Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

showcase My daily grab: If you can't build it, don't buy it.

This thread is intended for the original author and others to showcase specific types of domain names they own in the niche discussed.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a developer from a young age, I entered domain name investing by selecting names I can see developed into sites or businesses. I echo this sentiment time and time again as that has been the way to my success; though, your path may differ. This is just something to note and try to see if it works for you.

After our Company meeting last night, I was feeling good and waltzed on over to DropCatch where I thought I had filtered out Private Sellers. I do this because I don't feel as these are as transparent as they can be, having the thought of being shilled when placing bids many times before, going as far as contacting previous owners of failed auctions with reasonable prices to not be heard back.

Though, last night was, different—I forgot to do this and thought that I was bidding on Pre-Release/Dropped only. Mind you, by the time our meeting is over, it's around 2 in the morning here in Japan; that's when I am more on personal time to get in my swing trades in both the stock market and crypto as well as domain purchases.

I saw Str\ess Cu\bes com and immediately knew I wanted this name, but it was odd that it was $59 without bids? This is when I looked into my search and figured out my mistake.

Even though I think I've been bamboozled many times before with Private Sellers, I still wanted this name, and for as cheap as I could get it.

So what did any rational domain name investor do when put in this scenario? Snipe it, of course.

I placed a $59 bid at 5 minutes and 5 seconds to not alert anyone with an extended auction.

Five minutes, I was winning; four, I was winning; three, I was winning... This was odd, but I didn't want to keep my hopes up. At wo minutes, I was still winning and indeed got a little excited, especially in the last 60 seconds.

The last and longest minute passed. I finally came out a Victor at the lowest price possible on this name!

Now, you might be questioning my pick more than my strategy at this point. Why this name?

Well, with even 10 minutes of research you can find similar products for sale with the COG well below "MSRP". Additionally, I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I found a competitor that actually won a UDRP because someone was using their name (on an unoriginal product). This tells me there is money in this space, and so does their Kickstarter. Time to go get it!

There are many variations of their product, which is up for grabs to be relabeled and repacked too. Here's the cooler one I found:

View attachment stresscubes.mp4

Who wouldn't want one? 🤔

Good luck in your ventures!

Editorial Note: While their product is nothing original as it's merely repackaged with their branding, I won't be using theirs. There are plenty of other products, such as seen in the video above, that are fitting of this name. I would hate for someone to move into my product space and copy all the work that I have done, therefore I won't be doing the same and would discourage others from this hated eCom practice.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

WarpedMind

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with your approach @amplify. If fact, that's how I got into domaining... every domain I bought was from an idea and sincere desire to build out.

Unfortunately, those of us who get addicted tend to go crazy and buy more than we can build out! :p

My goal: Build one out. When it's profitable, use some of the profits to build out another and then another, etc.

It is a shame how many have great names and just let them sit there unused. I'm guilty of that as well, but I hope to change that over time.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with your approach @amplify. If fact, that's how I got into domaining... every domain I bought was from an idea and sincere desire to build out.

Unfortunately, those of us who get addicted tend to go crazy and buy more than we can build out! :p

My goal: Build one out. When it's profitable, use some of the profits to build out another and then another, etc.

It is a shame how many have great names and just let them sit there unused. I'm guilty of that as well, but I hope to change that over time.

You should build your best domains. 😄

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Profit margins?
You'd have the total Cost of Goods Sold which is the base price of that unit at that manufacturer. Then, you add the shipping/logistics price. Separating the two makes it kind of easier to handle because you can always change your supplier and your 3rd party shipper. Add in marketing if needed and everything above this (variable) price is the take home.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators