Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Nano.ws

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
... Yes the .ws "kills" it, but...

Yes, it does.
$0.00, but I think you already knew that! :eek:
Good Luck.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
definitely not $0!
nano.com, net etc all taken and would not sell for cheap, so nano.ws is the best alternative -and nanotech is as you said a new "hot" developing technology
i think a keeper especially since .ws **OFFICIALLY** stands for Web Site

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sandra
definitely not $0!
nano.com, net etc all taken and would not sell for cheap, so nano.ws is the best alternative -and nanotech is as you said a new "hot" developing technology

What have you been smoking Sandra? :)

.ws most assuredly does NOT officially stand for website. It stands for Western Samoa, the country for which .ws is the ICANN country code. The "web site" nonsense is a marketing gimmick meant to con unsophisticated buyers into parting with their money.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
definitely not $0!

Thanks Sandra. Nano is definitely not just an American technology. A lot of European companies are working on similiar projects. From what I've seen, Europe uses many different URL extensions to promote their businesses, etc. Therefore a .WS wouldn't necessarily be a "bad" thing for an Upstart Nano company based in Europe.

btw: when someone says "$0.00". I don't necessarily take it as an insult. I think it's more in line what "they" would pay for the name.

Anyways... Welcome to DNF sandra if we already haven't.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

I don't care, but you better pass some along my way :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Izopodian Moc-tuk... It's a wicked mix ya know! :D

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"One of the most recognizable ccTLD's today is .WS with customers in over 180 countries. Global Domains International, the official registry for .WS "Web Site" domains, was just named in Inc. Magazine's "Inc 500 List for 2002": America's Fastest Growing Private Companies. GDI ranked #37 (Thirty-Seven!) out of 500 for the USA nationally, and #5in the state of California! .WS means Web Site and with over 80% availability your customers will get an easy to remember domain name and finally get the name they really want! " website.ws

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"One of the most recognizable ccTLD's today is .WS with customers in over 180 countries. Global Domains International, the official registry for .WS "Web Site" domains, was just named in Inc. Magazine's "Inc 500 List for 2002": America's Fastest Growing Private Companies. GDI ranked #37 (Thirty-Seven!) out of 500 for the USA nationally, and #5in the state of California! .WS means Web Site and with over 80% availability your customers will get an easy to remember domain name and finally get the name they really want! " website.ws

Sandra you must have been born yesterday! You have just quoted the marketing HYPE from GDI. Do you believe every advertisment you read? As I said, this is a bogus claim meant to separate newbies from their money (and unfortunately it occasionally works as you are illustrating).

.WS means Western Samoa. ICANN determines the official meaning of domain extensions NOT Global Domains International! This is COMMON knowledge. Even Izopod knows it. He still bought the domain and I have no problem with that. At least he understood what he is buying. The suckers who think they are buying something that officially means "website" are the ones I feel sorry for. It should be illegal for GDI and others who are falsely marketing these country codes in this way to do so.

When another newbie learned this in this forum recently he was extremely upset and felt he had been taken by the registrar who had advertised that it meant website. He was right to feel taken - because that is exactly what happened to him due to this continuing phony representation of what the customer is buying. Once they buy it they find there is no way to get their money back as there is virtually no aftermarket for these domains.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The suckers who think they are buying something that officially means "website" are the ones I feel sorry for.

Those phd's are all suckers!! :laugh: (no offense dome only kidding)

http://www.nanoventures.ws/
http://www.ultrasound.ws/

Duke... I do think "some" people got "snowed" on .ws. Those who bought "average" .ws names. What I bought was a keyword. Not an extension! ;) At a pretty cheap price I might add.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I said Izopod, at least you knew what your were getting and I wish you good luck with it. My problem is with the false marketing of these country code domains to people who do not know any better and buy them thinking they are getting something they are not getting at all.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GDI has a 12 year exclusive contract to the .ws extension, which is owned by Western Samoa, to whom GDI pays a commission per registration.

Of course, .ws was assigned by ICANN as the country code for Western Samoa, but because of Western Samoa's limited use of the extension and the demand for another internationally recognized extension, .ws was identified as the most suitable alternative to .com, and to stand for Web Site.

The Western Samoan government agreed to this.
So as far as I care, .ws stands for Web Site, for at least the next 12 years anyway!
You, being old school and all, I understand this is hard for you to accept.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Yeh, Duke ... get with the times, pal! :eek: :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey I just thought of a new "marketing" angle for .ws:

WS=Work Shop

nano.ws = Nano Workshopâ„¢ he..he.heh

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The only thing hard for me to accept is that there are actually people who are gullible enough to fall for this load of marketing crap. Obviously P.T. Barnum was correct when he said "There is a sucker born every minute". :)

Come to think of it, you could have "sucker" tattooed on your forehead for about the same price as a .WS registration. Both send the world the same message, but at least one will actually have people looking at it (that would be the tattoo, not the website). :)

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would take Nano.ws for $20 anytime, so "$0.00" appraisal is already proven to be wrong. :)

Btw - its totally unimportant what .ws *actually* stands for (western samoa); if for most endusers, surfers etc it means "website" or they market it like that, then it means "website".

Like, we all know since stoneage that .com *actually* stood for "commercial" but who cares nowadays?

Also, we all know .tv doesnt mean "television", still most endusers take it as that and lots of companies are using .tv for television related sites.

Dont mean to say .ws is a good extension by any means, just saying i guess domainers are the only people left that still care about what an extension originally meant while the rest of the world doesnt give shi*.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well said Beatz, I agree 100% :)

Mike

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
Hey I just thought of a new "marketing" angle for .ws:

WS=Work Shop

nano.ws = Nano Workshopâ„¢ he..he.heh

What about welcome sucker ....

schmidte

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The only thing hard for me to accept is that there are actually people who are gullible enough to fall for this load of marketing crap. Obviously P.T. Barnum was correct when he said "There is a sucker born every minute". :)

Here's your first two suckers:

Register.com has .ws as standing for "website"

and

Networksolutions.com has it as:"Western Samoa (Web Site)"

nano.ws = Nano Workshop (or website), I like it.... $50 plus another $5 for creativity=$55

ED

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom