Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Nov 9 Is it me or are there a lot of great names dropping today

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remind me never to let you near my kids piggy bank.
Wrong example. They would miss it. I speak more like in sense of those abandoned Swiss accounts of Jews from the WWII..

Domain Summit 2024

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Wrong example. They would miss it. I speak more like in sense of those abandoned Swiss accounts of Jews from the WWII..

That's a real bad example.

DNAholic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think everyone sees things differently, and here is what we have a difference of opinion. I believe most domainers here think like denny007, although I do understand Stocdoctor is saying.

I don't think what denny007 does makes him a criminal in the way Stocdoctor is trying to make it sound like. I don't think he would steal from your kids piggy bank given the chance, or anyone’s kids, or from an adult for that matter.

If everyone played by Stocdoctor's rules, domaining would not be what it is today.

Stocdoctor - Don't take what I am saying the wrong way either, this is just my opinion and nothing to do with you personally :)

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNAholic said:
If everyone played by Stocdoctor's rules, domaining would not be what it is today.
True, it would be a much cleaner (better) market without so many scams.
Stocdoctor - Don't take what I am saying the wrong way either, this is just my opinion and nothing to do with you personally :)
No problem at all with you expressing your opinion. Can you explain that concept to the Skipper?

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes and also explain it to Stocdoctor, because calling someone (actually large group of people) a THIEF without them actually stealing something, thats a lot of personal...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Yes and also explain it to Stocdoctor, because calling someone (actually large group of people) a THIEF without them actually stealing something, thats a lot of personal...

You still don't get it there Skipper. You have a typo you created based on a TM name that you use to siphen ("leech" your words) traffic from the owner, and yet you don't see that as theft of traffic?

Skipper above http://www.myimagehosting.com/pic.php?u=1851saEbC&i=22002

http://alanhale.com/ and his theme song

So lets say that Adam trademarks DNforum and you see that and create Dforum (with a phpbb forum attached to it just for clarity) with the full intent of misdirecting traffic away from this place and over to yours. To boot, some of these people actually don't know the difference and they proceed to click on the adds you throw up. You don't think that you would be in effect stealing business from Adam? Nothing wrong with that, and you think Adam should have spent money to reg every possible typo variation of DNforum to protect himself, otherwise all those would be TM typos are fair game? Twisted logic.

DNAholic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you look at as is right or wrong, I agree its not right reging TM's, but this is not a perfect world as biggedon in the other thread perfectly made it clear I think.

I also don't think its a very bad thing either. At the end of the day if its the way the domain market works, you want all your typos, go register them. First come first served. You can't be bothered to do this? You have the trademark, then you are going to have WIPO it.

When you look at it from a view of someone who sees an opportunity to make money, and there are bundles of others doing it, then you join in, or stay ethical and stay out. I feel people that have a problem with this are the people that have already made it, and don't need to go down that road to make money. Hell if I had loads of generics and had enough cash, and maybe had some problem with people typosquating my domain(s), I may feel the exact same way as Stocdoctor, not that I am saying thats what situation your in.

When you think of right and wrong, then why do we have rich countries and poor countries? Why are people dying from hunger, when others are driving Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s and have their private jets? Answer me these questions. These are the most important ones, yet we are sitting here talking about typosquating being wrong! Yes it’s wrong. We as a human race are a bit wrong when you look at the big picture. Life is not fair, you just got to deal with it. Thats just the way it is.

Thats the way I see it anyway. And denny you might as well remove your sig, it will only get you into trouble mate.

Oh and some one close this thread :)

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know what, Lieutenant, I already wasted too much of my precious time with you. Call us whatever you want, but now whole domain world (except you, of course) is too busy with all those thousands Laporte Holdings drops. I think you should grab them all and give it for free to all those TM holder. How about that...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good gesture if someone did a little database with all those names and sent a standard email out to all the TM holders. But not until all the auctions are over right?

Nah!

Matrix1976

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
I think it would be a good gesture if someone did a little database with all those names and sent a standard email out to all the TM holders. But not until all the auctions are over right?

Nah!

Now wouldnt that be a great way to make friends lol!

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor, wouldn't that make you feel so good if you'd send out those letters?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
Stocdoctor, wouldn't that make you feel so good if you'd send out those letters?

Nah, I wouldn't do it. I've already said my piece about the issue. I have been told that someone else (from another forum) is doing it. I tried to dissuade him, (like really, really hard) but it's in process. I think it would make a very interesting story for Duke's DNjournal if he was to interview these guys and ask why they are dropping them and NOT selling them. Court order perhaps? If that's the case, then it could be likely that the same lawyers bringing the action on them are following who ends up with these names.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a thought about court order:
Judge had no idea about how domaining works. Because now they will not have to pursue one owner, but hundreds, often hidden behind whoisguards.
Judge ordered to offer the domains to TM holders first. Those droping was from companies, they was not interested or did not answer to that offer.

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Matrix1976 said:
Probably a few hundred different domainers...as denny mentioned...
and denny is part of them ;-)
I could see only his name on snapnames & pool !

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I overtook some part of the Laporte's portfolio ;)

I

international

(Dont want to stir things up, but i had to dip my opinion in)

No one owns internet traffic, so how can typos be theft?

If you are talking of theft in terms of Intellectual Property then the internet would have to be shut down. The internet is based around sharing IP (unless you are microsoft). So who cares if a handful of individuals are making money from an imperfect system? Typos have a lifespan as the internet changes, so I wouldnt even bet on them being that valuable in around in 10 years time, so not really that hot a topic. By then typo domainers will probably be buying audio domain errors, mostly benefiting off those people with speech impediments. :)

Congrats on the purchases BTW.

oops, i realised this was an old post after i posted... but still good for a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom