Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

My sever DIED. Need temp hosting space for a day or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I run a forum community with around 400,000 posts. My dedicated died & company working to refix, would like a temp space on someones server so I can display a message that they are working to fix the problem ASAP.

Let me know if you can do this! THX!

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Change DNS to:

NS1.ENGINEERS.NET
NS2.ENGINEERS.NET

Then email me the page and domain name: mail @ dalehubbard.com

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey azooza, THANK YOU but Acroplex has taken care of this for me!

My company sucks :(

" At this time it seems as though the very drive itself has failed to such a degree that it refuses to even power on or spin its discs. In such a state we are unable to recover any data from this drive if it refuses to even power on."

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's good of Acro. I thought he might be the first one to help you. Are you saying that your entire forum and database are on this drive, and you have no backup?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a sql backup, but I feel it might be corrupt since previous backups months before this one were x2 larger then this one..

I did have backups on a /backup but thats no good eh?.sine its on the same dad blame sever

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get them to FedEx the drive to you. Just because it won't power up doesn't mean the platters or heads are kaput. It could well be a failure on the PCB in the drive. Then I'd take it to a geeky private computer store and ask if there's anyone there who can open an HD and check the circuitry. Best of luck Duncan.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But what if I am leasing it and it ain't my machine?.. (But I have visited the datacenter in person before & was shown the leased machine lol) GNAX

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a dead drive as far as they are concerned, so why wouldn't they let you have it? It's dedicated so there's no issue of data privacy is there? Just ask them Duncan.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We can definitely do that. However, you would be responsible for the price of the drive and the shipping cost to get it to you. If that is something you would like to do, let us know and we will be sure to get it to you.

The drive will be returned to the manufacturer for replacement under warranty. If you want the drive, you would need to pay for the cost of the drive and related shipping charges.

- Jason D.
Executive Manager

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There you go. They have a bloody nerve to ask for the price of the drive; but now you have to decide if this expense is worth it, with no guarantee of succcess. Best of luck! If it was *me*, I'd go for it, if it meant I lose 400,000 posts. Oh and next time, be sure to use RAID 1.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I asked if the manufacturer had any liablity in this case?... I've been a client here for 2+years

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a sql backup, but I feel it might be corrupt since previous backups months before this one were x2 larger then this one..

I did have backups on a /backup but thats no good eh?.sine its on the same dad blame sever

Usually backups are done on a separate drive. I'd ask them to restore your site from your /backups drive.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usually backups are done on a separate drive. I'd ask them to restore your site from your /backups drive.

I think it was on the same drive tho

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it was on the same drive tho

It's worth confirming that it was on the same drive though.

So you're saying you have a recent SQL backup, and some larger, older SQL backups? If the newer one is corrupt, it might still be possible to merge the delta of the two files, especially if they're primary indexed.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BY THEM

Andy,

I can understand that you are upset regarding the loss of your data, and we do care - that is why we are providing the replacement drive and OS reload free of charge, instead of charging for them which we ordinarily would do.

It is unreasonable to expect us to ship this to a Clean Room service and have the drive repaired at our cost - however, we would be more than willing to send this drive in. Both the expense for shipping and the cost of the repair would have to be covered by you.

I'm not quite sure if we'd make the suggestion previously, but I would highly recommend investing in the additional cost for a backup drive. This would ensure that you data is safe and secure in the future.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, comments or concerns.

- Jeremy D.
Acenet Technician

BY ME

Charging to install another drive when your first drive was "crap"? Are you kidding?.. if you did such I would be out the door of your company after 2 years INSTANTLY - even knowing that your company ORDINARELY undertakes such practices scares the living $hit out of me, but instead I take the time to ponder & debate what you offer that theplanet.com doesnt offer for less.. and I can't find it other then I don't like change and everything has been "fair" up to this point!

How much would a backup drive cost?.. Let me guess.. "$5,000?"?.. $1K for the drive, $2K to install it, $1K for you to ship it to the facility in GNAX, and another grand just incase that 1's crap also?

This is a business & when all of your customers leave .. well i guess there is no more business. The ultimate goal is to make the customer happy, and you have failed to such a degree that I am sick as hell that my data I have taken such pride in as being secured by your company is GONE.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They said

"You've also since filed a BBB complaint with false claims against Acenet. "

FALSE CLAIMS? All I sent BBB was that they refused to recover a failed hard-drive at their expense.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan, don't get all ethereal on them! I told you to ask them to send the HD to you. They have no responsibility other than that, sh** happens.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, your complaint is one of the most outrageous complaints I've ever read. You don't have to be a data storage guru to know all hard drives will eventually fail. Moreover, to lease a dedicated server with a single hard drive and assume you have backup protection is unreasonable. You admit, your ignorance caused you to lose data. Yet, you are angry because Acenet will not eat a huge financial loss. I feel bad for you, I really do. I’ve been there; I know how you feel. However, Acenet did not cause this – you can only blame your own ignorance.

...?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is this a sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom