Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.MOBI - What were you able to land? How did the registrars' competition fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best place to pre-order turned out to be Pool and Dotster. Now you can go anywhere for manual registrations, GoDaddy has been working with new regs for the past couple hours from what other posts have said.

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anyone know how sibername did? anyone secure any names with them?

scorpio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
irrp and moniker r doing instant registrations now.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I nabbed CellService.mobi at GD

Fast and Easy. :)

Of course, I had to grab up GoPC.mobi ;)

All but one of my reg's were successful and through DG. I'm happy

Just don't forget to LOCK your domains... they are not being done automatically as usual.

GoPC

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,
just regged a .mobi . wasn't going to bother if i'm honest 'cos thetre's so many .infos etc i need to reg & at 75 cents each it hurts to pay $60 for 2 years for a .mobi
anyway renewal won't be that price. went with godaddy as personally i love their service.
as i wasn't originally going to reg .mobi didn't do any research apart from knowing certain things weren't worth regging like other extensions. everyone has their own criteria list.
FIRSTLY : is $30 per year normal reg fee? & is everyone saying min 2 years reg?
SECONDLY:, once it has accepted it. (In godaddy's case only if someone else hasn't applied it will let you apply) Does it mean you have it? Or is it like .eu & we have to wait till oct. 11th to see mass fraud! :greenlaugh:
Thirdly :If the answer is YES you have it to question 2. Is there a .mobi whois already?
Thanks in advance
Predator

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FIRSTLY : is $30 per year normal reg fee? & is everyone saying min 2 years reg?
SECONDLY:, once it has accepted it. (In godaddy's case only if someone else hasn't applied it will let you apply) Does it mean you have it? Or is it like .eu & we have to wait till oct. 11th to see mass fraud! :greenlaugh:
Thirdly :If the answer is YES you have it to question 2. Is there a .mobi whois already?
Thanks in advance
Predator

1) $30 per year seems very reasonable, seen much higher prices.
Yes, two year terms only

2) Once it has accepted it you should have the domain.

3) whois.dotmobiregistry.net

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cheers chelsea, you're a goodun!
:amen:
Predator

DomainTakers

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had the best luck with godaddy if you believe that.
I got a total of 12 LLL.mobi, but wasnt able to get any of the generic one words

Here is my list:
ABJ.mobi
SRD.MOBI
SRF.MOBI
SRH.MOBI
SRJ.MOBI
SRK.MOBI
SRL.mobi
SRN.mobi
SRR.mobi
JMM.mobi

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not a .mobi believer here

yulili

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I saw these two were still available. Could not believe no one wanted them. I took them.

CARIBBEANCRUISE.MOBI and CARIBBEANVACATION.MOBI

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think MOBI has a different thing going than traditional domains... The idea for this ext is to notify visitors that the sites is relevant to the Mobile Device they are accessing through. So to some degree, large scale sites, parking sites and other strictly ppc/affiliate sites, I don't think, will do so well.

So, I've been sticking to domains that are relevant to the immediate market. Maybe I missed the boat on this one but I think it's a safer bet.

Who knows though, right? LOL!

GoPC

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just because my cell service sucks, or is grossly over-priced, but who can afford to surf the net via their cellphone for more than a few minutes each month?

Unless I had an existing biz that utilized the ability for cellphones to read/access the material I just can't find a reason to buy into .mobi.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just because my cell service sucks, or is grossly over-priced, but who can afford to surf the net via their cellphone for more than a few minutes each month?

Unless I had an existing biz that utilized the ability for cellphones to read/access the material I just can't find a reason to buy into .mobi.

Maybe the rea$on$ to buy will be clear in 5 years time. Who knows. Perhaps the most exciting thing about .mobi is that it is backed my the mobile companies and MicroSoft. For this reason, everyone with a cellular will understand what a .mobi is sooner or later. I am not a fan but if .mobi is forced onto every mobile device then I would rather be a part of it now.

.mobi backers according to BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5379170.stm

DOTMOBI BACKERS
Ericsson
GSM Association
Microsoft
Nokia
Samsung
Syniverse
T-Mobile
Telefonica
Three
TIM
Vodafone
Hutchison (3)
Google

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree. Things to bear in mind are bigger, better cell phone displays - unlimited internet access and faster speed. Speculation involves betting on uncertainties. The risk/reward ratio is pretty good if you're looking at just a couple of .mobi names. When it's all said and done I should be looking at (5) I'm happy with.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to see what I got :)

I know I got a few nice ones............

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We ordered 23 using godaddy and got 17....not bad. This is the first time ever we used godaddy so quite good.

Because most premium domains are already reserved by the registry we got some solid keywords with hyphens as they belong to our nich such as Credit-Report.Mobi, Home-Loans.Mobi, Car-Insurance.Mobi, Debt-Consolidation.Mobi etc.

Also got 5 non-hyphenated ones such as OnlineAdvertising.Mobi, Handbook.Mobi and Homebiz.Mobi

Not sure if .mobi will fly so only got few and mostly related to areas what people look online or possibly use their cell phone for.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom