Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Moniker.com down?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

websiteacquire

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if it will EVER come back up for us folks here in Australia :(

TSD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what is going on in Australia. I could only find two sites that tested from locations there and they both could not access Moniker's nameservers ...

http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3?domain=moniker.com
http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.ping-test.html

Until this is resolved by Moniker, the only suggestion I can think of is to update your nameservers at Moniker to somewhere else. If you can't access their site from there to do so, maybe you can do so through a proxy or contact Moniker and ask them to do it for you.

websiteacquire

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hour after hour and moniker is still down for us here in Australia :(

Embrand

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can access the site through a proxy server such as hidemyass.com. But I do not feel comfortable logging in this way. Does anyone know if it is safe doing it?

virtualrealestate

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker has blocked blocks of IP addresses from accessing their website. They were hit with a DOS attack from China ... You need to give Moniker all your IP addresses involved and they will remove them from the list.... (I just hung up with Moniker's head tech Peter)

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are down and all/any DNS or URL Forwarding changes I made today never took effect. Sitting with client for 30 minutes to show him his website and because of Moniker being down, I can't reach it .... Drove 90 minutes to show client nothing. Thanks Moniker!! (A company like Moniker doesn't have any redundant servers setup? Shows u how cheap they are).
Thanks Monte.... Pray I dont find another registrar that I transfer my domains to (I have over 2,500 domains registered with Moniker and this is BS)

Sorry to hear that and thanks for replying to my thread.

What happened to your domains? Were you using Moniker DNS? This isn't the first time that Moniker DNS failed, so I'm going to change DNS server to solve the problem once and for all. I hope changing DNS will solve the problem? Or will it not?

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Yeah, not sure what is going on in Australia. I could only find two sites that tested from locations there and they both could not access Moniker's nameservers ...

http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3?domain=moniker.com
http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.ping-test.html

Until this is resolved by Moniker, the only suggestion I can think of is to update your nameservers at Moniker to somewhere else. If you can't access their site from there to do so, maybe you can do so through a proxy or contact Moniker and ask them to do it for you.

I'm going to do that, darn, my hosting company charges for the name server! Any better solution? Does GoDaddy provide reliable name servers? Even that will take a few days to switch over!

virtualrealestate

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is more of a result of the DOS attack that happened yesterday. I have had issues with Moniker before in the past, but this is the worst that has ever happened. Although once I physically got Monte (of Moniker.com) on the phone, the ball started rolling with them (thanx Monte, seriously) trying to help me get my stuff fixed. Now I've been speaking with one of their head techs and things are moving along.... Basicallly like i said above, they blocked certain blocks of IP addresses from reaching their site (because of the DOS attack) ... turned out my ISP's DNS servers IP addresses were on that list (and Im in NY on optonline), once they removed those IPs from that 'ban list', I was able to get back onto Moniker.com
So you need to provide to them every IP address involved (yours, your ISP's DNS servers, etc) and they will remove them from the 'ban list' ....

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moniker fixed my problem, but I'm not going to stay at status quo, it is apparent that Moniker's DNS servers are as vulnerable as their homepage web servers.

Has anyone got the DNS server issues with GoDaddy? I'm thinking of moving to GoDaddy or subscribe to the DNS service provided by my hosting company (which costs money).

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Use DNSMadeEasy.com or some other reliable DNS service that features redundant servers spread out around the world in various geographical locations. I have been using them for many years with not a single known outage.

Many registrar's "free DNS" and "free URL forwarding" services are subject to outages. Looks like Moniker did not spread out their DNS servers and URL forwarding servers geographically.

When I saw the post from Bari that they hosted their servers in Los Angeles, I couldn't believe that they would use Los Angeles for the location for their hosting.

One good earthquake and they could be out of business, and potentially down for weeks. Hopefully, now Monte and crew will use geographically diverse servers (DNS, URL Forwarding, and for their web page/user login and domain maintenance). Having one single point of failure, not to mention in an earthquake prone zone (LA or San Francisco), or in a hurricane prone zone (Florida), is not good business.

Last edited:

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Use DNSMadeEasy.com or some other reliable DNS service that features redundant servers spread out around the world in various geographical locations. I have been using them for many years with not a single known outage..

Thanks. I'm not technical, but will using a reliable DNS service help if Moniker servers are down? I mean, the domain is still at Moniker?

TSD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it will help, the domain can still be registered at Moniker but if you are not using Moniker's nameservers it will not matter what happens to moniker.com or their nameservers in so far as people being able to access your site.

WINNA

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
moniker url forwarding down today for 17 hours today. As soon as I called them all my URL's magically delegate to the correct sites. Very frustrating as they do not have 24 hour customer service and very dissapointing as URL's were going to google pages. What do you do?

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
moniker url forwarding down today for 17 hours today. As soon as I called them all my URL's magically delegate to the correct sites. Very frustrating as they do not have 24 hour customer service and very dissapointing as URL's were going to google pages. What do you do?

Are you sure it was something on Moniker's end? The best thing to do in a case like this is to open a help ticket and follow up with your rep.

WINNA

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it was something on Moniker's end? The best thing to do in a case like this is to open a help ticket and follow up with your rep.
Did all that, tried to call and told to leave a message. I called about 30 mins ago and the rep tells me that the URL forwarding was experiencing technical difficulties and that the techs were repairing it. Pretty weird if you ask me.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker forwarding is down, nothing is working this sucks monkey juice

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker forwarding is down, nothing is working this sucks monkey juice

Hey Focus - I had this checked out last night when I saw your post.... tech checked it out and advised me there was no issue. If you're running into something specific, I ask that you create a help ticket and support will check it out. Feel free to email me the case # for follow up.

WINNA

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just for the record... Telstra.com an isp here in Australia is blocking me from accesssing Moniker.com and this has been happening for 10 hours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom