Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Outstanding news for .mobi owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is one of their perspectives....

Quote:
The iPhone has completely changed how I interact with information on the go. When I travel I leave the notebook at home. I take the iPhone, an Airport Express for the hotel room (or anywhere) and an APC power pack for heavier use days. Everything else lives on a 8 GB USB stick or "the cloud." The exception is if I think I am going to need to create or edit rich content, like a Powerpoint deck.

Still, for all of the enthusiasm about the iPhone and it's ability to browse most of the broader web, it's made me realize that there will always be a place for the mobile Internet. More than two-thirds of the time I am accessing the web from my iPhone, I am connecting to mobile or "iPhonized" sites that are in between the stripped down versions and the real thing. This includes when I am using wifi. I have two bookmarks for many of my favorite sites - one for the mobile or iPhone-specific version, another for the real thing.

That's bad news for web developers who are hoping that one day they won't need to re-code sites for handheld devices. The problem is they will always have to even if broadband is truly ubiquitous. The reason is cell phones and other gadgets are designed to fit in your hand. It doesn't matter if it's a PSP, a Treo or an iPhone or whatever comes next. From a UI(User Interface) perspective, mobile sites work beautifully on phones - as do information apps if the platform supports it.

This means web sites increasingly need to give consumers a choice when browsing from a mobile device. Many do not. They "sniff" what browser you're using and then serve up the site that will give you the best experience. The problem is that browser sniffing, particularly on devices like the iPhone, doesn't work because it supports all page formats.

Consider weather.com, for example. The popular weather site determines your browser and then serves up a site that's best formatted for it. Enter the iPhone, however. There are times you want to browse the lite version (weather.mobi) and other times you want the big daddy(weather.com). Unfortunately, they don't give you a choice and this in particular has caused some iPhone users to get upset.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is digg. You can browse the full version, a mobile site or an iPhone flavor. You get to decide.

The mobile web is far from dead but consumer choice is just as critical as these devices get more sophisticated.
It is about consumer choice ....

copied and pasted from the .mobi evangelist almanac.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fact that you cannot see that this type of software is actually good for .mobi just shows how narrow minded you are:disappointed:

Please enlighten us.....

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm narrow minded?!? Ok, whatever. Continue to be brainwashed; I quit.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In response from mTLD Director, Vance Hedderrel with respect to the Skyfizzle browser, and .mobi ...

We've talked about it on the blog more than once but smartphones, browser advances, .com-based converted web sites, etc., are ultimately "features" and don't address the mobile context.

Mobile is commonly called "the third screen" with TVs and PCs being the first and second ones. Each one addresses specific needs, has unique uses and different revenue streams.

Transcoding or otherwise making a standard ".com" site available on a mobile phone doesn't usually address what a person wants he's when on the go. That's why context is the overriding factor that leads to mobile-appropriate content.

As far as .mobi sites resolving to alternate addresses ...

Millions of sites -- mobile or otherwise -- use multiple addresses to ensure end users can find their content.

Further to that point, of the top ten mobile web sites (as ranked by Nielsen), 50% have at least three addresses resolving to the same site and all but two have at least two different URLs. However, all but one has a .mobi (or is about to go .mobi), which makes .mobi the most popular URL of the top 10.

Are they all advertising their .mobi addresses? No. And that's one of many items dotMobi is working on in 2008.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobi tld should register as a religion. They have an answer for everything and no shortage of preachers to spread the word.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want all domains to succeed but temper you enthusiasm with a tad of reality. They will simply not succeed because of the mTLD director. It's others that must push the TLD forward and promote the .mobi brand. You can't will a domain to success. .mobi pushers don't be blinded by your passion to be objective, if it comes it will come and if not well then....

JMO
3 dollar

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with .mobi and own 20-30 of them I think...sold a few early on which paid for all my regs...I would consider myself a wait and see investor in .mobi.

I see the vision the .mobi proponents have with the .mobi for the mobile specific content...

As a parallel I would think the .mobi proponents would also be heavily invested in .tv...as internet & mobile tv will be lager than life before we know it....and I would think the same reasoning would apply.

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
self destruct!!!

IDName :D I have a problem with IDN's, like type the domain in your language, then switch keyboard to english, type the extn! type 2 langs to get to one website! I am sick of it stopped using IDN's for now until I get to type in one language that is I should be able to type extn also in my language!

When is it coming, oh well where did this discussion came from? I am offf :D

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FYI, I have just 1 IDN domain (and it's rubbish) :lol:

I'm leaving them for the rest of the world cos I don't have much interest in other languages.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Flying Dutchman

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rod Stewart

I am sailing, I am sailing
Home again 'cross the sea

I am sailing stormy waters
To be near you, to be free

I am flying, I am flying
Like a bird, 'cross the sky

I am flying passing high clouds
To be with you, to be free

Can you hear me, Can you hear me
Through the dark night, far away

I am dying, forever crying
To be with you, who can say

Can you hear me, Can you hear me
Through the dark night, far away

I am dying, forever crying
To be with you, who can say

We are sailing, We are sailing
Home again, 'cross the sea

We are sailing stormy waters
To be near you, to be free
Oh my Lord to be near you, to be free

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a .mobi owner. :yes:
And the best!

You're confused.

This is a player that will CONVERT regular sites to be viewable in Smart Phones running Windows Mobile.

This will HURT .mobis because people won't have to make special .mobi sites but regular sites will be compatible with any phone.

This is another example of why .mobi will ultimately fail. As phones get more sophisticated, browsers such as this one are created that can render virtually any page (including those with rich content such as flash files) to small screen factor, there will never be a need to have a seperate extension just for phones.

I can predict how many "typeins" skyfire.mobi is getting. The number is 0. Everyone will be looking at skyfire.com because the average cell phone user doesn't know what .mobi is (and never will know).

Luc Lezon
So 2000 think.

A browser does not render it a user friendly site. It renders and detects it being a small screen.

You should try the .com sites on a smart phone for a real pain in the *** experience after the browser and software makes a piss poor decision and interpretation as to what is relevant and what is not.

Imagine a browser determining what will be displayed on a site? Not for my money or anyone else's, in my opinion. Talk about a stripped down site.

Then, thank god I have it as an option, I have to click on the HTML prompt to get the graphics, the header, and usually the log in. And what else do I get?

The whole damn site that you see on the PC. Talk about scrolling scrolling scrolling. And if you think the iPhone did much to improve the user experience, it merely CHANGED how the user scrolls. Call it anything you want, it is still scrolling. Take the front page of the new york times and fit it in a 3 x 5 screen. So we are talking about reducing something by a factor of 500%, showing you a picture and saying, "Seek! Find!" Scrolling is scrolling.

I love the iPhone, don't get me wrong.

But with .mobi compliant standards, each site is designed to fit any device, including your PC and laptop, without any special browser or auto detection needs. AND, most importantly, to be fully functional.

Again, I really fail to see why there is so little acceptance.

What's the big deal? Technology already in place? Can do it with an auto detect browser? Can use any extension to do it?

Sure. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom