Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Namejet Unauthorized Backorders

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen before:

A few days ago I receive an e-mail that a domain name that I previously backordered is in auction. Which is a typical email you get from namejet. Except in this case, it's for a SIX NUMBER .com that I never ordered. Apparently it was backordered by me in january! I've never purchased a 6 number domain in my life, or a 5 number for that matter, and never plan to. There were 12 other bidders on the domain name that backordered it after me. But I was the first one, so I won the auction with a $69 bid.

Now there is maybe a .1% chance I could make a mistake like this but the thing is, this happened before. During december 2012, I also got entered into an auction for the domain name 8qt.com. Which is a good name, but the starting bid was $500? I initially thought, i could have done this by accident, and I took the blame for it. Namejet was nice enough to refund the payment.

However, now I'm convinced something is going on at their end. I always double check my backorders before placing them, and there is absolutely no way I could have ordered a six number .com.

Did this ever happen to anyone else at Namejet? I'm still waiting on their response. It's only $69, but that doesn't mean I'll let it slide.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's odd. Never heard of this before.

Are you using a mobile device by any chance or is this via a PC.

Stupid thought but maybe you accidentally touched a domain and added it as a backorder.

It sounds pretty unlikely though.

Unless someone has access to your account (change you password) this seems odd.

Skinny

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have received a refund, but how the backorders were placed, remains a mystery. If anyone has encountered the same issues please post, or if I encounter it ever again, I'll let you guys know.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've won back orders for domains I back ordered in the past an lost and then won them the next time they dropped, is this the case?

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you ever bulk added domains to the backorder list?

NameJet's bulk backorder system has bugs. It adds weird domains when you add more than 1,000 domains at a time.

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Rockefeller,

No I never ordered this domain name. I can assure you 5/6 number domains are not my cup of tea.

@silentg,

I don't think it was on a bulk backorder, even if it was, I go through every single domain name and price entered to make sure I have it right. As these mistakes can be time consuming and quite costly. So I'm convinced it was something on their end. Perhaps it was a bug, as you say.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Somehow - whether you recall it or not - the domain was added as a backorder the first time around. When you enter an auction for a non-expired domain (a private sale) the seller might have set a reserve.

When it ends unsold and the seller resubmits the domain, those that participated the first time, are added again. That's why you should never place a bid higher than $69 when backordering a domain, even if at the time you joined the top bid is e.g. $500 ;) Anyone can remove themselves after the domain fails to sell the first time, and so can you; if you forget to do so, you might end up being the top bidder.

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well Theo, what I'm saying is that this happened twice. The first time around I thought maybe I backordered it, because I do backorder CCC.coms ocassionally. But I thought maybe just at the wrong price. But this time, i was entered into an auction for a 6 number .com! Needless to say, I am certain that I did not order it.

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me 7 months after the original auction had ended, I suggest everyone delete all previous backorders. I called and asked them to remove me from the auction, but they said they could not and they closed my account.

Somehow - whether you recall it or not - the domain was added as a backorder the first time around. When you enter an auction for a non-expired domain (a private sale) the seller might have set a reserve.

When it ends unsold and the seller resubmits the domain, those that participated the first time, are added again. That's why you should never place a bid higher than $69 when backordering a domain, even if at the time you joined the top bid is e.g. $500 ;) Anyone can remove themselves after the domain fails to sell the first time, and so can you; if you forget to do so, you might end up being the top bidder.

Last edited:

Stranger

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have the same experience as untitled to "Won" wired domains at $69 for 2 or 3 times by namejet's mysterious system. What a stupid that I never write to them ask for a refund

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this happened to me when they changed their site a few months back.
they refunded all 20 or so names, they've been pretty helpful in this area, I assume it happens all the time and to others.
They never questioned it just refunded.
but for me it was weird names like wierd-domain22.org or something2crazy2.info

Last edited:

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This happened to me years ago. At first I thought I may have made a stupid mistake, but then it got nuts like usjdfjei.com or something. They did NOT refund the payment and swore that I added it to my list which was nonsense. I review my list and there IS all kinds of garbage on it I never added or heard of. They finally fixed it, and I never had another problem but it sounds exactly like what you are seeing now.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom