Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Not one snap in year ggrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only guarantee in this business is that things will continue to change.

The cost of entry into this industry is low. So, competition will alway be growing. And, WLS will not change that.

All WLS means is one stop shopping. Elliminating all additional options of getting a name.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to say I agree with garymayor. I also think Microsoft should buy out Apple and sue to get the exclusive rights to Linux. The computer scene would be much less confusing if there was only one option. And what's with all of these phone companies? I don't care if you can call from the US to Europe for only 3¢ a minute now. Give me back Ma Bell any day and put an end to all that annoying competition.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People are always saying that but it will help me. It'll get back to the old days when people had to get the snap first. There's a lot of opposition for it because people have no idea how to work out names that are going to drop before anyone else or they do but don't have the knowledge how to implement it.
I suppose your right it will help the big guns but it will also help the old timers and ones that know the game better. Wouldn't this be a better system. I think you'll find that Ultsearch and Buydomains would have a much harder time getting there before many users. They would get knocked down i can guarantee that. People go on about them buying all the drops because they got more money. It's got nothing to do with that it's all to do with choosing the right names and believe me they don't buy any old crap. They know whats going to drop the day the site goes down.
The WLS system will make it easier for the old timers to get the names and a lot more than are winning now.

Come on someone must agree with me haha.

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Microsoft in charge of Linux you make me wanna die haha. I use Linux and only Linux Windows makes me sick. I'm mad today because i have to use Windows XP looking after the office for someone aahhh it's driving me nuts hahaha.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gary,

The complaint you have about this industry is the same complaint every industry has.

The top guy in every industry is trying to maximize their competitive advantage. Which makes their competitors fall by the wayside.

Examples,

Microsoft, Home Depot, Walmart, Rubbermaid, Coke, etc.

And, now Verisign.

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree and look at Linux slowly creeping up the os market. Who makes Linux the users. The users have to make it better for themselves and not let big companies rule the roost.
Look at this game Ultsearch, Buydomains, Snapnames and netsol are trying to rule the game.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No offense garymayor but you sound like a communist. You want everything to be fair and divided up evenly, thats not how it works. You've just had some back luck. You want your luck to change then put more money out? The only reason ultsearch and buydomains do so good is because they have a lot of money. You can't blame them for that

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We need a way to stop the likes of Ultsearch and Buydomains now how can we bring a WLS system that will do that?

Why because they compete successfully. Why is it every loser points to someone successful and screams "they should be stopped"

It should be given to me. BOOHOO

The Ant and The Grasshopper - Updated!!!

CLASSIC VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his
house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's
a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food
or shelter so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:

The successful drop businessman works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his
house and laying up supplies for the winter. The WLS wannabees thinks he's
a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the shivering WLS wannabees calls a press conference and
demands to know why the successful drop businessman should be allowed to be warm and well fed while
others are cold and starving.

ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, and NBC show up to provide pictures of the shivering
WLS wannabees next to a video of the successful drop businessman in his comfortable home with a
table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor WLS wannabees is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the WLS wannabees, and everybody cries when they sing "It's Not Easy Being Green with envy." Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the successful drop businessman's house where the news stations film the group singing "We shall overcome." Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the WLS wannabees's sake.

Tom Daschle & Hillary Clinton exclaim in an interview with Peter
Jennings that the successful drop businessman has gotten rich off the back of the WLS wannabees, and both
call for an immediate tax hike on the successful drop businessman to make him pay his "fair share".
Finally, the EEOC drafts the "Economic Equity and Anti-WLS wannabees Act,"
retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The successful drop businessman is fined for failing
to hire a proportionate number of green with envy thugs and, having nothing left to
pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.
Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the WLS wannabees in a
defamation suit against the successful drop businessman, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.

The successful drop businessman loses the case. The story ends as we see the WLS wannabees
finishing up the last bits of the successful drop businessman's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the successful drop businessman's old house, crumbles around him
because he doesn't maintain it.
The successful drop businessman has disappeared in the snow. The WLS wannabees is found dead in a
drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of X-domain addicts who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
wow, thats some imagination you have gmartfin.
you should start a domain name / WLS sitcom.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually I can't take credit for it. I saw the updated ant and the grasshopper somewhere else and just did a little word substitution. although apparently the humour flew over some heads:D

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got it , except in real life the ant works for the grasshopper:D:D

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the story has racial overtones

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you have much to learn, grasshoppers....

HLK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I feel like Gary somedays.

I also think many others feel the same too.
No question that the odds of getting a name for us "regular guys"
is getting slimmer.

You just have to realize that in a free market, this stuff is going to happen.

We can bitch and moan all we want but it won't help a bit.

Personally, I have had to make the tough decision to not let it bother me as much as it used to.

I have also started to develop sites more than ever and I can tell you that you are missing out by not doing so.

On the bright side I have stopped bidding INSANE amounts at NW
saving me lot's of money.

Roll with the puches my friend cause it's not going to get any easier anytime soon....

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All snaps suck and are a waste of time for MOST people.. . if you really want a name BEAT the " Big PLayers" by simply contacting the current registrants..

yeah yeah they usually ask for outragous prices but not all the time .. and those that simply would have forgotten and let the name drop ..well you werent geting it anyway..

SO.. dosent it make you feel good that you can flip UlT and Buy the finger as the current registrant simply renewes :D

Hey they want it that bad..they can pay the current registrant his asking price ..

what's the cliche' ..Dont get mad.. get even..

HLK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are exactly right bidawinner!!

It takes a lot of work sometimes to score but it is the only
sure way the name never makes it to market.

You just have to be willing work REAL hard but there will be rewards ;)

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that a main point is being missed here.

Gary had snaps on those 20 names, that for is equation is quite simple:

1) If I have been able to beat the big boys getting the snaps on those names I will be able to do same with WLS slot.

2) I am in favor of WLS.

Point 1 can be surely argued but the same I can see his reasons even being against WLS

Thanks,

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>>1) If I have been able to beat the big boys getting the snaps on those names I will be able to do same with WLS slot.

Under the current system you can back-order a name months and even years in advance if you want. But with WLS you have a certain timeframe from which an order can be placed. This is what really scares most people I guess.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fact is that information about WLS details are not still very clear/available.

A single detail like the one you mention might completely cahnge the point of view of many people about WLS.

As it stands now I can see why no few people can suppose it would be a benefit for them and I think we have to analyze their reasons deeply.

Actually direct connections to registry is what make the difference and it is a fcat that it is quite hard and expensive to get.
What most people do is to buy their small slices of direct connection from resellers (read drop services).

I see nothing bad in this and it is working not bad for me.

However I can understand that for others a system where the value of direct connection access will be nill, and where they might have the chance to find a good name and place a guaranteed backorder on it (that is buy the WLS slot) can sound interesting.

Now the real point is will be so easy to beat the big guys catching WLS slots before than them ?
or better said will be it easier that beat them now using the drop services available to the public?

I am not sure about that, I honestly do not have enough info/knowledge to give a certain answer, however I feel that the expectative of many WLS supporters might be higher that the reality, but it is hard to say without detiled info about how exactly WLS would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom