Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed MyWWW.ws

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of the top 100 sites, or the top 500 sites, about 20% to 25% are ccTLD URLs. .kr, .jp, .de., .co..uk are all well represented, as well as others. I expect .us to break into that top 500 and 100 also!

http://www.got.us

M

mole

Yup, Joe. .com was created in 1985 by a bunch of internet geeks to bring this resource to life for future applications. To find out more, check out Ruling The Root by Milton Mueller. You can get this at Amazon.com. ICANN was formed to disperse the overheating of addressing that resulted when the world realised how powerful the internet had become as a result of evolving technology.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing you need to do when accessing (current or future) values of domains is to first take off your speculation hat. In doing that you will get a clearer picture of where names will be in 2 or 3 years down the road.....izopod takes off hat.

Com's current value comes from it being the "first thought off". If you told someone to go to DNForum...without giving an extension, they'd most likely type in the com version (at this moment in time). End of point. To argue that .net is next, then .info, then blah, blah is futile. Some of the 'net's and info's and biz's do get some natural type-ins if they are ultra generic, but essentially these names all have to duke it out into the SE's.

The advantage that .biz and .info have over .net is that they really haven't been branded yet, as it they are so new. Both TLDs will over the course of the next few years will be branded either positively or negatively. .Net has been branded negatively whether you like it or not. That is a fact. Also just because Microsoft likes something doesn't mean that everyone else likes it. If you go through the WHOIS companies are letting their dot net's go. Some are buying .biz and .info to give them a try. For the reason stated above. They haven't (as of yet) been branded positively or negative. Time will tell.

One thing that I look for is what edge do dot biz/.info have. Dot info is a no brainer for SOME domains. Those domains (travel/landmarks) will be of great value. It's most likely full-time "job" will be to promote causes, specific products, events, etc, etc. Biz is synonomous with "business". No one can dispute that. So the next question is who will use these domains. Ah...businesses??? What percent of the web sites are business as opposed to just info....I am guessing but I would say at least 70%. What other benefits will biz have. According to Neulevel, they have a product coming out that will give "businesses" an edge in the SE's....Hmmm....70% of businesses on the internet....The name is synonmous with "business"....Neulevel is going to give it an edge...and ICANN most likely will not come out with another com or .biz type name....I would say biz will do extremely well, if you put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

The million dollar question will .com always be king? No one knows, or can say FOR SURE. TO say com will always be king is like saying the patent office must close because there is nothing left to patent.

Last thought: "Marketing" is driving the internet at the moment--hence the need to use dot com (.biz/.info are too new), and I have a good feeling "Marketing" will drive the future of the internet. You can answer some of your own "dot com will be king" questions if you look at where Marketing will be in two to three years. side note: Not to forget Dot us but IT will take hold in the US...give it time, for the reasons outlined above. National identity will drive the marketing for the domain. Oooh...there is that million dollar word: "Marketing".

izopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators