Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Outstanding news for .mobi owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a great browser it will help a lot surfing those incredible .mobi sites in the near future. You can even browse the old .com in PC style if you still use .coms....
Now the full potential of .mobi can finally be appreciated you will be able to browse youtube.com like youtube.mobi so why in hell would people still use the .com version when the .mobi version is identical? I think big companies will push .mobis even further...

Skyfire.mobi was already registred... damn what a lucky guy imagine the incredible amount of type ins per day.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/28/skyfire-browser-for-windows-mobile-is-game-changing-does-flash/

Domain Summit 2024

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're confused.

This is a player that will CONVERT regular sites to be viewable in Smart Phones running Windows Mobile.

This will HURT .mobis because people won't have to make special .mobi sites but regular sites will be compatible with any phone.

This is another example of why .mobi will ultimately fail. As phones get more sophisticated, browsers such as this one are created that can render virtually any page (including those with rich content such as flash files) to small screen factor, there will never be a need to have a seperate extension just for phones.

I can predict how many "typeins" skyfire.mobi is getting. The number is 0. Everyone will be looking at skyfire.com because the average cell phone user doesn't know what .mobi is (and never will know).

Luc Lezon

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I am not that confused... :)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're confused.

This is a player that will CONVERT regular sites to be viewable in Smart Phones running Windows Mobile.

This will HURT .mobis because people won't have to make special .mobi sites but regular sites will be compatible with any phone.

This is another example of why .mobi will ultimately fail. As phones get more sophisticated, browsers such as this one are created that can render virtually any page (including those with rich content such as flash files) to small screen factor, there will never be a need to have a seperate extension just for phones.

I can predict how many "typeins" skyfire.mobi is getting. The number is 0. Everyone will be looking at skyfire.com because the average cell phone user doesn't know what .mobi is (and never will know).

Luc Lezon
He was being sarcastic.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great software. This is another big nail in the .mobey coffin.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Quick, send this link to Vision :D

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That doesnt sound like good news .. :(

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how the hell will it help .mobi?

People will just keep on going to the .com site now, even more than before.

Flying Dutchman

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to see those big over-advertized dot com sites on my mobile-phone(can't get used to the word cell-phone)
Nor all those parked dot com sites.

.mobi is there to identify a fast, mobile compatible site, wich provides exact
the information you need.

So, it is limited in its use(yes I said it). but it will be there now and in the future.

And, indeed, it is nothing new that you can browse any site on your mobile-phone, but many times you will not need all the info provided on the full site,
so you will be scrolling like hell to find what you are searching for.
Companies have recognized this and start .mobi sites with just the info
needed.

Now, i don't see what the problems are with this, its not a threat for .com
or any other TLD.

Ron

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perfect solution that a lot of sites are already implementing.

When you first load the page, it checks your browser, if its from a mobile device it redirects you to a mobile site (like wap.dnforum.com or mobile.dnforum.com etc..).

Plus, with the capacity of browsers on mobile phones (and I've used a lot of them over the past 7-8 years) .mobi is not needed and soon, probabaly by the end of 2009, even the mobile browsers won't be needed (IMO they're not now except to adjust screen sizes to the smaller screens, lower quality images etc..).

.Mobi was a great idea, just several years too late.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good for you guys, you make quite the nice clique

and here in the .mobi sub forum no less

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This has been addressed by Apple iPhone enthusiasts and mobile browser technologists...

Here is one of their perspectives....

The iPhone has completely changed how I interact with information on the go. When I travel I leave the notebook at home. I take the iPhone, an Airport Express for the hotel room (or anywhere) and an APC power pack for heavier use days. Everything else lives on a 8 GB USB stick or "the cloud." The exception is if I think I am going to need to create or edit rich content, like a Powerpoint deck.

Still, for all of the enthusiasm about the iPhone and it's ability to browse most of the broader web, it's made me realize that there will always be a place for the mobile Internet. More than two-thirds of the time I am accessing the web from my iPhone, I am connecting to mobile or "iPhonized" sites that are in between the stripped down versions and the real thing. This includes when I am using wifi. I have two bookmarks for many of my favorite sites - one for the mobile or iPhone-specific version, another for the real thing.

That's bad news for web developers who are hoping that one day they won't need to re-code sites for handheld devices. The problem is they will always have to even if broadband is truly ubiquitous. The reason is cell phones and other gadgets are designed to fit in your hand. It doesn't matter if it's a PSP, a Treo or an iPhone or whatever comes next. From a UI(User Interface) perspective, mobile sites work beautifully on phones - as do information apps if the platform supports it.

This means web sites increasingly need to give consumers a choice when browsing from a mobile device. Many do not. They "sniff" what browser you're using and then serve up the site that will give you the best experience. The problem is that browser sniffing, particularly on devices like the iPhone, doesn't work because it supports all page formats.

Consider weather.com, for example. The popular weather site determines your browser and then serves up a site that's best formatted for it. Enter the iPhone, however. There are times you want to browse the lite version (weather.mobi) and other times you want the big daddy(weather.com). Unfortunately, they don't give you a choice and this in particular has caused some iPhone users to get upset.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is digg. You can browse the full version, a mobile site or an iPhone flavor. You get to decide.

The mobile web is far from dead but consumer choice is just as critical as these devices get more sophisticated.

It is about consumer choice ....

So it makes a lot of sense to have the choice between ESPN.com and ESPN.mobi

ESPN.com is still available to all - including those mobile users (presumably with time to kill) who really *do* want to read about Brett Favre's favorite pregame meal, learn about the childhood memories of Randy Moss or see video of David Beckham's Los Angeles mansion.

But ESPN.mobi provides a slick, efficient, well-crafted set of just scores and headlines relevant to the user's very specific mobile usage context. The marketing leadership at ESPN speaks positively about ESPN.mobi and that is why ESPN promotes ESPN.mobi, in order to give consumers a choice.

-Michael

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this type of bashing is like a rash that won't go away...

Who gives a rats booty anymore...? .mobi is here. it will be here for years. no matter how much you complain about this extension, regardless how much you "think" you know more, .mobi will stay and keep going and going and going...

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good for you guys, you make quite the nice clique

and here in the .mobi sub forum no less

backslappers anonymous..

it is entertaining to see people comment on things they know so little about..

kinda cute..... almost. :)

KaneCo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has been addressed by Apple iPhone enthusiasts and mobile browser technologists...

Here is one of their perspectives....

It is about consumer choice ....

So it makes a lot of sense to have the choice between ESPN.com and ESPN.mobi

But ESPN.mobi provides a slick, efficient, well-crafted set of just scores and headlines relevant to the user's very specific mobile usage context. The marketing leadership at ESPN speaks positively about ESPN.mobi and that is why ESPN promotes ESPN.mobi, in order to give consumers a choice.

-Michael

espn.mobi sucks and I use it all the time, limits the information too much, mobile sportsline is better. Espn does not even give you scores for some games that happened the same day. For any .mobi too work it has to be the same information in a readable format, not limited information in a slick looking screen.

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow...I feel so bad for you guys trying to bash .mobi I really do!

The fact that you cannot see that this type of software is actually good for .mobi just shows how narrow minded you are:disappointed:

Thanks for posting the news tho:smilewinkgrin:

Let's hope all cell phones will use this type of software in the near future! Then .mobi can really show it's true potential.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there are three groups of .mobi people.

1. .mobi lovers - hyping up the ext, majority for their own personal benefit because they invested heavily.
2. .mobi haters - can't stand to see ICANN approve these useless tld's, maybe they missed the boat, maybe they don't want to be on the boat.
3. .mobi realist - wait and see approach, these people have watched people pump up every new fad since IDN to .eu. Maybe they buy some, maybe they buy none but they don't hate or like the new tld. For speculation's sake some will invest in every new tld.

I am a realist, I have some .mobi names but I don't over-hype or exaggerate the benefits of the extension. In the end none of us here will make it fail or succeed. IDN, .mobi, .asia will all have their place but let's not make it a dramatic event every year when a new tld is released. In reality nothing changes, there is no new internet, the same protocol is used with new fancy letters at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom