Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Nickalphavii

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm new to domain investing and would like to know How to research a domain name before i buy it
and if it has any value.

Nickalphavii

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OK thanks johnn i am on here 24/7 reading...:)

What does hand registered mean ?

Nickalphavii

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ooooh ok Thanks johnn this helped a lot

should i stay way from hand reg as a beginner and focus more on aged domain names?

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just always think quality, quality, quality whether you are buying a domain from someone else, or hand regging it for the first time.

As most good .com are registered, then the quality ones are likely to be regged, so identifying any of these that someone is offering for sale at a good price may be the best way to make money. It's a bit like antiques, buy quality and you have a chance of reselling well, buy rubbish and you can't give it away.

Nickalphavii

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
oooooh ok i understand thanks a lot accelerator and i have been doing a lot of reading and starting to get the idea....thanks again.

jdwaverly

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More about the value of a hand reg and why it's unlikely that you will find a valuable one:

Hang regs fall into 2 groups

A never registered domain
No one has EVER thought of the wonderful idea you have for your domain. You are either a genius, or your idea has no value. Which do you think is more likely?

A domain that dropped after being previously registered
Before a domain is dropped it must fall through multiple filters that will typically catch any valuable domains. First, it is likely that the original owner didn't think it was valuable enough to keep. Then, most registrars have their own filters to pick up valuable domains and send them to auction. Finally, most experienced domainers have access to lists of domains that are about to drop, and pick out ones that are valuable They use a drop catcher like Pool.com, Snapnames.com and Namejet.com to grab them before anyone can re-register them.

SO, after all that, it is pretty unlikely that you will find a diamond in an unregistered domain. AND even if you do, you will have gone through MANY, MANY pebbles that each cost you $9 each or so, and eaten up your profits.
Have I done it? Yes. Did I make back the money for all those pebbles? No comment.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators