Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Not one snap in year ggrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>> The game is getting worse and worse

I feel the game has never been better, despite whether Ult and BD are doing better or not :)

I've been in the game about three years and am only just beginning to regulary get monthly income in the $1000 - $2000 plus range.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure yet about WLS! All the "mechanics" are not yet public knowledge and have to wait until they are. But will say this: Almost certain that an aftermarket for WLS slots will develop! Someones got the slot on a name, he could put it on E-Bay, a former drop club or catcher site now turned auction site, etc. Could probably be sold before the drop if it's a great name. Might make things real interesting!

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Attilio
The fact is that information about WLS details are not still very clear/available.

A single detail like the one you mention might completely cahnge the point of view of many people about WLS.

As it stands now I can see why no few people can suppose it would be a benefit for them and I think we have to analyze their reasons deeply.

Actually direct connections to registry is what make the difference and it is a fcat that it is quite hard and expensive to get.
What most people do is to buy their small slices of direct connection from resellers (read drop services).

I see nothing bad in this and it is working not bad for me.

However I can understand that for others a system where the value of direct connection access will be nill, and where they might have the chance to find a good name and place a guaranteed backorder on it (that is buy the WLS slot) can sound interesting.

Now the real point is will be so easy to beat the big guys catching WLS slots before than them ?
or better said will be it easier that beat them now using the drop services available to the public?

I am not sure about that, I honestly do not have enough info/knowledge to give a certain answer, however I feel that the expectative of many WLS supporters might be higher that the reality, but it is hard to say without detiled info about how exactly WLS would work.

Well one thing is clear Attilio, WLS will be the end of the scripts and bots..and those are the people you are seeing scream the loudest..
I could very well support WLS under those and a few other rumored circumstances..

I appreciate your hesitation to take a desisive decision until we get more details..

The idea that people with the most money/resouces should get all the good names ..and dont kid yourself..we all know it's true where 95% of the best names go.. is at the very least repulsive...

Well ..I guess whats repulsive about it is the attitude that if one has the money to get all the better names that somehow they are deserving ..

What I see is a hunts brothers scenerio about to befall a select few...

and I cant say that I am really going to lose any sleep over it ....

But I will also wait before I commit myself totally to WLS from being against WLS.. I will follow your lead on this ..

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>>Now the real point is will be so easy to beat the big guys catching WLS slots before than them ? or better said will be it easier that beat them now using the drop services available to the public?

Yes, I've been thinking about that too Attilo. I wish we knew the answer :)

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Baron
Not sure yet about WLS! All the "mechanics" are not yet public knowledge and have to wait until they are. But will say this: Almost certain that an aftermarket for WLS slots will develop! Someones got the slot on a name, he could put it on E-Bay, a former drop club or catcher site now turned auction site, etc. Could probably be sold before the drop if it's a great name. Might make things real interesting!

There is enough info released to insure that the above will NOT happen.

WLS slots are to be non-transferable to another registrant.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well one thing is clear Attilio, WLS will be the end of the scripts

NO it won't....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

Let me say it again....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

And again....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

Andif you can understand that fact you'll realize all you're going to see is the drop market all over again. Except add verisigns $24 to the price tag. Along with a markup from the registrar.

And you'll have to bet on everything rather than just betting on what actually is deleting.

Verisign will make a shitload of $$$$ and it's all coming straight out of your pockets.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everything will change and nothing will change.

I can't believe WLS could go thru. It goes against the trend of a
"free market". And, if Congress doesn't stop it. It will.

All this will do is raise Verisign's share of the names expiring from

$ 6. to $ 24 ($30?).

Then, Verisign will join the exclusive club with DeBeer (diamonds),
the oil cartel and MicroSoft.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin

NO it won't....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

Let me say it again....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

And again....... the slots will be caught exactly the same way the names are now.

Gordon,

I can see your point and I have a great respect for your so deep knowledge of this market.

However I think that if it is true that a large majority of WLS slot would be grabbed using scripts (they will be extremely sophisticated having to work on dropping probabilities) it is also true that some good ones might be "hand- grabbed" by small players willing to do an hard work of research and being enough patient to wait months before to see any results.

However, also right now a small player can achieve nice results with same ingredients (hard work and patience) that for I am really still very uncertain regarding this WLS thing and I am very interested in ear all opinions and evaluate all input other people can give.

Thanks,

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How to play the expired game and beat the big players for names you really treasure :-

1. Support WLS. Verisign will make sure the big players acquisition costs per domain are screwed big time.

2. Contact the registrant and offer to buy it off him/her. It doesn't work all the time at the price you want, but I've been lucky many times with this approach. Support the RESELLER market!!!

3. If it is an expiring name with Netsol, renew the bugger at your own expense then come back in a couple of months to the registrant and ask to buy the name like a good samitarian.

4. Don't be cowered by the intimidating "You're an idiot for supporting WLS and shut your big **** mouth up you ***ehole!" statements of the big bullies that roam forum boards. Do what you think is right. Express what you feel is right. And be prepared to unlease your lawyers to track down people who intimidate you.

5. Accept that the 6am dream of 3 years ago is long dead, and forever change your strategy for acquiring used domains.

Yea.. like what bid said - don't get mad, get even.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't be cowered by the intimidating "You're an idiot for supporting WLS and shut your big **** mouth up you ***ehole!" statements of the big bullies that roam forum boards. Do what you think is right. Express what you feel is right. And be prepared to unlease your lawyers to track down people who intimidate you.

I must have missed those statements.:rolleyes:

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
COME ON WLS THAT'S WHAT I SAY THESE PEOPLE AGAINST IT HAVE JUST GOT IT TO COOCHY AT THE MOMENT AND ARE VERY WORRIED.

Zorro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with Mole!

The only people opposing WLS are the ones who have big stakes in the present drop game. I really dont see how WLS will be any worse for the end consumer.

A lot of us dont get the 'best' names now...we 'might' not get them post WLS. That isnt worse, is it?

Who cares if Verisign makes an additional $24 per slot, its better than bidding $$$ at places like namewinner only to see the usual suspects gobble up the name.

I'm not saying WLS is a perfect solution, but its better than the existing setup. If you dont agree:
GOOD FOR YOU

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
How to play the expired game and beat the big players for names you really treasure :-

1. Support WLS. Verisign will make sure the big players acquisition costs per domain are screwed big time.

2. Contact the registrant and offer to buy it off him/her. It doesn't work all the time at the price you want, but I've been lucky many times with this approach. Support the RESELLER market!!!

3. If it is an expiring name with Netsol, renew the bugger at your own expense then come back in a couple of months to the registrant and ask to buy the name like a good samitarian.

4. Don't be cowered by the intimidating "You're an idiot for supporting WLS and shut your big **** mouth up you ***ehole!" statements of the big bullies that roam forum boards. Do what you think is right. Express what you feel is right. And be prepared to unlease your lawyers to track down people who intimidate you.

5. Accept that the 6am dream of 3 years ago is long dead, and forever change your strategy for acquiring used domains.

Yea.. like what bid said - don't get mad, get even.

I agree with you completely.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
Everything will change and nothing will change.

I can't believe WLS could go thru. It goes against the trend of a
"free market". And, if Congress doesn't stop it. It will.

All this will do is raise Verisign's share of the names expiring from

$ 6. to $ 24 ($30?).

Then, Verisign will join the exclusive club with DeBeer (diamonds),
the oil cartel and MicroSoft.

Have you seen the prices for decent names on Namewinner lately? How about N x $120 (refundable) for a 1 in a 1000 shot at DropWizard (I wasted hours there and never picked up a thing)? How about $70 for a Snap? So, the "free market" as you call it is not cheap.

If Congress really studied the issue (and I don't think they should even be involved), I believe that they would eventurally realize that WLS takes an under the covers, murky system and puts it on a clear, above board basis, with a much leveler playing field. WLS is especially good for non-speculators who just really hope to pick up one particular name.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver, dream on.

Unbelieveable how some people still believe in WLS no matter how hard you try to beat them to the truth.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys like Greg, Jello, Yakov, and many others are picking up some decent names. But, you might not be hearing about it.

I pick up some good mediocre names. And, I play all the possibilities- NW, Snap, Pool, etc. And, BD beats me on a number of great names. But, I am positive that with WLS, BD will continue to beat me.

I keep saying this, the only reason for WLS is for the benefit of Verisign.

One to two years from now. We will still have the same cry "BD beat me again."

As for my motive. I am just like you. I just buy domains for my business use. And, for resale when possible.

I don't create, market or sell any scripts.

I find that most of the people who are complaining fall into a couple groups. One of groups are the ones that do not do any long term research on a name. And, they start chasing it within one to two weeks before it drops. And, they don't understand why they can not get a snap on a name.

Then, another group are the ones that research it. Put a snap on it, way into the future. And, when it drops. Another service got it. They don't realize (or they don't want to accept) that there are a number of options to catch a name.

I had a snap on 2-1.com for months. And, I had the high bid on NW today of $55. I would have prefered that Snap would catch it since it would be cheaper. Bottom line, I covered my bases. And, ended up with the name. (I don't even remember why I wanted the name.)

Anytime there are restrictions on buying something. The price will go up. Besides, Verisign increase in cost. I am sure some of the other services will also raise their prices. Acct maintenance, service charges, increase in transfer fees. I am not sure what will go up. But, they will.

I think WLS will squeeze the small domain buyer/seller out of business. And, I don't want that to happen for my own self protection.

As a group, we give BD, Caymen, and HK a run for their money.
And, I am sure they would like us to go away.

Whatever happens. I am in this for the long run.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
I think WLS will squeeze the small domain buyer/seller out of business. And, I don't want that to happen for my own self protection.

On the contrary, I think WLS will indirectly help the small domain buyer/seller. Buyers like me wait in hope that the reseller with his 100s of stockpiled names will get disillusioned at the lack of interest and go bankrupt and just let the name drop. If you ever wondered why selling names in the secondary market is so sluggish, this is probably ONE big reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom