Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need help acquiring domain from owner using our name.

ndnflyr

Reaction score
New to the group. Looking for information about acquiring a domain that uses our name but they refuse to give it up. Not sure what laws there are governing use but here is my dilemma. I am on the BOD of a small privately owned public airport (nonprofit). The airport name we will call Big Lake Airport for the sake of anonymity. Another member of the board acquired the domain name and anything close to the domain name such as biglake.com biglakeairport.com biglakeairport.net biglake.net flybiglake .com you get the idea. He acquired these domains 15 - 20 years ago and refuses to give them up or sell them. He does own and rent hangars at the airport and he says he will maintain a page for airport business. He actually says it is the airports website but he owns it and will not give anybody else access. It is not maintained nor up to date. Is there a way we can legally require him to relinquish ownership since it is our name he is using?

Domain summit 2024

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a process for arbitration for when your IP has been infringed upon named WIPO. But its not free (1500 USD minimum) and since you are not well versed in the industry you will probably also need to retain a lawyer.

Your strongest card in this regard is probably your statement of "He actually says it is the airports website"... Which would indicate that he acknowledges your rights to the name.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/

I can be of more help if you are willing to share the pertinent details in private.

ndnflyr

Reaction score
There is a process for arbitration for when your IP has been infringed upon named WIPO. But its not free (1500 USD minimum) and since you are not well versed in the industry you will probably also need to retain a lawyer.

Your strongest card in this regard is probably your statement of "He actually says it is the airports website"... Which would indicate that he acknowledges your rights to the name.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domai

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/

I can be of more help if you are willing to share the pertinent details in private.
Yes I would like to discuss it in private. My correct email does not come up on this computer when I try to email you so you will have to contact me. DNforums has correct email
Thankyou

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
New to the group. Looking for information about acquiring a domain that uses our name but they refuse to give it up. Not sure what laws there are governing use but here is my dilemma. I am on the BOD of a small privately owned public airport (nonprofit). The airport name we will call Big Lake Airport for the sake of anonymity. Another member of the board acquired the domain name and anything close to the domain name such as biglake.com biglakeairport.com biglakeairport.net biglake.net flybiglake .com you get the idea. He acquired these domains 15 - 20 years ago and refuses to give them up or sell them. He does own and rent hangars at the airport and he says he will maintain a page for airport business. He actually says it is the airports website but he owns it and will not give anybody else access. It is not maintained nor up to date. Is there a way we can legally require him to relinquish ownership since it is our name he is using?

Hi

from reading I have a question or two

did he own the domains before the airport was built?

or
was the airport known by another name, when he bought the domains?

or

did he buy the domains and did he create the website for the airport?

if so, did he get paid for the domains and the website, by the airport BOD or authority?

who was managing the website and paying the renewals fee's for the domain?

just something to know before trying to pursue legal action.

imo...

MikeinFlorida

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These are very important questions that Biggie is bringing up. Here's another BIG question -- Why not just buy the domain name? Everyone has their price!

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As per the OP current owner refuses to sell them.

Reaction score
Did he own the domains before the airport was built?

Was the airport known by another name, when he bought the domains?

Why the current owner not selling ?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators