR etc. Using those without permission is a huge no-no. That is why so many people get busted at stadiums and other venues for selling unlicensed team merchandise. The Big Boys are not getting their cut.

I would imagine that Yahoo has a license to use anything MLB related. That is in their best interest for both.

The use of those three letters MLB is of little consequence. It is how you use those letters and if they are like or similar to Major League Baseball.

Seriously, I do not think you will have much of an issue even if you proceed with a site design. Just use generic images and clip art etc. and stay away from their logo. If you do a site that contains links or sign up with an affililiate site (perhaps even the MLB has its own affiliate content), those links to another other site that perhaps sell MLB merchandise need to be on the up and up and not selling MLB pirated or knock-off merchandise...something that you have NO control over.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom