Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Ok. So had enough of living in the UK. Canada, is that the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok. Mrs Namestrands recently gave birth to our first child, 5 months old now

Congratulations of the birth of your child!

Canada is a great place to live and you would all be welcomed here.

Since you probably don't speak french, Toronto is a better choice than Montreal.

-=DCG=-

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But would like to answer Raiders first off its a BOY...

At 5 months old, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy him, You'll find that being a parent is quite an experience.

At the end of the day it comes to quality of life, and while America does offer many advantages, I have very little trust in the American Government, and that I mean no disrespect to any American out there. Its just how I feel personally. Nations rise and fall eventually, look at the Roman Empire, Egyptian Empire and even more recently the British Empire.

With all the corruption in Government in recent years, I don't blame you.... What you might want to do is write down what's most important to you and your family, like climate or location such as being in close proximity to the beach, schools for your children, low crime rate.. These places are not that hard to find, I bought a book a couple years ago, LIFE 2.0 "How People Across America Are Transforming Their LIVES by Finding the Where of Their Happiness" it's a pretty good book that covers just about every aspect in choosing the right place to live, In America that is....It's written by Rich Karlgaard...

If you were single and earned 1000 $ weekly you would end up giving half of your pay away. It is much lower for those who have dependants and a spouse who isn't working.

Taxes are high but we do have benefits that make it more palatable. Free medicare for all (some provinces are better than others and only dental care is excluded for anyone over the age of 12). Affordable education; couple hundred per year in College and a few grand for University. You can't ask for any better.

Sales tax in Montreal is 15%. Housing here is cheaper than in Toronto. If you have a semi decent job you can live well here.

For anyone planning on moving out here, i strongly recommend they pick up a copy of 'wealth without risk for Canadians' by Charles Givens. The tips they"ll find in this book will save many dollars.

Thank you ... This pretty much confirms what I posted in another thread.

So if you sell a domain for $100,000, $50,000 of that goes to the Canadian Government, OUCH! I sure hope you have tax shelters.

Last edited:

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would imagine it works different than simply handing over 50% of a sale.. here in the UK If I were to sell a domain for £100,000 then I would paid capital gains on that, however no business works like that, I think depending on the companies overall profit I would pay tax on the profit and not tax on turnover. Also you would minus the cost of sale, so if the domain cost you 50k you would only be taxed on the profit, but with any business it comes down to OVERALL turnover and not individual sales.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know a couple of people who want to get the heck out of the US and researched where to go. Canada was a top pick. Especially if Palin gets elected.

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you ... This pretty much confirms what I posted in another thread. So if you sell a domain for $100,000, $50,000 of that goes to the Canadian Government, OUCH! I sure hope you have tax shelters.

Absolutely not; Domain sales are treated as capital gains for those who have another job. Only a percentage of the sale will be taxable. Full time domainers who don't have another job can set up a corporation. Corporate tax rates are much lower. We also have the ability to open tax free saving accounts. Place your assets in one of those accounts and when you liquidate them at a profit you don't have to pay anything. A good accountant will go a long way in helping you out with all of this. The book I mentioned earlier in the thread will as well.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Pros:

- There are lots to see and lots of things to do, especially if you like winter sports, wild life and hunting
- The weather is nice and mild; usually not too hot summers and not too cold winters
- There are diverse cultures. You got everything from Asians to Caucasians to blacks (sorry if that's rude)
- There's the city, the mountains, and the water - something you don't usually find in any city
- There are not too many people living here. Not jam-packed like Toronto or New York

Cons:

- Real estate is shooting through the sky
- There are drug problems on the Downtown Eastside. (I don't run into any problems with that though because I avoid that section of Downtown.)
- There can be panhandling
- It rains almost every day starting in November and ends at the end on June. It is still cold and wet in May and some years in June
- It is far and expensive to go anywhere around the globe from Vancouver, especially when you travel with family. You can save some $$ if you flight from Seattle, WA but you have to drive down there ~ 2 - 2.5 hours.

Overall, Vancouver's a pretty good city. There are things you can avoid like the druggies and just be careful of any panhandling. If you have enough money, then getting an apartment or condo or house shouldn't be that big of a problem. You should definitely look more into moving here. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in an area outside of Vancouver known as Surrey. Cost of living isn't all that high here and in all honesty, it is the best place in Canada to live. I can golf all year round, go boating, fishing, etc...I love it here. You can get into a nice 3 bedroom townhome for under $300,000 or a nice condo for about $280,000

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Life is kind of like the Matrix.. its the whole red and blue pill scenario, you take the blue pill and your remain ignorant to the world around you.

Weather aside, I live currently on a remote island off the west coast of scotland, known for its cold gale force atlantic winds, and I cant remember the last time I seen the shine, so anything is going to be better than this. Oh did I mention that we have no trees.. thats right, no trees. They all up and left years ago.

The price of real estate is comparable with a lessor city in the UK per square meter. I would not be looking to live in the City itself, but on the surrounding suburbs. I am also not looking to work in the City as I would be looking to set up an office close to home, perhaps employing around 10 staff within the year. I have 10 years experience as an IT & Marketing Director (15 years in IT) so highly skilled in the labour markets and never not had a job since I was 15 years old.

Vancouver has been completely ruled out, purely because of its rocketing real estate prices, and cost of living.

At the end of the day, their are great place to live in the UK, but due to its size, take a few steps in either direction and you are mixing with the lower classes, and I understand how snobby that may sound, but the truth remains, that no matter where you seem to go in the UK the class divide is EXTREME, and on your doorstep.

I am not rich by any means, but I do want a lifestyle for my family that includes safe clean streets and a safe environment, in a place where talent and entrepreneurship is welcomed and not TAXED to death. Out of all the places I have been and places researched Canada appears to be well respected the world over, neutral like the European French (in a good way) and are not hell bent on clinging onto power or indeed like the US and UK trying to force its opinions and ideals on to the rest of the world.

We have one life, so make the most of it.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I live in an area outside of Vancouver known as Surrey. Cost of living isn't all that high here and in all honesty, it is the best place in Canada to live. I can golf all year round, go boating, fishing, etc...I love it here. You can get into a nice 3 bedroom townhome for under $300,000 or a nice condo for about $280,000

You will know that Surrey gets its name from the UK Suburb of London Surrey, what you might not know is $280k would just about buy you a descent 1 bedroom apartment in Surrey, UK ;-)

Last edited:

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well said.

Congrats on your new addition.

Best of luck to you and yours. Canada may not be perfect but it just may be what you need.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about the Cayman Islands. I understand there are some heavy hitter domainers there? Plus isn't it somehow connected to the UK where immigration may be easier? Much better climate vs Canada. p.s. I heard immigration to Canada is real difficult involving needed occupations, and lots of assets and cash required.

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about the Cayman Islands. I understand there are some heavy hitter domainers there? Plus isn't it somehow connected to the UK where immigration may be easier? Much better climate vs Canada. p.s. I heard immigration to Canada is real difficult involving needed occupations, and lots of assets and cash required.

i don't think the caymans would be a place you'd want to raise your kids. i could be wrong though...as for it being hard to get into canada, its a long slow process but if he is going to employ people, that will go a long way to help him get in. if you are going to need a job, canada probably won't let you in unless your job is on the 'needed' list.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't think the caymans would be a place you'd want to raise your kids. i could be wrong though...as for it being hard to get into canada, its a long slow process but if he is going to employ people, that will go a long way to help him get in. if you are going to need a job, canada probably won't let you in unless your job is on the 'needed' list.

Seems real tough to immigrate to Canada with high financial requirements. See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/index.asp

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems real tough to immigrate to Canada with high financial requirements. See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/index.asp

yeah, its getting harder all the time. everyone i know who has came over recently has done so by having a 'sponsor' over here. I have a few relatives who came over from england in the past 20 years, some came as recently as past few years. they aren't rich or anything but all had jobs here already before even coming over, had sponsors, etc.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Other than the Caymans, I was thinking of places like Costa Rica. I understand it is reasonable housing prices, great education, good cost of living, and beautiful as well. I was there eons ago.

There seems to be quite a few people relocating there. Also, I believe there is no personal income tax.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Canada's most infamous serial killers are also from that area, correct?

I understand the cost of living and buying a place in Toronto has gone skyhigh.

I was in the Sarnia area years ago and really liked it.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Other than the Caymans, I was thinking of places like Costa Rica. I understand it is reasonable housing prices, great education, good cost of living, and beautiful as well. I was there eons ago.
I was in Costa Rica for a while about five years ago. Enjoyed it (especially the people & the nature excursions), with a few caveats. It was still pretty third-world in the rural regions, maybe first-and-a-half world in the more populated areas - a decent level of services & some modern conveniences, but you definitely knew you weren't in a fully up-to-date technical society. Great place to visit, though.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Vancouver cost of Living is just crazy.

It is one of the most expensive cities in the world - but there is a reason for it. It is always ranked in the top three cities in the world in to which one would want to live and work.

There seems to be a lot of exaggeration of the taxes to be paid - mostly from one troll. Canadian taxes averaged out are nearly identical to the United States - but what you get in return is what counts. Business taxes in Canada are amongst the lowest in industrialized world - and about to get cheaper depending on the outcome of the current sitting of parliament. Government is stable and we are heading towards another election which by all accounts will restore the current status quo which hasn't worked out all that bad.

With children you won't have to worry about medical bills. You get tax rebates for putting them into sports - heck you get tax rebates for just having kids! LOL

If Vancouver is too expensive Toronto is also nice but not a whole lot cheaper - and the weather is not nearly as good. Halifax is another nice city where prices are much cheaper and the weather is more stable year round.

As well going ahead Canada is sitting on more of two things the rest of the world needs more than anything else - fresh water and oil. Canada rode out the worst of the recession because of smart financial governance over the past 15 years - we didn't get sucked into the deregulation that sunk Ireland, Iceland and the United States. Our housing market is very stable and prices didn't drop across most markets. Unemployment while a bit high because of the recession is still lower than South of us and much of Europe. Canada's largest banks are ripping up the world markets and turning over record profits. The Canadian dollar continues to rise and surprisingly it hasn't hobbled our economy to any noticeable degree.

Finally if you do find yourself here and things go wrong financially - you can rest assured that in this liberal nation that you and your family will not be thrown to the wolves. We take care of our own.

Raider posted the following lie -
So if you sell a domain for $100,000, $50,000 of that goes to the Canadian Government, OUCH! I sure hope you have tax shelters.

That just isn't even remotely close to being true. Don't even waste a second believing such nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom