Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld MYiD's big reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great domain but the market it's in is so oversaturated and heavily dominated by a few major players. Unless you have major development cash on hand and a great business plan for it you may have trouble making your dough back beyond flipping it again. Now of course if an existing heavyweight picks it up for marketing purposes and the such... ;)

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are two major domains in this market, the singular and the plural. Everything else is second class.

The plural is already gone and so this is the ONLY one left. Accordingly, the sky is the limit as to what it may bring.

Prestige and branding will make this domain extremely appealing for many many parties, all being end users. This is not targetted at resellers. What a domain means to an end users is not within the realm of the resellers and reresellers (Those that aim to sell to resellers).

There are many major players in this market and all established ones would kill for this domain.

MyID has many of these companies already on board and if the others are reached, it's anyone's guess of how much this domain may fetch. I would expect this to easily go for $xxx,xxx unless all players have serious cash shortage and that's something I doubt to be the case. Remember there was no bidding war on the plural and so it may have actually gone cheaply. Again it's anyone's guess what the end price will be.

I just checked and the reserve is marked at above $50k which does not tell much. It could be $50001 or $500k. So we may see for example a $400k bid and reserve still not met.

This will be an extremely interesting auction to watch and I surely hope this domain breaks all records. The domain market has taken a huge plunge with the economy and such sales may end up jumpstarting a recovery.

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think its hilarious that people have such a hardon for JOB related domains. I think people who follow this path have a sever case of lemming syndrome.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bet it will make reserve but beyond that I do not believe resellers will tae interest much beyond that tbh. I have now sold publicly and privately very strong keywords at and far beyond this level, just speaking from experience.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, this is not really targeted at resellers. This one is for the main end users. So my prediction is that the domain will either sell for $xxx,xxx to an end user or will not sell at all. I doubt any resellers would even bother to bid. This will probably end up as the most anticipated sale of the year. I surely hope it sells and that it sells big.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... Remember there was no bidding war on the plural and so it may have actually gone cheaply. Again it's anyone's guess what the end price will be...

There was no public bidding war, but lets just say there were various interested parties in the mix and it really came down to two final bidders in the end... with the winner offering the best payment timetable (immediate).

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, this is not really targeted at resellers. This one is for the main end users. So my prediction is that the domain will either sell for $xxx,xxx to an end user or will not sell at all. I doubt any resellers would even bother to bid. This will probably end up as the most anticipated sale of the year. I surely hope it sells and that it sells big.

Not quite, you have been away a while ;)

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There was no public bidding war, but lets just say there were various interested parties in the mix and it really came down to two final bidders in the end... with the winner offering the best payment timetable (immediate).

Thanks Shaun for the info. Would you label these interested parties as all the major players in the canadian job market?

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Shaun for the info. Would you label these interested parties as all the major players in the canadian job market?

lionfish. I can say that in the final two, the loser was one of the top online Canadian job boards.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Shaun.

I guess with the new info, this domain odds can be summarized as:

A) Going for it:

a) It is a top notch undisputable fab domain for what it represents. It has the appeal and the vanity factor. I am sure it is desired and wanted and would be 'must have' for those that have the means. Among the main players in this market, if two have enough cash on hand, the sky remains the limit to what the end price may be.

b) It is the second of the top two domains in this market and while it surely is number 2, number 1 is long gone and so it is the ONLY one remaining for grabs. No other name even comes close. There is really no competition here.

c) Last year related sales from acquisitions, TBR, and myid auctions will place this one in the $xxx,xxx for sure. The french version of the plural went for $56k in TBR and CV went for $54k. This domain is in a whole different class than both these two.

B) Going against it:

a) The economy is really bad. Some of the potentially interested players may not have enough cash on hand (MyID auctions is a cash only auction so I am not sure whether a payment plan is even an option which seems to be what some have considered last year) and banks are not extending credit as easily as they were doing last year.

b) The top value has been set by last year sale of the plural. I believe it is extremely unlikely that this domain will surpass that unless again, one really really wants it.

c) It likely does not have the same amount of traffic that the plural had upon acquisition and that was factored in the purchase.

So based on the above, my bet would be that if the domain sells, the sale price will be in the low to mid $xxx,xxx and the main factor would remain directly related to the amount of cash available for those interested.

Last edited:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If a large job finding site bids, it may go to $200K, but it would really be worth about $50K, ±10%.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think a very important question to ask all those that think job.ca is worth $xx,xxx is : Would you have paid $600k for the plural? Would you have paid $54k for cv.ca? Even more importantly would you have predicted that any of these domains will fetch the price they did?

The reseller selling to reseller mentality is not applicable here. This domain is not targetted at resellers. Right now the reserve shows as above $100k so again all this talk about what a reseller believes the domain is worth is really completely irrelevant and quite naive. The owner of this domain is not looking to sell this domain to a reseller at 10% of value so that that reseller flips to another for 20% of value. I understand that resellers hang in here and so in a way it is understood why this obsession with reseller prices. However, based on the history of sales on MyID auction, I would expect end users to show up. If they do and they have the cash, I expect the domain to fetch low to mid $xxx,xxx and if they don't domain will not get sold.

By the way...I define low $xxx,xxx as $100k to $300k and mid $xxx,xxx as $301k to $700k. Others may define these values differently so I thought I clarify. I really hope this fantastic domain gets sold and that it fetches the great price it surely deserves. It would only translate positively on the .ca domain value and boost the value of premiums. The more the general public is aware of big sales, the more likely it is that the next buyer will not faint when we tell them how much we want for our premium domains :smilewinkgrin:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's quit the rambling on what we think it will go for...and just watch what it sells for or doesn't sell for.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's quit the rambling on what we think it will go for...and just watch what it sells for or doesn't sell for.

I agree, on with the show :yo:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
250k-300k reserve....you gotta be kidding me!!!

these names are all over priced....myid is trying to get into this business by selling premium names...the unfortunate part is they are accepting ridiculous reserves.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a fair amount of decent names in the auction and I think it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. It should say a lot about the state of the .ca space.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You probably won't see how it shakes out, once it's done you never hear about it again. No sales report nothing.

BTW ShaunP, Kelowna.com is a super great looking site.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
250k-300k reserve....you gotta be kidding me!!!

these names are all over priced....myid is trying to get into this business by selling premium names...the unfortunate part is they are accepting ridiculous reserves.

What has a reserve of $250k+ ?

How is the job.ca auction going?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I logged into the auction last nice expecting to see how names were doing, but forgot no bids are shown. Seeing now how the new system works really kills the atmosphere IMO. Seeing names with bids gives a live auction feeling, that something is happening. Seeing just a list of names with reserves is like looking at a pre-auction list. It's a good system for serious buyers who are targetting names, but not so good for auction atmosphere and perhaps pulling more bidders in on emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators