Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

multiple .biz registrations will = bad faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Prediction 1 : because the .biz registration restrictions require a bona fide intent to put the domain to business or commercial use (for example, personal use as a family domain is NOT permissible), many .biz speculators will over the next year or so lose their registrations to STOP, RDRP, and UDRP proceedings. Note that .com, .net, and .org do NOT have such restrictions. Some will even lose generic second-level domain registrations because they are trademarks in some part of the world.

Just as in the early days of the UDRP, the registration of 40 plus .biz domains will be used by Complainants under the ICANN proceedings to prove bad faith.

Specifically, multiple .biz registrations will be argued, as was the done in the early days of the UDRP, to indicate that the registrant holds far more names than could ever put to legitimate business or commercial use and, thus, that the challenged domain was registered in bad faith.

Prediction 2 : when .biz speculators realize that staking out .biz domains is riskier than staking out .coms, because there are fewer registration restrictions in the .com TLD, the value of .biz
registrations will decline.

Invitation: If you disagree with either prediction, please indicate so and why.

Domain summit 2024

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another issue with .biz is the alternate roots.

Unlike the legacy TLDs .com, .net .org, .int, .edu,.gov, .mil and .arpa and the ccTLDs .biz (ICANN / Nulevel) is not recognized by most if not all the alternate roots. Pacific root claims 6% of Internet users using thier DNS that means 6% of Internet users that dont see the ICANN / Nulevel .biz.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RE: Prediction 1 : because the .biz registration restrictions require a bona fide intent to put the domain to business or commercial use (for example, personal use as a family domain is NOT permissible), many .biz speculators will over the next year or so lose their registrations to STOP, RDRP, and UDRP proceedings. Note that .com, .net, and .org do NOT have such restrictions. Some will even lose generic second-level domain registrations because they are trademarks in some part of the world.

Just as in the early days of the UDRP, the registration of 40 plus .biz domains will be used by Complainants under the ICANN proceedings to prove bad faith.

Specifically, multiple .biz registrations will be argued, as was the done in the early days of the UDRP, to indicate that the registrant holds far more names than could ever put to legitimate business or commercial use and, thus, that the challenged domain was registered in bad faith.

Ans: There is too much money involved for NeuLevel to go after all site owners not complying with the UDPR. The only ones asked to return their domains will be complaints made by other parties wanting a particular domain. I think that at least 70-80% of all the .biz domains registered were registered by domain speculators. But don't quote me on that. :)

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotsofdomains
Prediction 1 : because the .biz registration restrictions require a bona fide intent to put the domain to business or commercial use (for example, personal use as a family domain is NOT permissible), many .biz speculators will over the next year or so lose their registrations to STOP, RDRP, and UDRP proceedings. Note that .com, .net, and .org do NOT have such restrictions. Some will even lose generic second-level domain registrations because they are trademarks in some part of the world.

Prediction 2 : when .biz speculators realize that staking out .biz domains is riskier than staking out .coms, because there are fewer registration restrictions in the .com TLD, the value of .biz
registrations will decline.

Invitation: If you disagree with either prediction, please indicate so and why.

I AGREE !

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with your predictions dotsofdomains.

the value of .biz registrations will decline

Um, doesn't something have to be up before it can come down?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
not really....
look at .CC, .TV, .WS , new.net and every other alternative domain co.
when were they up?
some of them just die before they are born. :(

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dang it. I was hoping from some spicy responses fron the .biz stake-out artists.

Not a peep from them, although someone with POWER changed my name to addict. Coincidence? You tell me forum veterans? Is the truth hard to take? Put a little apple sauce on it and shoot it down with brandy and anything is tolerable!

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of cornering the market with a new TLD called .fizz :)

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fizz: save the really big bubbles for me, unless this TLD will be like fine champagne, in which case I want the tiny bubbles. Somewhone else can take the blue suede shoes. --dod

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dod, .fizz is gunna be nothing less than the Dom Perignon of domains :)

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the .biz restrictions will be enforced. So I disagree.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
7,500+ .biz names were re-released back to the pool to be grabbed, just like that.

One was from a site that was offering over 2,000 .biz names for auction. Neulevel just cracked down on them with little warning.

It's bad biz to sell .biz.

I believe Neulevel didn't want the .biz extension to be just another extension for speculative hoarding.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So winnner, our advice on your domain find is to put it to use or be ready to lose it!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In that sense, yes. You can't compare .biz to .com since .com is for the layman and speculators and .biz is meant for serious businesses.

There is, in short, no resale value for the .biz domain name. But plenty of opportunities if you sell a business opportunity in which .biz is part of the package.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
In that sense, yes. You can't compare .biz to .com since .com is for the layman and speculators and .biz is meant for serious businesses.

Mole, with all due respect, "SERIOUS BUSINESSES" ?
name one such serious business that has a biz extension instead of a .com or net

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Nic,

Missed your post entirely until now.

Sure, try http://www.digitaltrust.biz

Is that serious enough?:D

I'm not surprised that most people don't understand B2B as much as they do B2C. I'm referring to B2B, and that is a totally different ball game entirely. Credibility is everything in the B2B game, and random quality traffic, while nice, is not the only reason for a site's existence.

Originally posted by mole
You can't compare .biz to .com since .com is for the layman and speculators and .biz is meant for serious businesses.

:laugh:

Do you actually believe the things you post about the new tld's mole, or are they written in the same humor they are received in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom