Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed One of my best !! Please appraise.

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi. Today morning i secured a domain, i was tracking for a long long time !!

It's :

www.MobilePhoneGames.com

MobilePhone games have picked up well in Asia --They are a rage in Japan. They should be soon a big thing in US & Europe.

(Genki !! Hope you are listening. Wanna make an offer :) ?? )

This should be a good domain. Please have a go at this !!

Hope this end's my bad streak !! :D

regards,

Windy

Note:

Wireless Gaming is a $11 billion industry.

Datamonitor predicts the number of wireless gamers in the United States will more than quadruple from 29.8 million this year to 124.6 million people in 2006. (Excrept from CNN.com).

Mobile gaming is already a hit in Asia -- bringing in an estimated $827 million revenues in 2001 !!

Domain summit 2024

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In Australia, they're called Mobile Phones, elsewhere they're called Cell Phones I believe.

Does that limit the market a bit?

Lats...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lats In Australia, they're called Mobile Phones, elsewhere they're called Cell Phones I believe. Does that limit the market a bit? Lats...

The marketing term has changed some time ago in the U.S. from Cell Phones to Wireless Phones (not mobile phones).

The term Wireless Phones is used all the time, rarely if ever are they called mobile or cell phones anymore. This has been the trend for the past 2 yrs or so.

On a side note, it's odd why the zillions of wireless domains remain unpopular. Most were reg'd 2 or 3 yrs ago during the 3G and WAP craziness mass domain registration rush.

Still, the wireless names rarely if ever sell but now that Wireless is such a common word it seems like Wireless Domain popularity should have increased but I do not think it ever did.

I let most all of my wireless domains expire and drop, except for a few of the best ones.

Anyone here have ideas on why the wireless domains (and also 3G) are still not popular. The term 3G is also much more popular now and starting to get good exposure but it has also not helped sales of the zillions of 3G names from what I understand. Why?

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Lats, It's " Mobile " in Europe & in many parts of Asia too. I am not very sure of the Japanese...

The point that you can call them " handy", " GSMs" , " cell" ,
or " cellular" does give the concept, a lot of other possible combinations. I checked out these combinations too & most of them have already been taken.

Though, there could be a slight dilution because of the " lingo" factor , " Mobile" is the most popular word after " cellular' .

In my opinion, the domain name can be graded as a good one, considering that it's generic virtues, rarity & the market size.

This is just my take. I welcome realistic & frank appraisals.

thanks.

Windy

Stouch

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Mobile in the UK :)

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was a nice insight on the US market, Real Names !!

Most of the articles I read, when I was researching the market, were from American publications like CNN, Wired.Business2.com and all of them referred to the phones - as Mobile Phones or cell phones !! Not wireless phones. May be the word ' wireless' has not yet entered the common american lingo. This is just my understanding of it.

I have some more here. Excrept from Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42461,00.html)

" Four out of five mobile phone users in the U.S. and Western Europe will play mobile games by 2005, according to the market analyst firm Datamonitor. That adds up to 200 million customers and $6 billion in revenue over the next four years, mostly from sponsorships, pay-to-play charges, and subscriptions. "

As stouch said, they're known as mobile phones here in the UK - never heard anyone refer to them as wireless phones so the UK market seems like a good one to tap. There are a number of companies developing games for 3g/gprs as a hoped "killer app" so maybe you can get lucky there.

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's some good feedback - I should have added to my comment that I believe it's a great domain name.

Not being into mobile games myself though, I couldn't put a price on it.

Lats...

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks lats !! Glad you like the domain !!

As Safesys said, there are a whole lot of companies worldwide who are developing games for mobile phones. They should be certainly interested in the domain.

Another point is that this segment is going to turn like the successful telephone tunes pay & download segment, so the domain would be great for a online entity which operates on this model. Revenue channels, i can think of off the cuff are:

Pay & Download/ play
Subscription services
Upgrades & patch downloads
Sponserships
Others.-- cross selling/ upselling

There are a whole lot of revenue streams to be made for a online business.

I will hold and wait for the market to pick up.

None of the other members have hazarded a price on it !! Can someone drop a realistic $ figure.

Cellular
In wireless communications, cellular basically refers to the structure of the wireless transmission networks which are comprised of cells or transmission sites. Cellular is also the name of the wireless telephone system originally developed by Bell Laboratories that used low-powered analog radio equipment to transmit within cells. The terms "cellular phone" or "cell phone" are used interchangeably to refer to wireless phones. Within the wireless industry, cellular is also used to refer to non-PCS products and services.
(refernce) http://www.nokiausa.com/support/faq/glossary/1,4575,A|F,00.html

Mobile Phone
A term often used interchangeably with cellular phone or wireless phone. Initially, a mobile phone referred to a phone attached to a vehicle, the vehicle's battery and had an external antenna. Mobile phones were distinguished from transportable, portable, cordless and personal phones. See also Transportable Phones.
(refernce) http://www.nokiausa.com/support/faq/glossary/1,4575,G|M,00.html

http://www.nokia.com/ refers it as "Mobile Phone"

http://www.ericsson.com/ refers it as "Mobile Phone"

http://www.motorola.com/ refers it as "Wireless Phone"
and "Cellular Phone"

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Goh, You aint no nuffin. Thanks for the perspective.

My take , In order of importance

Europe, Asia : Mobile, Cellular, Wireless (??)
US: Cellular, mobile, Wireless

Wireless is predominantly, a creation of the US Telcos & they are for sure promoting the term. Not common parlance yet.

The Europeans like mobile. And that is very very fine with me.

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello. Everybody please take a shot at this.

Thank You.

Arvind

jag5311

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just registered verizongames.com

Now, I planned on developing it into a wireless website that offered games, especially for phones using verizon wireless, but other cellular services as well. Now, I do not believe I am on copyright infringment here, or trademark infringement as long as I am not looking for profit from customers, correct? The only way I would look for profit would be selling the domain to someone. Now, if my intentions are not to sell to Verizon, then I am in the safe, correct?

Let me know your opinions. Alot of people have bought sites like mobilephonegames.com , cellulargames.com, ect..

thanks
bryan

P

President Gringo

nice domain, will reach its potential soon, one to hold i think.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in the US, and I've never heard anyone refer to his "wireless phone." It's always "cell phone" or just plain "cell."

I do think this is a good domain name for the European market.

Wired

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have regged gowireless.us.

Although the term is popular in advertisements (here in US) we refer our cellular phones as car or cell phones.

But...in the some near future, I believe that we will be a predominantly wireless communication society, esp. in our homes, as wireless phone technology becomes more secure. So when referring to our no wire phone systems, I think we will say, when we refer to our home systems, I'm wireless; and not cellular or mobile since these are associated with mobility rather than mode of installation.

Just my opinion tho.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gourd
I live in the US, and I've never heard anyone refer to his "wireless phone." It's always "cell phone" or just plain "cell."

I do think this is a good domain name for the European market.

The "cell phones" have it!

It's either cell or cell phone in the US.

Frankly, I think this will be a "fad". Playing games with your "cell phone" is a non-starter IMHO. The sad thing is millions dollars will spent trying to promote these games, rather than trying to develop really useful communication tools.

Trying to make a phone into a game may keep the interest of a few for a little while, but it won't keep the rest of us interested very long. Meanwhile, some small obscure company out there who doesn't have to "create it's own version" of Mario Bros III onto it's cell phone, is actually trying to build a useful communication product.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with izopod. Can't imagine wasting time trying to play a game on a tiny cell phone screen. PDA's have a much bigger screen and I don't think anyone got rich making games for PDA's.

P

President Gringo

you'd be surprised how adictive those games are.....i remember snakes on my nokia....class phone and helped pass the time on the subway.

Now there are color screens, and the games are more advance. Won't be too long before you can play games with yoru friends over the phone sort of thing. Been playing battleships on my T68i, and you can even play solitare on it :)

Mobile phone is better than cell, as the UK/European market is far ahead of the US one :).

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how many names are on hold in this market. For anyone else that wants to join the club, it looks as if gamephone.net and gamephones.net are still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators