Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Ok. So had enough of living in the UK. Canada, is that the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But the fact that the only negative you can point out about Canada is some issues with the health care system goes to show that it's not too bad up here.

I'm not trying to make it sound bad... I'm just making some points that some others in this thread refuse to acknowledge... I'm sure it very nice up there. I personally wouldn't want to live there for a wide range of reasons, System of Government being the biggest reason. I like smaller Government, less taxes, less regulation, less intrusion into our lives.

Add into the equation of not only state tax (sales tax), but city tax (french quarter in New Orleans was 14%), and county taxes and guess what...we magically appear at or near the 15% tax.

Own a home? well, guess where your taxes are now.

Then add these little add ons like a hospitality tax (commonly found at Hotels and Theme parks) and that pushes us over the top.

You have to ADD all this to make your point? Are you really that desperate? I'm sure if we added other taxes into Quebec's sales tax we can grow theirs into the 20% range at least, maybe even 30%.

We also have States that have NO Sales tax; Oregon, Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire and Maryland... Did you mention those?, of course not, That would go against the point your trying to make.. You would much rather deceive the reader than be openly honest with them.

she lives in one of the most taxable states in the country with over 9% sales tax. Now, add in county tax, city tax, and any other little tax and guess what...you're Canadian!

Your finally right about something, actually it's 8.75 in Orange County and 9.75 in LA.... That's what happens when you have the biggest Welfare State in the country, Taxes increase... That's what happens when the size of Government grows and awards it's employees with outrageous salaries pensions plans we CANT afford, And that's what happens when illegal immigrants are allowed to flood our state, TAXES INCREASE.. The State of California is nearly bankrupt and it's the very policies that YOU support that have caused it.

The difference here is, I'm not here pumping up California as a place to live... It has more that it's share of problems, unlike you and some others here, I'm not afraid to admit them.. I guess I just don't have a ego to contend with like you and so many others here do.

Last edited:

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much of a stipend do parents receive per child in Quebec?

I think it all depends on the Parent/s income level, but it could be a few hundred dollars. Maybe I am wrong about this but those of you who live in Quebec
please shed some light on this.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make it sound bad... I'm just making some points that some others in this thread refuse to acknowledge... I'm sure it very nice up there. I personally wouldn't want to live there for a wide range of reasons, System of Government being the biggest reason. I like smaller Government, less taxes, less regulation, less intrusion into our lives.

Here we go again. I think we've made a good argument here that the taxes aren't that high. And we at least get some sort of value for the taxes we are forced to pay. As for the system of government being terrible, can you provide some examples? Also, can you make sure the examples are 1) Factual and 2) Worse than the American counterpart? Thanks

Edit: I'm not trying to single you out here...I'm honestly curious as to what outsiders think it's like up here. Don't feel like you have to answer this, I won't judge you either way

How much of a stipend do parents receive per child in Quebec?

Don't know what they get provincially, but Federally our Conservative government brought in a benefit where we get $1200/year for each child under 6. So there's at least that. And I'm sure there are tax credits and such that get accounted for at tax time...but actual cash paid is at least $1200/year per child from the Feds

Last edited:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't know what they get provincially, but Federally our Conservative government brought in a benefit where we get $1200/year for each child under 6. So there's at least that. And I'm sure there are tax credits and such that get accounted for at tax time...but actual cash paid is at least $1200/year per child from the Feds
Thanks. I heard the stipends are much higher in Quebec, then the rest of Canada.

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would also consider New Zealand and Australia (especially as a Brit.)

I have heard and read a lot of great things about OZ and NZ. The weather is great almost all year around in most of the parts.
The only thing is they are both far away from North America. OZ does offer free health care as well. The bad thing is they
changed the rule last year that to acquire citizenship it now takes 4 years instead of the 2 years it used to be until last year.

Same thing with NZ it used to be 3 years and now they changed it to 5 years. But one of the best things I like about NZ and OZ is
that citizens of both countries can go, live, study and work freely in the other country without any restrictions what so ever unlike US and Canada.
Matter of fact they can become permanent resident and eventually a citizen of the other country so easily. I am sure there are minor restrictions
but nothing major that most people can qualify.

USA and Canada don't allow that at all. There is a very strict and long process to become a permanent resident and a citizen of the other country.
Even longer and stricter in USA.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Hong Kong?

He said he wants something that feels like 'home' since there are so many Scottish/Irish/English decendents here, I assume thats why it feels more like home than Hong Kong, or even according to him, America.

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And as for the high income tax rates, I believe I posted earlier in this thread that I pay 18% income tax. Again, others pay more and others pay less, but I think 18% income tax isn't as high as you make it out to be.

I know individuals who are single with no dependants, and would otherwise belong in the highest tax bracket, but pay less than 20%. Being properly versed on our tax laws and hiring a good accountant will prove useful over the years.

Last edited:

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I think so. Maybe near around 300 or so per month but like I said it all depends on Parent/s income level.

The figure of 300 per month per child is pretty acurate. It's a non-taxable benefit, although ones income comes into play and some of it gets clawed back above a certain threshold (apologies; I don't remember the details). The 1200 yearly from the feds is an additional benefit, but this one is taxable. Hope the info was helpful. Best of luck.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The figure of 300 per month per child is pretty acurate. It's a non-taxable benefit, although ones income comes into play and some of it gets clawed back above a certain threshold (apologies; I don't remember the details). The 1200 yearly from the feds is an additional benefit, but this one is taxable. Hope the info was helpful. Best of luck.

Yes, thanks. On a practical basis. I think that it's safe to say, that a large family with a low income, definitely has certain advantages of living in Quebec. Just consider 4 children 4*1200 + 4*3600 = 19,200 per year.

Another issue, which I haven't noticed that anyone has brought up, that to the best of my knowledge, public schools in Canada are religious Christian schools, either Catholic or Protestant, which would save parents money that might otherwise send to a private school for that reason.

The main factor though is the French requirement.

Last edited:

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
go to china!! you'll live like a king!

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks. On a practical basis. I think that it's safe to say, that a large family with a low income, definitely has certain advantages of living in Quebec. Just consider 4 children 4*1200 + 4*3600 = 19,200 per year.

Another issue, which I haven't noticed that anyone has brought up, that to the best of my knowledge, public schools in Canada are religious Christian schools, either Catholic or Presbyterian, which would save parents money that might otherwise send to a private school for that reason.

The main factor though is the French requirement.

No doubt. A large family with low income is better served in Quebec. The government helps familes.

Yes, there are the catholic and protestant schools. There are even schools where kids learn three languages. Some of these are public others private. At the highschool level, one should consider sending the kids to private school depending on which area they live.

There are ways to send your kids to english schools only, but why rob your child of the ability to learn and master an extra language. If you speak english at home then send your kids to a french school. Send them to an english school if you speak french at home. They can switch again when they get to college and univeristy.

Newton

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want another British perspective, then Canada definitely. I have lived in Toronto and also checked out Quebec for a while, but Vancouver is superb. Prices are high but then you can always move out of town and get more bang for your buck and enjoy the countryside to the full extent, a retreat from the hustle and bustle. I live 15 mins from the US border (cheap smokes, drink, cars, shopping) and 40 mins from the main Vancouver city. Sure, it rains here for a couple of months, but that means snow on the mountains and unlimited snowboarding, skidoo's and skiing. The summers here are stunning with temperatures approaching Marbella with plenty of decent golf, the best salmon / trout / steelhead fishing in the world right just up the road. There is just so much here to see and do, plus the kids will love it here. The people here are wonderful, friendly and they will bend over backwards for you.

The worst part of Canada is leaving it! Every time I have stepped off the plane at Heathrow and looked around, it made me think.. what the f*** am I doing back here.

Congratulations on the new boy :)

Last edited:

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow... some hot topic this was. I have scored about 70 points but said I would need a company to sponsor me. I am however hoping to move my own company, so not sure how that would work. I am going to visit Toronto later this year to really get a feel for the place.

But, I am happy to share a thought which makes me think CANADA is a good choice. I never hear the news talk about how much people hate CANADA, I have heard it about the Brits, The French, the Americans, Africans, Middle Eastern, Australians etc.. but never Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom