Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New Web Browser Choices: Which Is Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New Web Browser Choices: Which Is Best?
by Aaron Turpen

There are a myriad of choices in Web browsers nowadays. If you're still using Internet Explorer (IE), you're probably unaware of the other options available to you--which may be to your detriment.

I've reviewed the best alternatives to IE and have compiled my results below. The names haven't changed much since the last article I did on this subject two years ago, but the browsers themselves certainly have.

My (new) favorite of the group is Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser. It's available for free at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. This is the fastest, least-encumbered browser you can get. It's much safer than IE security-wise and is extremely modular, so you can ad only what you want to ad to the base browser for plug-ins and so forth. This means it stays lean and mean. It offers features that people who spend a lot of time surfing the Web demand: tabbed browsing, popup blocking, password keeping, and easy-to-use security features (like wiping your histories and caches). Highly recommended.

Internet Explorer still has its fans, though I can't figure out why. It's still considered the standard in Web browsing since it's what most users (who never change their PC's base configuration) are going online with. If you have Windows Service Pack 2 installed, then your IE now has popup blocking, but that's about all it has in the surfer's requirements area. It's very slow and hasn't been updated in quite some time. On top of all that, it's the #1 target for browser-based attacks from hackers and viruses. You can get IE at Microsoft by going to http://www.microsoft.com.

Netscape has a newer version and includes Sun Java 2, bringing the total download to a whopping 24 megabytes. While not as slow as IE, this seems to be the ultimate objective of Netscape…to get to be as big as IE and to make sure you are totally aware of other America Online and Netscape products… in that order. Skip this one if you know what's good for you. It's only marginally better than IE, but the download will kill it for most. http://www.netscape.com

My old favorite, Opera, has recently undergone another upgrade. It's still fast and has a lot of really awesome features, like built-in RSS feeding. The only problems I now have with Opera are its slower load times (coming in behind Firefox), hard-to-find configuration options, and the ads. While the ads aren't blocking your Web viewing, they are kind of annoying and cost $39 to get rid of (registration of the browser). Firefox and the others don't require this, making Opera the only non-free browser on my list. Still, Opera remains a Web junkie's dream, especially for developers. Tons of awesome features and well worth the download: http://www.opera.com.

There are literally hundreds of Web browsers out there, but the above are the big names. Again, I highly suggest scrapping Internet Explorer for either Firefox or Opera. You'll find your Web surfing faster, safer, and easier with these browsers.

About the Author
Aaron is the proprietor of Aaronz WebWorkz and publishes two weekly newsletters online: The Aaronz WebWorkz Weekly Newsletter and Aaronz Auction Newsletter. He is also the author of "The Layman's Handbook to Doing Business Online" from which this article is taken.

BigPete

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
even though Microsoft is working on IE7, I don't expect it to be any better (or more secure for that matter) than Firefox. I very highly suggest moving on to Firefox and joining the more than 72 Million folks who have already made the switch. BTW, Firefox is the only browser - i think - whose market share is increasing (almost 9% in the US and rising quickly) mostly at the expense of IE.

Firefox received PC World's "Product of the Year" for 2005 and is the number one rated web browser on CNet.com.

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I have too completely switched over to Firefox a wonderful browser. Let's wait and see what I.E 7 has to offer.

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi beanz i too got I.E 7 but it didn't impress me. Almost all browsers have tabbed browsing so that may be new for I.E but not for a browser :cheeky:

I think I.E even after 7 it is not worth it.

jeba

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I choose a web browser, I mainly look at 3 things:

1) Security

2) Useful features which make my web browsing experience easier.

3) Continual improvements to the software

Firefox excels over IE in all 3 fields.

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ofcourse Opera is also a worthy mention! A very innovative browser. But at the end of the day it is FF that takes me places (on web ;) )

Jeba

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good article but it;s time for an update... opera's free...

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read this article a week ago and finally decided to make the switch from IE to FF. Couldn't be any happier. Thanks for convincing me.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm using both IE and FF and can't be happier.:)

waqar

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i like IE because it is simple fast and nice. it is has less garfiz and simple skin so it spped is more then all others.

designsmaster

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good Article. My Choice when it comes to browser is always Internet Explorer

hwang

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Opera, my best choice.
I got rid of the ads, and it always load websites fast. It also has many options to customize.

mytopdomain

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I try to using opera and FF several time, but finally, I have back to IE, those two give me a impression is some complex application, but IE just exactly a browser...I like simple experiense, I expect to have IE7 soon on my tp..

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mytopdomain said:
I try to using opera and FF several time, but finally, I have back to IE, those two give me a impression is some complex application, but IE just exactly a browser...I like simple experiense, I expect to have IE7 soon on my tp..
WOW..??

I think firefox is the simplest to use. Just give it another serious try and u will get the hang of it. Once you are comfortable you will understand what you were about to miss :D

Jeba

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom