Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Nude Kings: banker.com "it did not sell.....want it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good to see that pointing a flashlight on this has made the right thing happen

Seems as if it was going to happen anyway.

Chuck, you are one deep thinker.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This domain has now been transferred to Rick Schwartz. The sale is complete and back on our Year to Date chart.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just read this thread and have a few comments:

1) When you are "king" everyone is gunning for you. Rick I'm sure wasn't amused by this thread, but not totally surprised.

2) George...Next time when you want to kill a mosquito don't use a hatchet. You are to be commended for "questioning" the validity of this sale, but it's how you went about it that was wrong in my judgement.

3) Mole... you always crack me up.

4) Ron... You know you are doing something right when people begin to question your work. Like a true professional you handled this superbly. Transparency is the best policy which I'm sure all domainers would have to agree DNJ embodies that. Much continued success my friend.

5) Targetted Traffic is by far the best way to make money on the net (bar fricken none!!). The 2nd best way is to "network". As far as I can tell Rick's convention seems to bring all the players in this industry together. So if it cost you $5K to attend (or whatever) and you are serious about what you are doing it seems to me it would be well worth the trip. I highly doubt that "news" of banker.com being auctioned off at this convention would be even remotely interesting to anyone who really knows this business. LISTEN domainers... The importance of domains are ALREADY engrained in the minds of most internet users. We are not living in a 1998 mindset where you have to give a 2 hour presentation to the "average joe" on why Travel.com is worth $xx,xxx,xxx.xx dollars... The lay person already knows why.... THE KEY IS what you do with such a name. I think that is the thing to take away from Schwartz's convention.

6) JBerryHill... Some funny commentary sprinkled with some legalese... Love it!!

M

mole

The issue has never been that a domain convention was not worth going, but one of outright and explicit discrimination practiced by the organisers as to who can attend and who can't, and discouraging the "undesirables" with 5x more rates.

The issue has never been that traffic is not worth having, but how that traffic is generated to blind the many ignorant buyers (called morons by those in the insider trade) who know the last thing about traffic audits or don't have sophisticated stat trackers in place that can tell the real difference eg. traffic generated by multiplier popups, hidden links, script bots, et el.

The issue has never been that banker.com was an outright scam, but why it didn't convert as smoothly as it should have in the hands of pros, on the public podium of pros. And why it had to take a post like this to spook off a simple realisation that something was "stuck" after all this time.

The issue, is only as good as which side your bread is buttered. For those who depend on the Internet for a living, that issue, is a done deal.

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
The issue has never been that a domain convention was not worth going, but one of outright and explicit discrimination practiced by the organisers as to who can attend and who can't, and discouraging the "undesirables" with 5x more rates.

You hit the nail on the head. The event marketing was extremely unprofessional and elitist. If you are going to have a meeting of the "good old boys" network you can just do it in private. While sales like banker.com do help raise the bar for all of us, events like TRAFFIC (given the way it was promoted and the fee structure) really do make us all look silly.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I just saw this thread. Read the first couple of posts. Checked the whois, and went through 6 pages of posts just to see the thread catch back up to concluding that the sale was indeed completed. Whew. :cheesy:

~ Nexus

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:

Unless Rick is getting government grants I don't see an issue with setting different registration rates amongst different groups of people. Bottomline: If you want to attend you'll pay. note: There is a fairly straight forward solution if you don't want to pay the "fare"... don't attend. To be honest I wouldn't charge any fees to attend, however there would be a premium on the "meet-n-greet" training sessions during the convention. btw: I don't know Rick Schwartz, I probably will never meet him, nor do I have any desire to. I simply call things as I see them.

mole said:
The issue has never been that traffic is not worth having, but how that traffic is generated to blind the many ignorant buyers (called morons by those in the insider trade) who know the last thing about traffic audits or don't have sophisticated stat trackers in place that can tell the real difference eg. traffic generated by multiplier popups, hidden links, script bots, et el.

Insider trade...hmmm. Sounds like a super secret group of people who "know" exactly what each visitor to their website is thinking. I'd be careful mole. These people can get a little squeamish when you start divulging some of their "insider" secrets...shhhh!

Seriously though...if someone types in Travel.com into their web browser that means something. Contrast that with a visitor finding you on page 2 of google. (Compare and Contrast)

In short, you do what you think is best for yourself as far as marketing your site. I myself (through some luck) was able to "snag" a dot-com name that is getting over 100 (avg) type-in's a day (OVT W/URL is 694). I'm not listed in Google, nor do I pay for this traffic. To me that is worth at least $100 for not having to pay Google money to advertise my site (trial and error may cost you more finding the "right" key words).

The beauty of having such a URL address is that I know exactly who is coming to my place. The visitors to my site are highly educated people with moderate to higher income levels. How do I know this? I've gotten several emails from them, as well as peeking at my logs which show them coming in from major media outlets, schools, airlines, high-tech business, etc, etc---major industries---hint: It's a political blog site.

Now...I could do two things with this address. Sell it for a quick buck, or use it to play "leap frog" with my other sites which do not get type-in traffic. As of right now I have no plans to sell...

healingsites said:
While sales like banker.com do help raise the bar for all of us, events like TRAFFIC (given the way it was promoted and the fee structure) really do make us all look silly.

Don't take this the wrong way. I've been gone awhile, and I'm not familiar with your moniker, so if I insult you don't take it personal.

How shall I put this... This isn't 1998. 41K for a decent name like Banker.com isn't news anymore. Maybe once upon a time, but not today. At least not from my vantage point. Most internet users understand the "inherent" value of a generic dot com name. Why? The everyday user has went through the process of trying to buy a domain name. Whether it's a brother, or an aunt that "wanted" to strike out on their own to start an internet business, they have gone through the process of sitting at their computer going through several name combinations before finding the "right one". My point is the typical internet user is probably in their fourth or fifth evolutionary stage. Most work places have the internet. Most people have computer/internet access at home. Most people with money that is....

So saying that Banker.com somehow "raises the bar" for us is like saying eBay could be a successful internet business someday. The value of a good domain name is not a secret anymore. Just go ask someone off the street what they think Travel.com would be worth. I'm betting they would be able to get "somewhat" close.

I think the real "Domain" news should be what "types" of domains are selling... Not neccesarily the price they went for.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is:

Wouldn't WLS have prevented this from happening?

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
In short, you do what you think is best for yourself as far as marketing your site. I myself (through some luck) was able to "snag" a dot-com name that is getting over 100 (avg) type-in's a day (OVT W/URL is 694). I'm not listed in Google, nor do I pay for this traffic. To me that is worth at least $100 for not having to pay Google money to advertise my site (trial and error may cost you more finding the "right" key words).

The beauty of having such a URL address is that I know exactly who is coming to my place. The visitors to my site are highly educated people with moderate to higher income levels. How do I know this? I've gotten several emails from them, as well as peeking at my logs which show them coming in from major media outlets, schools, airlines, high-tech business, etc, etc---major industries---hint: It's a political blog site.

A prime example of someone who thinks he owns a type-in domain.

What you own is traffic that was developed by someone else.

A website isnt on just page 2 of a search engine ..a website can be on thousands of pages ...that's the beauty of owning a website that can create far more revenue than even ANY true type could ever even dream about let alone the faux names people are calling type-ins.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bocajohnh said:
What I want to know is: Wouldn't WLS have prevented this from happening?
Ha ha ha ha... I wonder if that's a "button" with anyone anymore?

~ Nexus

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
deter said:

A website isnt on just page 2 of a search engine ..a website can be on thousands of pages ...that's the beauty of owning a website that can create far more revenue than even ANY true type could ever even dream about let alone the faux names people are calling type-ins.

Hmmm... I read this twice. Let me see if I catch your drift

1) I don't own a true "type-in" domain because the "traffic" was developed by someone else?

2) A website is not just on page 2 of a search engine... It can be on 4, 5, 6, 7, 20....100...110, etc, etc.

Ah, yeah. Let's me clear something up. Most people don't go past page 1 on any search engine, let alone page 2.... So much for the "beauty" of owning a website with many pages.

As far as someone else developing traffic to my site, I'm not linked to anyone, nor are there any "back links". I didn't "catch" this domain, in fact I am the very first registrant. It had never been reg'd before. Let that cook your noodle for awhile.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
deter said:

A bit too much caffiene today?

M

mole

izoot said:
A bit too much caffiene today?

hmm, if caffeine can do this, imagine what nicotine can achieve *goes out and draws another puff of tar and carcinogens* :cool:

izopod said:
Insider trade...hmmm. Sounds like a super secret group of people who "know" exactly what each visitor to their website is thinking. I'd be careful mole. These people can get a little squeamish when you start divulging some of their "insider" secrets...shhhh!

Too late!!, I've been hit by multiple DDos attacks, scores of trojan virus emails every day, and a suspicious looking guy in a trenchcoat at the corner of my street with a big long object that seems happy to see me :undecided

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
hmm, if caffeine can do this, imagine what nicotine can achieve *goes out and draws another puff of tar and carcinogens* :cool:

Too late!!, I've been hit by multiple DDos attacks, scores of trojan virus emails every day, and a suspicious looking guy in a trenchcoat at the corner of my street with a big long object that seems happy to see me :undecided

lol...

M

mole

izopod said:

hurmp! I get stuffed for supporting the new and killing the old and all you can do is laugh, pod? :-D The least you could have done was to cackle... cackcackcack. :-D

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
Hmmm... I read this twice. Let me see if I catch your drift

1) I don't own a true "type-in" domain because the "traffic" was developed by someone else?

2) A website is not just on page 2 of a search engine... It can be on 4, 5, 6, 7, 20....100...110, etc, etc.

Ah, yeah. Let's me clear something up. Most people don't go past page 1 on any search engine, let alone page 2.... So much for the "beauty" of owning a website with many pages.

As far as someone else developing traffic to my site, I'm not linked to anyone, nor are there any "back links". I didn't "catch" this domain, in fact I am the very first registrant. It had never been reg'd before. Let that cook your noodle for awhile.

1.) thats right ..developed traffic .is NOT type-in traffic ...a true TYPE-IN is domain that gets type-in traffic on it's own.

2.) a website is not just on page 2. it can also be on page 1 or 2 or 12 across thousands of pages on thousands of search terms bring in thousands or tens of thousands or more of uniques everyday ...

But hey if you're happy wetting yourself over 100 uniques a day more power to you ... :-O

M

mole

deter said:
1.) thats right ..developed traffic .is NOT type-in traffic ...a true TYPE-IN is domain that gets type-in traffic on it's own.

Well, that's not how some type-in traffic advocates will define it :-#: Type-in traffic is "anything you type-in directly into the address bar". Stat trackers cannot tell the difference between "developed" type-ins and "true" type-ins, so its going to be funny how you measure anything.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is correct, typein traffic is when a websurfer types directly into the address bar window, regardless of why, i.e. if they know there is such a website, guessing there may be a site using that name, or just testing it to see what comes up.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader said:
That is correct, typein traffic is when a websurfer types directly into the address bar window, regardless of why, i.e. if they know there is such a website, guessing there may be a site using that name, or just testing it to see what comes up.

And that points out the fact that there are many shades of gray when it comes to trying to categorize domain names into tidy little categories. Lets say someone says they have xyz-123.ws and that it gets a lot of type ins. Nobody believes them. But maybe it was plastered on the side of a bus in Singapore. People are typing it in, but after the ad is gone, so is the traffic. The "holy grail" is a name that (a) a lot of people (b) from a country where there is a lot of online commerce (c) type in out of the blue, when (d) they want to buy something expensive, and (e) will keep doing it forever, with no marketing cost. Sure, I'd like to have some of those, go ahead and push them to my account please. Some people will tell you ebay.com is not a true type-in name, even though it is typed in millions of times per day. I don't care what you call it, I think we'd all agree it gets a lot of type-in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators