Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

*** Oh My!! ..... Marriott.mobi ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Marriott.mobi

No redirects (for those that care)

Marriott:
Hotel, Hospitality
143,000 employees
$15.24 billion revenue

Here is an article released today with respect to the dotMOBI organization helping the Travel industry properly check into the MobileWeb....

mobi Internet Address Proves To Be Ideal Resource for Travel Information

Marriott.mobi, ZAGAT.mobi and Travelocity.mobi lead way for travelers

DUBLIN, Ireland and WASHINGTON, Aug. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- As North America approaches one of its busiest travel weekends, several new .mobi sites are providing travelers with the information they need while on the road.
Mobile Web sites that use a .mobi Internet address are guaranteed to work on practically all mobile phones, no matter who the mobile operator is. Because of this, several innovative travel services are using a .mobi address to lead the charge in building the mobile travel industry:

-- For hotels while on the road, Marriott.mobi provides an ideal starting point for finding Marriott properties or checking existing reservations. Hilton.mobi also helps travelers around the world find accommodations.
-- For getting to a destination, Amtrak.mobi is mobile commerce site that provides on-the-go U.S. travelers with a complete range of services, including train status and reservation changes in both English and Spanish.
-- To check the weather before reaching a destination, travelers visit weather.mobi, from The Weather Channel Interactive. Along with weather and weather-related news, the site provides maps, pollen counts and information on delays for airports.
-- Travelocity.mobi provides full a full set of services for travelers, mirroring the many services its PC-based site provides. Travelers can get information on flights, vacation packages, hotels, cars and cruises, and can book travel via their mobile phones.
-- For destination information, hellometro.mobi helps travelers find information on more than 600 cities around the world while ZAGAT.mobi makes ZAGAT Survey's renowned content available on the mobile phone, helping travelers make informed decisions about restaurants, hotels and worldwide.
"ZAGAT Survey has always taken a 'platform agnostic' approach to helping consumers make smart decisions on where to eat, drink, stay or play. We make our content available to them however and wherever they need it," said Nina Zagat, Co-Founder and Co-Chair of ZAGAT Survey. "ZAGAT.mobi
is the latest way we are achieving this goal."
The Marriot.mobi, Hilton.mobi and Amtrak.mobi sites were developed by New York-based Usablenet (http://www.usablenet.com).

Jason Taylor, Usablenet's VP of Mobile Products, said, "These three companies use Usablenet mobile, an intelligent proxy that outputs to the .mobi standards, which lead the industry for good mobile site design. In addition, the .mobi address -- as in Marriott.mobi -- is a sign for users to know that a site will work on their mobile phones."

Neil Edwards, CEO of dotMobi, said, "Mobile sites are a perfect fit for the travel industry to reach people while they're on the road. It's also an excellent match for travelers who are dependent on their mobile device to give them the information they need when they need it. And unlike a site.com/mobile or m.site.com name, the standards behind the .mobi domain
guarantee that a site will work on a mobile phone
."

About dotMobi
dotMobi (the informal name of mTLD Top Level Domain, Ltd.), a
consortium based in Dublin, Ireland with offices in Washington, DC and Beijing, is leading the growth of Internet use from mobile phones with the .mobi domain name. Unique among domain name providers, dotMobi ensures that services and sites developed around .mobi are optimized for use by mobile
devices. On-the- go consumers can have confidence that an Internet site or service will work on their mobile phones when using a .mobi address.

dotMobi is backed by leading mobile operators, network & device
manufacturers, and internet content providers, including Ericsson, GSM Association, Hutchison (3), Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, T-Mobile, Telefonica Moviles, TIM, Visa and Vodafone. dotMobi is also a sponsor of W3C's Mobile Web Initiative.
For more information on dotMobi domains and registration information, visit http://mtld.mobi. Visit the dotMobi blog at http://blog.mobi.

For more information, please contact:
Vance Hedderel
dotMobi
+1-703-485-5563
[email protected]

Danielle Siemon
A&R Edelman for dotMobi
+1-650-762-2947
[email protected]

Domain Summit 2024

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice !

...it seems Vision that the .mobi Volcano is begining to Grumble.....:smilewinkgrin:

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Too many .mobi bois visiting at once on their iPhones?

I see Marriott.mobi on my T-Mobile Dash, though they could & likely will improve it....

Acroplex, you may want to try getting Mobile Web reception other than at Church Street Station :smilewinkgrin:

Michael

Nice !

...it seems Vision that the .mobi Volcano is begining to Grumble.....:smilewinkgrin:

I agree 3DGeek.
Hopefully, not too many myopic villagers are living below the volcano :) ---because their gooses will be cooked!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hang on, you're saying I can't get marriott.mobi on my 8 megabit Brighthouse cable? I have to use a cellphone?

I guess I will go to Marriott.com then.

Yep, that worked.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hang on, you're saying I can't get marriott.mobi on my 8 megabit Brighthouse cable? I have to use a cellphone?

I guess I will go to Marriott.com then.

Yep, that worked.

Yup.

Acro, Marriott.mobi is for use on cellphone.... .mobi is to be used on mobile devices

....while that nice Marriott.com powered by your Brighthouse cable is to be used in the comfort of your home while eating a lamb gyro

.mobi -- It's here. Learn it! Live it! Love it!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just went to Marriott.com on my cellphone - worked just fine.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just went to Marriott.com on my cellphone - worked just fine.

Funny Roy, I know all this positive dotMOBI news is getting in your grill....and I LOVE it!!

How are the .ca's hanging buddy?

Funny, since your anal about redirecting.. I just went to Marriott.ca and it redirected me to Marriott.com!!

:lol2:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny Roy, I know all this positive dotMOBI news is getting in your grill....and I LOVE it!!

How are the .ca's hanging buddy?

Funny, since your anal about redirecting.. I just went to Marriott.ca and it redirected me to Marriott.com!!

:lol2:

Why is that when anyone says ANYTHING contrary to the group think some go on the attack? The hallmark of the person with the weak standing is the one that flies off the handle first. Wow insult .ca's how original. What's priceless about that comment is half the companies you post daily about having a new .mobi have had a .ca for up to eight years already.

The reality is this - the .com works just fine on my new cellphone. I don't even have a fancy one with special features or anything. Why that gets in your grill - well you have to ask yourself that.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhiteBark your refusal to accept reality is breathtaking...

Lets analyze...

.ca is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Canada
.ca was introduced in 1987, 20 years ago
Canada's population is 33 million

.mobi is the top level extension for mobile devices.
.mobi was introduced only 11 months ago
there are 3.5 billion mobile devices today and there will be 7 billion by 2011
.mobi is an extension for the entire world, not just one country!

BofA.ca No, it is a highschool birthday party
Deutsche-Bank.ca is a blank page
aaa.ca -- job listings site
polo.ca - nothing
orange.ca nothing
zagat.ca - nothing
ing. a site for Canadian engineers

Roy, I could go on and on...

Roy, keep squealing and protesting .mobi here and especially at NP like u always do....I'm enjoying this!!!

Roy, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

Accept reality and move on!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What in the heck are you talking about?

The one that needs a dose of reality is you. The reality is new cellphones don't need a mobi domain to work. What's so hard to understand there? Sure a mobi domain loads faster - buy you get a stripped down website. If I wanted a stripped down website I'd go back to 1989.

Okay now yell and scream about .ca some more. It's almost as funny as it is pathetic.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What in the heck are you talking about?

The one that needs a dose of reality is you. The reality is new cellphones don't need a mobi domain to work. What's so hard to understand there? Sure a mobi domain loads faster - buy you get a stripped down website. If I wanted a stripped down website I'd go back to 1989.

3dGeek, your right, the volcano is grumbling.

Sadly, there are still villagers remaining below who are blind & deaf and drinking koolaid....

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know Michael it was rude of me not to address your original question - .ca's have been great for me. I'm making a killing but how is mobi treating you? Oh I see, zero TR, not good huh? Well hopefully all this promotion of mobi will eventually pay off for you.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know Michael it was rude of me not to address your original question - .ca's have been great for me. I'm making a killing but how is mobi treating you? Oh I see, zero TR, not good huh? Well hopefully all this promotion of mobi will eventually pay off for you.

.mobi has been wonderful for me, thank you. Evidently, .mobi has been a real pain in the ass for you!

I promote a couple Sedo Auctions, but I don't trade here, thus, the meaningless TR rating.

Roy, I have been domaining since October 1999.

I own around 600 dotCom domains and 200 dot MOBI's and I do very well with PPC residuals and site development. I mostly hold domains, I don't need to sell.

Roy, I don't own .ca domains because .ca's are like loose change -- and I hate carrying around pennies & dimes.

Cheers,

Michael

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about that Marriott.mobi along with the news today of Travelocity.mobi along with MSN.mobi.

And then Baidu.mobi, the largest search engine in China and #7 on Alexa, came out.

Good digging up dem bones, Vision.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about that Marriott.mobi along with the news today of Travelocity.mobi along with MSN.mobi.

And then Baidu.mobi, the largest search engine in China and #7 on Alexa, came out.

Good digging up dem bones, Vision.

Yes indeed!

Good news in the dotMOBI namespace is plentiful.

Thank you, Doc!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Marriot is doing what they should be doing, registering a TLD with possible potential, however reaching that potential is another story.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Marriot is doing what they should be doing, registering a TLD with possible potential, however reaching that potential is another story.

Raider, of the 256 domain extensions, show me a non-dotCom extension that accomplished as much as dotMOBI in its first 11 months after entry into market.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are an estimated 6.5 billion people on Earth.

There are 43,826 registered members of DNforum.

Currently there are an estimated 3.5 billion cell phones in use globally.

Cell phones are outselling PC's and Laptops by a margin of four to one.

I am going to put some trust and stock into the 6,499,956,174 people who have never heard of DNforum and who could care less about what any of us think.

And I think I am going to go with the mathematical odds that favor a 4:1 growth rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators