Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed new member question

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I'm relatively new to the domain name area however I do have a question if anyone can help.

After browsing way too many web sites and auction boards etc etc I've noticed a large number of 2 & 3 word domain names asking for what seems to be inflated prices.

Some names come to mind as www.dotcom****.com . Replace the **** with whatever. Is there any resale value just if it has dotcom in front of it or does it just depend on what is placed after it.

Regards
Mike

Domain summit 2024

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mike

I think a name with the words dotcom followed by anotherword.com are fairly worthless from a resale point of view as they are confusing. Many people will just remember the last word and type that in followed by .com, thereby taking traffic away from the three-word version, along with all the branding and promotion $$ spent.

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ive also heard a lot about the overture.com keywords. what is considered a "worthwhile" response from that engine. Should it be above 10,000 ?

And finally, if I did a whois on a domain name and it expired 3 days ago, is it then available immediately for re-registration, or should I just try and reg it and see if it gets approved.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotcom
ive also heard a lot about the overture.com keywords. what is considered a "worthwhile" response from that engine. Should it be above 10,000 ?

Mike, I think it all depends on the target market the domain is related to. Sure it's nice to have names which hit 10k+ at Overture, but I'm happy to reg names with results in the low hundreds if they suit my needs.

And finally, if I did a whois on a domain name and it expired 3 days ago, is it then available immediately for re-registration, or should I just try and reg it and see if it gets approved.

It really depends on the registrar that the name is held with. With NetSol names - which is 40 percent of the market - you would probably be waiting at least 2-3 months before the name is deleted, on average. Some are much longer and run to as many as two years - while I've been lucky with some that dropped much sooner than 2-3 months.

Other registrars are given a 45 day grace period before the Verisign registry charges them another $6 for the name, and so you'll see names deleting around the 40-day mark.

In either case and if the name is good for you, you should place a SnapBack on it and also make a $20 bid on it at NameWinner.

flex

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotcom
hello all,

I'm relatively new to the domain name area however I do have a question if anyone can help.

After browsing way too many web sites and auction boards etc etc I've noticed a large number of 2 & 3 word domain names asking for what seems to be inflated prices.

Some names come to mind as www.dotcom****.com . Replace the **** with whatever. Is there any resale value just if it has dotcom in front of it or does it just depend on what is placed after it.

Regards
Mike

I doubt there is any resale value for either dotcom*.com/*dotcom.com

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok, i've done a litttle searching and came up with a few possabilities. Like I've said earlier, being new, would these type of ideas be a waste of money.

Thanks.

troubleshootingcomputers.com
reliablerecruitment.com
staffdatabase.com
hardwarecomputersales.com
gasandpetrol.com

In Australia, it costs me $49.95 for each registration, so it would be quite easy to pay out $250 for the above. Just so I know, what does anyone think of the above ideas.

All the above were available as per verisigns whois as of today.

Thanks

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First off, $49.95 is way way too much for a domain name - I'm assuming you're talking Aussie dollars, but GoDaddy.com has domains at US$8.95 and BulkRegister at $10 (if you get membership).

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're into selling computers, then hardwarecomputersales.com is marginally OK, although it's redundant given that computers are already hardware. I think you'd normally refer to it as being computer hardware sales too.

If you are in the employment area, then reliablerecruitment.com sounds good if you can develop a site around it. But check first for any trademark conflicts.

And also remember that posting available names in a public place like this could lead to someone else grabbing them, if they are good.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's a little note i wrote for newbies...

NEW DOMAIN INVESTORS BEWARE (2002):

If you are just getting into the domain name game, I would not try to register any available domains as all good names are surely gone. Buy a few good generic names from a reseller...then promote and develop these names and resell to a company for a profit (it helps if the names you purchase already have traffic)
Trying to make money off domains is not for everyone.
In fact, you can see thousands of people who lost money
for every one person who made money simply by browsing the
ebay Domain for Sale listings (or any domain auction site)
The fact that there are very few generic/good domain names left
makes it even harder for a newbie to experience short term profit.
Many people have lost more money registering names than
they've ever made selling them (i would guestimate about 90%)

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks alldig,

sounds like good advise to me.

while i am sure I will never lose $$ that I can't afford to spend in the first place, your comments are taken on board and appreciated.

thankyou

Mike

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike

Welcome - and I like your handle a lot, shows that you have promise :)

One thing we can all teach you is avaoiding the newbe mistakes we made, especialy our 1st few dozen domains.

Good luck

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike (alldig),

How come the middle paragraph in your post above is IDENTICAL word for word to what I posted in this thread?
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2643

While what I was saying wasn't particularly earth-shattering, it would be better not to claim that *you* wrote it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators