Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.net (Television.net - Russian IDN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
over

Last edited:

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
телевидение = "watching television" "watching the television" in that sense, if someone were to say "television" in russian the proper term would be телевизор
punycode = xn--b1afajepzqk.com

Not an exact translation of television, but your way would make more sense, because television is strictly television, yours means watching television, which would make more sense when typing it in, but it doesn't mean literally television.

-Susan

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I edited post above.....however, when you say television in english, people obviously would get the idea that it means tevlevision set, not "broadcast technology" that's why posts on IDN's should be made clear.

I speak russian, and when someone says how do you say television, the proper definition would be телевизор, now if someone were to say how do you say, broadcast etc.... then yes proper term would be телевидение, however, in the thread title it says TELEVISION.NET, and that is not what
телевидение means.

Named said:
телевизор means "television set", the physical hardware device.
телевидение is the correct term for television, the broadcast technology.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey,

It's really hard with these IDN's and it doesn't literally mean television, like you would think in english, it's kinda hard to explain but I will try.

телевидение = if someone were to say I was watching the news online, or over the internet, then they would say телевидение, but when I read your thread with Television.net people automatically will assume that телевидение means "television set" the actual T.V hardware, when infact it doesnt.

Hope it clears it up a little.

DomainNames said:
Wow, I didn't realize that.

Thank you very much.

I'm gonna change the details.

You guys are confusing me.

I did have somepeople look at it and it definitely means

Television

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So what should the title be? TelevisionBroadcastTechnology.net? :-D

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, hard to answer, not Russian, but speak the language well.

(I'm Macedonian) and the language is extremely similar (Slavic) and studied russian.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just think some of these posts can be misleading to those that don't understand the language at all, there should be somewhat of a background explination. Because by the thread topic, if I didn't know, I would think I was buying Television.net......again, it's really hard to explain.

DomainNames said:
I'm not saying it is television set

It is television

as in, the medium

Are you Russian?

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
television, often abbreviated TV
1. An electronic communication medium that allows the transmission of real-time visual images, and often sound.
2. A device for receiving television signals and displaying them in visual form.
3. Collectively, the programs broadcast via the medium of television.

Телевидение means 1 and 3.

Therefore, the translation is correct. By default, the word television in English means the technology and not the device. When English speakers want to make it clear that they are talking about the "television set", they add the word "set", or it is clear from context.

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never said that,

I just think in peoples posts they should explain what it means for the people that cant speak the language.

For example, the person that sold Tokyo.net, let's just say that the meaning behind it was "City of Tokyo".net for someone like me that has no clue of the Japanese language, I would think I was buying the actual "tokyo.net" domain, so all I'm saying is that even though your thread title says Television.net, it your summary you should have a little background info on what the actual translation means, for the people that don't know.

Tokyo.net was just an example.

touchring said:
So what should the title be? TelevisionBroadcastTechnology.net? :)

Dnforumadmin

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok sure,

I guess I'm not making myself clear.

I don't need a definition of what television means, I really can speak the english language and do know what it means.

ALL i'm saying is that, if someone didn't speak the russian language, they would think they are getting the actual translation of telvision, which in english is a pretty damn great domain. It's like someone telling you they have television.com for sale, and then in reality its' televisionboradcast.com, would it still have the same value to you?

Again, I'm not ARGUING with anyone here, nor do I need dictionary translations, I just think people should be clear when selling IDN's.

'Cause I can guarantee you, for the people that don't speak russian, and saw this post, the first thing they thought is that they are getting Television.net as in the television set you have at home, and not "television broadcast"

Named said:
television, often abbreviated TV
1. An electronic communication medium that allows the transmission of real-time visual images, and often sound.
2. A device for receiving television signals and displaying them in visual form.
3. Collectively, the programs broadcast via the medium of television.

Телевидение means 1 and 2.

Therefore, the translation is correct. By default, the word television in English means the technology and not the device. When English speakers want to make it clear that they are talking about the "television set", they add the word "set", or it is clear from context.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see your point. What is more valuable? A "tv set", or the broadcast technology, which is going to be called "television" no matter if you watch it on the old "TV set", or on my new iPod or "HD projection system"?

This is a valuable domain. Period.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
over

Last edited:

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators