Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Never trust a domainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, when a domain is relevant in your mind, you become obsessed with it, in a day or two you will be onto the next idea. I get the same way sometimes, a week after the purchase I forget I even own it anymore. Just the name of the game, plenty of keywords out there.

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just had an update from the seller, he partly wrote -

"There seems to be a flurry of interested parties from everywhere suddenly & I'm not sure what the domain will fetch in the end."

Lol, I bet it is everyone from this forum who is saying the domain is rubbish

I'd bet the seller of the domain is on this forum!

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who knows what's really going on ...

I'd trust 50% of domainers. But the trouble is, I don't know which 50%.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ mrcurly

Its bad if one of your friends tried to beat you to a valuable domain, but since you announced the purchase of DataPros (co.uk) on the Big Data thread at NamePros a few days before you must consider the fact that perhaps some people other than your friends could have become interested in inquiring about the .com version once they saw all the favorable comments that you got about your DataPros (co.uk) .

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You'd be doing the person a great injustice by disclosing his/her name since many domainers here would do the same thing, that is IF the domain is worth it.

I don't understand why you would disclose the name to anyone, I myself keep my acquisitions private, not just because I distrust people but because if anything goes wrong and it's bought out from under me, I cant point fingers at anyone and it erases all doubt.. The only time you want to tell someone is when you want to find out who your friends are, giving them a little bait and see if they take it.

mrcurly

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, when a domain is relevant in your mind, you become obsessed with it, in a day or two you will be onto the next idea. I get the same way sometimes, a week after the purchase I forget I even own it anymore. Just the name of the game, plenty of keywords out there.

I already have moved on, I have a list of 4 domains on my target and just snapped one of them up for next to nothing!

And before anyone asks, no Im not sharing the info, lol , you are not my friends! I need only me! :)

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont take this wrong, I know I dont know the truth,..

But something just feels like a shill here. Ya know?

mrcurly

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont take this wrong, I know I dont know the truth,..

But something just feels like a shill here. Ya know?

It would be great if I have made all this up and really I own the domain , wouldn't it, I have thought this too!

Might be a good plan for the future!

Remember, never trust a domainer!!!

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, i hope you are NOT the owner of datapros.com who is try to get people to bid by making up this story??

OR

You are part owner trying to get it sold????

OR

If you call yourself domainer, YOU NEVER Go tell someone what are you going to buy, UNTIL you secure the domain!

So you are NOT domainer or dont employ those traits.

mrcurly

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ SIKHboy

I am happy for you to think what you like.

I am not going to defend myself anymore, no need.

The truth is out there.......

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a recent Master Sergeant retire from the Marine Corps. He is getting a tattoo on the side of the MSgt insignia. There are three ^ up and v 3 down. The top one, as an innocent PFC, you trust everyone-- but as you advance to the 3rd down (MSgt), you trust no one. Just something to relate to your story that it takes 25 years to realize this about humans.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line: do not announce your purchases until they are completed, and the domain secure in your account (and past redeeming period of course).

You say closest friends, but have you ever met them in person, or are they just fellow domainers you know online and thought they were your friends ? Big difference.
I have many friends online, and few friends offline. But I know which of the two I can trust the most.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ mrcurly

Its bad if one of your friends tried to beat you to a valuable domain, but since you announced the purchase of DataPros (co.uk) on the Big Data thread at NamePros a few days before you must consider the fact that perhaps some people other than your friends could have become interested in inquiring about the .com version once they saw all the favorable comments that you got about your DataPros (co.uk) .

the way i see it, that's what this thread, is really about

last time i made a statement, folks didn't see

if you don't see now, you'll always get wool pulled over your eyes.

imo...

mrcurly

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the way i see it, that's what this thread, is really about

last time i made a statement, folks didn't see

if you don't see now, you'll always get wool pulled over your eyes.

imo...

I posted that I owned the .co.uk over 9 days ago and the day I am to complete the sale on the .com a secret offer comes in, coincidence? maybe? maybe not?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In other news: my offer to buy CNN.com was turned down, after a few seconds of negotiation. I am mighty pissed!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I posted that I owned the .co.uk over 9 days ago and the day I am to complete the sale on the .com a secret offer comes in, coincidence? maybe? maybe not?

there is no friggin conspiracy, you posted your name to see what others thought and since it wasn't a .com, those who liked it may have went after the .com

had you kept your name secret, then there would have been no secret offers made for the .com

so, imo...the title of this thread is misleading.

mrcurly

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there is no friggin conspiracy, you posted your name to see what others thought and since it wasn't a .com, those who liked it may have went after the .com

had you kept your name secret, then there would have been no secret offers made for the .com

so, imo...the title of this thread is misleading.

lol, FBI again!

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bottom line: do not announce your purchases until they are completed, and the domain secure in your account (and past redeeming period of course).

You say closest friends, but have you ever met them in person, or are they just fellow domainers you know online and thought they were your friends ? Big difference.
I have many friends online, and few friends offline. But I know which of the two I can trust the most.

I agree that you should not publicly announce the domain that you are considering to purchase until the deal is completed. But if you ask for advice from one of your Close Friends about the purchase of a domain and your friend goes behind your back and tries to buy that domain for himself then there is something definitely wrong there. (assuming that your friend actually tried to do that)

For the sake of the members on this forum and the domain Industry as a whole perhaps we should try to define whom you can consider to be your Close Friend and what ethics apply to them.

In my opinion if someone has personally helped you along the way to improve the quality of your portfolio by showing you how to find better domain names or that has pushed a domain to you and let you pay for it later then that person has proved to be your friend (at least when it comes to domaining), otherwise no matter how long you have known someone you should always assume that they are going to put their own interest above yours and thus you can only trust them to a certain degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom